How NOT to restore the FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good Heavens, Jim... I'll bet this engine didn't look this good coming off the assembly line! Thanks for all your work to restore this for me!

Jim - Great thread. And for me timely. Everytime I read your posts I learn somthing new.

One question Who manufactures the head gasket that you use? I thought most people went with the OEM Toyota head gasket. But if there are different options out there that may be helpful. In your post (#140) it sounded like there might be alternatives as long as the head gasket was made of graphlex.

thanks again.

Frank

The graphlex gasket that came with the FelPro overhaul gasket set was used. It is a good gasket, though not quite as fancy as the OE toyota part. Since this is the lower compression 2F, it will be fine with the not quite OE gasket.
That being said, if it was an 81-later hi-compresion head, it would definitely get the OE gasket.

Good to know I am on the correct track. I was planning to use the OEM Toyota head gasket on the 2FE.

Reading throught this thread I feel sorry for the CO of this 40. It sounds like he was "sold a bill of goods". But at least now I'm sure it will be well sorted when done.

Frank

For your 2FE, rememember to use the gasket that matches the cyl head, so a 3FE head gasket. The blocks all look the same on top, but the heads have different coolant passages through the years, so the gasket must match the head.

a bit late chiming in on this thread, but being in the natural gas industrial engine business for 30+ years, i've certainly seen my share of overhauled "paint jobs" and the one you have there is right in line with most!!

to divulge the name of the jobber who did this might subject one to a liable suit, so prudence should take precedence... let the buyer beware!

Please post up if anybody finds another friendly fork dealer. The normal ones don't want to talk about Cruiser parts, 'cause they are totally different from fork parts. :rolleyes:

Hi Jim,

Just read this interesting thread, learned a lot.

I have access to a universal forklift parts supplier which has an enormous stock. Had some luck sometime with oversize crankshaft bearings for the 12H-T which were not available at Toyota. Only thing is I live in europe, (but this parts supplier goes worldwide).

You can always ask me a question for something, maybe I can help.

Paul.

Back to a previously discussed topic: antisieze. I have used this stuff for years:

http://www.swagelok.com/products/le...lants/lubricants/silver-goop.aspx?showLogin=N

Its kinda not cheap, but it works better than anything I have used on anything connected to exhaust nuts and bolts.

It also has anti-gal properties too, so if you ever get a stainless exhaust system you can take it apart again if you have too.

BTW, fantastic thread - lots to learn.

Cheers,

Karl

jim,
how's the engine rebuild going?
Rebuild is done, but the photos & postings aren't up to date.

Next is to install pumps.
The fuel pump is pretty clean on the outside, like it was replaced recently.

DSC07755.jpg

The actuating arm has very little wear, and opening it up reveals a rubber diaphragm in good condition, indicating low miles. The date code indicates it was likely made in june of 1998 and installed in the course of the previous botched rebuild around 2001.

DSC07754.jpg

The FP is OK to reinstall. :clap:

The WP that was on the engine was also new-ish, but was the wrong one, having the oil cooler fitting for a later engine. The cooler barb was closed with a cheapo rubber cap that was seriously degraded from the heat and oil contamination. A new OEM WP of the correct configuration will be installed. But the correct WP is recently discontinued from Toyota. :eek:
Rockauto to the rescue. A genuine Aisin WP is less than $100 in an aftermarket box. :grinpimp:

The patriotic red white & blue box is labeled:
DSC07762.jpg

And here is where the OEM mark was hurriedly ground off:
DSC07759.jpg

This is what an Aisin WP looks like:

DSC07757.jpg

To be continued....

Pumps...
The oil pump is opened up and found to be new OEM also, so it is closed up, screws locktited, spring shimmed slightly for good measure.

All pumps installed with correct fasteners:
DSC07764.jpg

Adjust valves, install valve cover, side cover and oil pan, closing out the long block.
Hang fuel lines and alt/AC bracket, install fan with correct OEM flange nuts.

DSC07806.jpg

Next: fighting the fawktastic AC install.:mad:

Your work is outstanding. Disappointing that the previous work was so poor. What's worse is I see that kind of work all the time on many brands of cars and machines. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom