How NOT to do a clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If that cam plug had been spinning those little rusty crustation markings wouldn't be there..........the whole outer mating surface would be slicked over smooth......
Besides, there would have been an oil leak from hell.........
Those aren't rust pits, that's where the small vice-grips grabbed it real good, once the plug started to come out. It spun freely by fingertip as installed, but when the big magnet was stuck to it and tried to pull it out, it would stick. Some abuse was required for removal, but it was junk anyway.

And yes, there was a righteous oil leak that was initially assumed to be a rear main.
But noooo.... rear main was new & dry.

Out of curiousity, why not just heli coil the BH back to the right threads?
4 bolt holes were grenaded, and one broken bolt.

5 helicoils in one component is about 3 too many, IMHO.

Cam backlash could be a sign of c-clip not being installed on the cam gear?

Does the vehicle have any Clemson Mafia stickers on it. I swear it has to be one of their vehicles. It just has to be.

Great story.

Clemson Mafia? Story please...

wasn't that rig on the red green show?

1. Best laugh I've had on MUD in WEEKS!

2. I submitted a VERY similar story to TT for publication a couple of years ago, full of colorful anecdotes from the CO, who was friends with the PO who did the 'work' [and I use that term loosely] The story was passed over as not-PC.

3. Sell him two new front motor mounts while you're at it.

4 bolt holes were grenaded, and one broken bolt.

5 helicoils in one component is about 3 too many, IMHO.

FYI: Helicoils are stronger than the original thread. There are some manufactured parts that use Helicoils right from the factory.

Never discount industrious retards...

Or a Cruiser from south America...

. . .

2. I submitted a VERY similar story to TT for publication a couple of years ago, full of colorful anecdotes from the CO, who was friends with the PO who did the 'work' [and I use that term loosely] The story was passed over as not-PC.
. . .

That's too bad. I think I'd have enjoyed reading it. Lord knows TT needs a little deviation from the script. (You know the one: "I met up with so and so at the truck stop on highway whatever to ride co-pilot at the run . . . Made it to camp late and set up in the dark . . . Did trail X next morning with trail leader Joe -- what a great spotter! -- while Bob lead the late-sleepers on trail Y . . . Met up for the raffle that night . . . Incredible trucks these Toyotas . . . Great time was had by all, and what great people! can't wait for next year.")

You just described the template for a Peterson Magazine Publication story line.

That's too bad. I think I'd have enjoyed reading it. Lord knows TT needs a little deviation from the script. (You know the one: "I met up with so and so at the truck stop on highway whatever to ride co-pilot at the run . . . Made it to camp late and set up in the dark . . . Did trail X next morning with trail leader Joe -- what a great spotter! -- while Bob lead the late-sleepers on trail Y . . . Met up for the raffle that night . . . Incredible trucks these Toyotas . . . Great time was had by all, and what great people! can't wait for next year.")

I would love to see this type of technical stuff in TT as well as how Jim fixed it correctly.

Stories like these and one mentioned by Mark are what I live for. I find things like this from time to time and while It pisses me off to no end when I find this stuff on my trucks cars and friends vehicles, I always laugh afterward and have a good campfire story for the fellow gearheads.

We need a PO, Prior Mechanic thread hotline keep our sense of humor intact, especailly helpful when our projects make us feel it "couldn't get any worse"! Thanks Jim keep the good wrenches blazing!

Plug removal

Those aren't rust pits, that's where the small vice-grips grabbed it real good, once the plug started to come out. It spun freely by fingertip as installed, but when the big magnet was stuck to it and tried to pull it out, it would stick. Some abuse was required for removal, but it was junk anyway.

Next time just screw a self tapping screw into the center of the plug, when the screw contacts the cam the plug will follow the threads of the screw outward.;)

Got the tranny & clutch all back together, test drove the truck about 100 feet, and realized gas was coming out of the gas tank under the passenger seat. Quickly remove tank, after confirming all gears & transfer positions & PTO work. Found the bondo patch on bottom of tank was leaking where the mud-soaked tank was rusting back through the bondo. Like the side of my neighbor's '77 MonteCarlo.

A new tank is on order.

Pulled the dissy out for a rebuild (THAT is the reason the truck was brought in!).
By prying at the dissy gear, the cam was easily slid fore & aft 1/8+". :eek:
Well, now we do have to pull off the front cover to check the c-clip and thrust plate.:mad:

The C-clip was MIA and the cam gear was walked out as far as it could go, while nibbling on the back of the crankshaft oil slinger. Had the engine been a later model, without slinger, I suppose the gear woulda walked out 'til it tapped against the cover. :rolleyes:

By prying the cam forward through the dissy hole, heating the cam gear w/ propane, and using a 32mm socket as a driver, the cam gear was whacked back in place and a new lock-ring was installed. Attached is pic showing new ring installed. Hammer marks on gear and cam snout lead me to believe that previous rebuilder installed cam, then attempted to beat gear into place.

Next- rebuild the dissy that has been previously rebuilt by a sweatshop...
DSC05866.jpg
DSC05862.jpg

Regarding PO's and their "fixes", when I bought my 78 40, I noticed a small piece of plastic tubing on one brake line about 4" from the master. One day my curiosity got the better of me, why is that there? Someone had punctured the brake line somehow, maybe by bending it and had soldered or brazed the hole shut.:hmm:
The plastic must have been to hide this little disaster. If it was a field fix it worked, but obviously should have been replaced.

Got the tranny & clutch all back together, test drove the truck about 100 feet, and realized gas was coming out of the gas tank under the passenger seat. Quickly remove tank, after confirming all gears & transfer positions & PTO work. Found the bondo patch on bottom of tank was leaking where the mud-soaked tank was rusting back through the bondo. Like the side of my neighbor's '77 MonteCarlo.

A new tank is on order.

Pulled the dissy out for a rebuild (THAT is the reason the truck was brought in!).
By prying at the dissy gear, the cam was easily slid fore & aft 1/8+". :eek:
Well, now we do have to pull off the front cover to check the c-clip and thrust plate.:mad:

The C-clip was MIA and the cam gear was walked out as far as it could go, while nibbling on the back of the crankshaft oil slinger. Had the engine been a later model, without slinger, I suppose the gear woulda walked out 'til it tapped against the cover. :rolleyes:

By prying the cam forward through the dissy hole, heating the cam gear w/ propane, and using a 32mm socket as a driver, the cam gear was whacked back in place and a new lock-ring was installed. Attached is pic showing new ring installed. Hammer marks on gear and cam snout lead me to believe that previous rebuilder installed cam, then attempted to beat gear into place.

Next- rebuild the dissy that has been previously rebuilt by a sweatshop...

Poor cam. It has taken a beating. Only way I thought it was the C-clip was cam plug being loose. I've seen it before on another motor. Ironically their cam was beat up like that one. The crazy thing is where is the c-clip going? We never found it in the engine. It's like someone beat the cam gear on and just decided since it was that hard to go on it probably doesn't need a c-clip. Crazy. Especially when you think about the fact the gears are cut at an angle.

I'm sure a walking cam does havoc to the distributor gear and even more to the timing. So as the cam walks toward the back does that advance or retard the timing? I'm thinking retard.

Poor cam. It has taken a beating. Only way I thought it was the C-clip was cam plug being loose. I've seen it before on another motor. Ironically their cam was beat up like that one. The crazy thing is where is the c-clip going? We never found it in the engine. It's like someone beat the cam gear on and just decided since it was that hard to go on it probably doesn't need a c-clip.
Yeah, I think you're right. Somebody musta thunk the clip was redundant, with the press fit and a woodruff key.
Well, that and the fact that unless the cam is held forward somehow, the gear cannot be beaten on far enough to get the slip into place. The cam just drives the plug out the back of the block and pushes against the BH.

I'm sure a walking cam does havoc to the distributor gear and even more to the timing. So as the cam walks toward the back does that advance or retard the timing? I'm thinking retard.
Yes, the camshaft moves back and rotates the dissy shaft backwards (CCW) , which is retarded.

So how's this truck a year-n-a-half later ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom