How NOT to do a clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this but soon realized it was too funny to cry!

Have to agree 100% with Poser re finding and fixing what's wrong. I learned this over 30 years ago on my first attempts to repair my "new" '59 XLCH which had swallowed the rollers out of one of its roller tappets. Being a poor student I could only afford to repair the tappet and not replace the cam which had been severely scored and worn by the rollerless tappet. Of course it wasn't long before the worn cam destroyed the "new" tappet! Got a used cam, rebuilt the tappet (again) and rode many more carefree miles. I learned then that if something breaks, you have to chase down all the possible downstream effects and deal with them then or you'll be dealing with them later. I also learned something else.....I could repair that tappet much easier and faster the second time!

Pete

Disagree 100 percent:

My name is on the trucks, equipment and components that pass through my shop. I will not half-ass anything, period.

Not digging into issues and finding everything that could be causing problems is only inviting further issues to manifest at a later date.

You do not want me to fix it properly, feel free to stop by and pickup your junk.

:wrench:

Thank you for taking the time to share your findings Jim. Looks like you are having a lot of fun. :lol:

:beer:

You need to get a copy of the old mechanic's working statement and put it on your wall.

I can do the job _____ and _____, but not _____.

Right
Cheap
Fast

Customers, please fill in the blanks using the choices above using each choice only once.

POs

This is why everyone should send me 5 bucks to maintain my cruiser---I am your next PO and you want it done right dont you? :p

In the meantime I am off to put flashing around my chimney--................."Hon, you seen my tin snips and coke cans?" :D

A fine example Jim!

You need to get a copy of the old mechanic's working statement and put it on your wall.
I can do the job _____ and _____, but not _____.

Right
Cheap
Fast

Customers, please fill in the blanks using the choices above using each choice only once.

I would like to take right and cheap, but not fast , thats not likely to be offered though.

I'm getting a bad feeling about my cruiser all of a sudden. I've only had the 40 in the garage for a few weeks and haven't looked at the drive train as of yet. As I started working on it I've been finding some "McGuyver'd" repairs and correcting them as I go. I'm now getting sick to my stomach about what I might find.

Thanks for instilling my lack of faith in previous owners.

wood screws

I just finished re doin my seats in my 74, under the floor mat, I discovered the passenger side seat mount was held down in the front with large looking wood screws. They did not even come close to holding the frame down, so another rattle out of the way. Save one stroke of the fan belt for my LC PO Jim.:)

If that cam plug had been spinning those little rusty crustation markings wouldn't be there..........the whole outer mating surface would be slicked over smooth......
Besides, there would have been an oil leak from hell.........
DSC05835 copy.jpg

If that cam plug had been spinning those little rusty crustation markings wouldn't be there..........the whole outer mating surface would be slicked over smooth......
Besides, there would have been an oil leak from hell.........

Grant, those are rust pits that have not been polished yet, the ring below the plug in this pic is the front side of the bell housing where it has been spinning, and he said he had an oil leak.
:confused::confused::confused:
you been floatin' down on the river smokin them funny cigs again?

Last edited:
I would like to take right and cheap, but not fast , thats not likely to be offered though.

Right and cheap but not fast means that it will get done when it gets done and everything else has priority over your vehicle including taking a nap.

:eek:, but reminds me of the work my maintenance man does here at work. i think he has three tools, 1-plasma cutter 2-pipe wrench 3-duct tape

That's because your maintenance man has been asked to perform the work fast and cheap, but not right. :)

Grant, those are rust pits that have not been polished yet, the ring below the plug in this pic is the front side of the bell housing where it has been spinning, and he said he had an oil leak.
:confused::confused::confused:

The cam must have some hellacious end play to be able to push the plug out that far and keep enough tension on it to spin....

The maximum clearance is .008........

I want to see the back side of that plug........

The cam must have some hellacious end play to be able to push the plug out that far and keep enough tension on it to spin....

The maximum clearance is .008........

I want to see the back side of that plug........

It was the wrong plug to begin with, I tore one down a few months ago, the face of freeze plug was heat-blue from the cam spinning against it...I suspect some aftermarket kits have the wrong depth plug in there for this position.....

Anything good going on at Gruene or the River Road Ice House lately?

It was the wrong plug to begin with,

Go on over to Jim's house and measure the depth of that plug, looks like a shallow one from here.........

Did this truck originate from Nuevo Loredo? Looks like it...........

The Guadeloupe is way to cold for smokin and floatin, besides a drought is going on, a body would end up carrying a tube more than riding one........:frown:

Anything good going on at Gruene or the River Road Ice House lately?

Packed with Snow Birds this time of year......Best not to go there untill after the spring breakers have run them off........;)

I just finished re doin my seats in my 74, under the floor mat, I discovered the passenger side seat mount was held down in the front with large looking wood screws. They did not even come close to holding the frame down, so another rattle out of the way. Save one stroke of the fan belt for my LC PO Jim.:)

That 60 I parted out? Sheet rock screws holding the hear interior panels in. :lol:

Right and cheap but not fast means that it will get done when it gets done and everything else has priority over your vehicle including taking a nap.

That would be fine by me - still have to be quicker than me doing it which at the moment is along the lines of (I hope) Right, not that cheap (because right never is) and very very slow. Realised by son will be three in May and I have done about 3 days work in three years on the "project", most of that not core work but bit's I could pick up and put down without a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom