How much should I pay? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, as mentioned above, that is a 2LTE. So this must be an imported from Japan model rather than Euro model.

Although your truck must have seen quite a bit of salt (road salt? ocean?) to be looking this way, it doesn't mean anything about the actual functionality of the motor. Maybe it's in good condition internally. How it starts is the biggest indicator of condition. Turn key to on, wait 8 seconds, then start. If it fires up easy and with little smoke first try, then compression is good, glow system good, and injection system in good shape with no leaks. If it takes lots of cranking, missfires for a bit with a ton of smoke, then there will be work to do.

The sensor noted on the valve cover is truly odd; not really sure about that. Take some close pictures and maybe someone can figure it out.

The radiator looks like it's been re-cored with the largest core I've ever seen. That is a really good thing!

A couple of the first changes I always recommend for these motors is remove EGR system and throttle plate, and install an 82C thermostat (found on all the later 2LTE models; is cooler than original 88C one). But also change oil, check glow system, air filter, fuel filter, rad hoses, etc.
It starts after about 3 seconds once the battery is charged up. So fuel filter has been changed and hopefully get cracking on oil service and change. When driving there doesn’t seem to be much power in it. I’ll be checking these all tomorrow 👍 I’ll send more photos of the valve cover now

It starts after about 3 seconds once the battery is charged up. So fuel filter has been changed and hopefully get cracking on oil service and change. When driving there doesn’t seem to be much power in it. I’ll be checking these all tomorrow 👍 I’ll send more photos of the valve cover now

Sounds like it start well; that's great.

Not much power is somewhat to be expected with at best a 90hp (OEM) motor moving 4500lbs. But, often these motors with various little problems are making less than that even and the vehicles can barely get out of their own way. There's lots to do, but eventually a boost gauge (indicates turbo pressure) and a EGT gauge (indicates combustion temperatures) can be used to see if the motor is running optimally. Sometimes the turbos wear out, or boost sensor doesn't work, causing sub par performance.

Congrats on your purchase! I bet you are over the moon! =)

I’m looking to join the LC club soon. I found an 84 Fj45 Troopy (in Germany), for under 20k euro with no rust so pretty excited...AND I have my Tacoma as my dd while the Troopy is being worked on.
Oh wow that sounds lovely! Is it driving?

Sounds like it start well; that's great.

Not much power is somewhat to be expected with at best a 90hp (OEM) motor moving 4500lbs. But, often these motors with various little problems are making less than that even and the vehicles can barely get out of their own way. There's lots to do, but eventually a boost gauge (indicates turbo pressure) and a EGT gauge (indicates combustion temperatures) can be used to see if the motor is running optimally. Sometimes the turbos wear out, or boost sensor doesn't work, causing sub par performance.
Ok, I’ll look in to that at a later stage. At the moment I’ll focus on the list you sent previously and get on to treating the rust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom