How slow are these thing really? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine does the state speed limit of 65 mph... and Im happy about that....!!!
VERY HAPPY .....

Sounds like a find at 800. At this price, you have plenty of "financial space" to take a risk, particularly in light of the mileage and condition as you describe these issues. Good luck.

My 62 will go 80 plus after that to loud and to much vibrations. It will go 70 all day long

With a V8 a 60 will get up and go. With a 2F or 3FE not so much get up and go. And with a modern (fuel injected V8 you don't loose any mileage compared to the 2F/3FE. (at least after the first month of the conversion, those first few weeks are full of burning up your 33's and speed runs to impress your friends and neighbors)

Dynosoar:zilla:

I beg to differ. 2f has plenty of power. :D

I've never understood the issue with these trucks - I have to think if you're that shocked at the speed, there's something wrong. I have an 85 with 190k on it, 33s, and I can accelerate into traffic, merge, pass, cruise at 75 or 80, no problem. Yes, hills are definitely an issue - right lane, occasional blinkers. But overall it seems strong as hell, at least compared to some of the stories I've heard on here.

I've never understood the issue with these trucks - I have to think if you're that shocked at the speed, there's something wrong. I have an 85 with 190k on it, 33s, and I can accelerate into traffic, merge, pass, cruise at 75 or 80, no problem. Yes, hills are definitely an issue - right lane, occasional blinkers. But overall it seems strong as hell, at least compared to some of the stories I've heard on here.

I second this. The only thing it lacks is uphill grade speed.

If you have to ask yourself if it's too slow then you're not addicted just yet.

I second this. The only thing it lacks is uphill grade speed.

If you have to ask yourself if it's too slow then you're not addicted just yet.

I agree as well. I have an fj62 with 195k and 33's and 4.11's. Only time it ever feels sluggish is in traffic with fan clutch locked in and a/c on during the hot summer or on steep hills. I have no problems doing 80+. Travelling between Nashville and Memphis, I do a constant 85-90 mph. No problem. Going so fast is largely due to running 33's and the speedometer being off, when it reads 70 I'm doing around 80 I think.

I think maybe sometimes people like to exaggerate how slow their cruiser goes. Its almost like bragging rights, everyone wants their cruiser to be the slowest instead of the fastest.

Last edited:
60's are a step up from the famous early Toyota 4 cyl pickups that I drove for years. Hell I think I have power now. Love the low end torque.

Very excited to have so many replies. I definately did not expect it to be even remotely quick, there is def. somthing going on though. I will ck the kickdown cable. It did feel a bit like a gearing issue. It has stock size tires. I do get to test drive it for a week next week while I do the front 5.29s in my 80. Been reading FAQ and searching like crazy. Thanks again!:beer:

ive never driven a 62 (probly due to my loathing of auto trans) and mines got a 5spd but, i can drive as fast as i need to. the weekend i bought my cruiser (i picked it up a couple hunderd miles away) i tesyed it out on the way home. a perfect oppertunity arose on I-5. one of those cars that wants to pace the rear quarter or a semi of like 8 million miles, with a giant line of cars waiting to pass. well the semi picked up a few mph to go up a long over pass hill and i jumped at the chance, down shift to 4th step on it and passed 5 or 6 cars changed lanes then passed the semi. and that was on 33's with flat spots (the po didn't think it was important to move the truck occasionally)
i think at the fastest i was going like 85 ish but my speed-o is also off like 10% i think.

i think it really throws people off when i pass em i get alot of strange looks especially when it's one of those people in sports cars doin 5 mph under the limit.

My 2h diesel isn't slow either. I love the fact that you can be 5 up with a heavy load and it won't affect the speed really (not like in a car). I have had well over 80mph in France in mine and seemed alright by it. It is standard with no turbo.

Like has been said I think they are plenty quick enough for what the are ment for.

I do think (as with all cars) if they haven't been driven with a bit of "enthusiasm" for some time they tend to get a bit clogged up. A good full service (inc checking the brakes for binding!) should loosen it up a bit - then take it for some "italian tuning" to clear the cobwebs...

at that price i dont think you can lose. ive paid more than that for a rust bucket .

My FJ62 can't get out of it's own way. I have to slam the pedal down just to make room to change lanes. When it kicks down and the fan clutch is engaged it sounds like a jet taking off but looks as if you are movie backwards. I just hope the guy in the VW Bug next to me doesn't think I'm trying to race and pinch me out.

Other fine moments of FJ62 power prowess are times when you are making good time down the freeway at 75mph passing camper trailers left and right.. Then.... what's that ahead?? Uh oh. A 6% grade. Now you get to watch all the camper trailers and some motorhomes pass you on the up hill. But don't worry. Eventually there is the other side and you can pass them all right back on the downhill. Between Oregon and California on I-5, you get to see the same people several times in a trip as there are many grade changes through that corridor. Good fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom