How much should I offer for this 8274? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guy at work saw the winch on my 40 and asked if I wanted another one.

He sent me these pictures.

From what I can tell, it's not an 8274-50, but not an old model because it doesn't have the metal remote plug cover and seems to be in pretty good shape.

Anyway, I don't really need another winch, but I'd rather have an 8274 on my 40 and put my 9000i on my 80.

Apparently it works well as is. I would check that out before buying it.

What's the going rate for a complete, used decent shape 8274? I was thinking ~$500.
DSC01827 (Medium).JPG
DSC01828 (Medium).JPG
DSC01829 (Medium).JPG

offer him $400 and be prepared to go higher. Used 8274's start at $400 here and go up to $800. Plus that one has the roller fairlead. Does it include a controller?

I don't need the fairlead but I guess he'll want it to go with the winch. It does include the remote, just didn't post that picture.

I don't need the fairlead but I guess he'll want it to go with the winch. It does include the remote, just didn't post that picture.

You could always keep it for a spare or sell it here..... :cheers:

You're in a great position as you don't need it. I'd offer $300 and see if he bites. Let's face it, it's a hassle to sell stuff and he might just want some effort free cash.

If this was somebody I didn't have any connection to, I would have probably already lowballed at $300.

I don't want to screw the guy, since I do work with him, besides he is not dumb, he knows 8274's are "the" winch and that his is in relatively good condition and complete.

I asked how much he wanted yesterday (mistake!) and he said $700.

I'm going to wait till i get a few paychecks in and offer $500. If he takes $600, I should be able to sell that TJ mount and fairlead to recoup ~$100.

$500-$600 would be a pretty good deal for both, right? Effortless sale and easy cash for him, good condition ready to go 8274 for me.

If this was somebody I didn't have any connection to, I would have probably already lowballed at $300.

I don't want to screw the guy, since I do work with him, besides he is not dumb, he knows 8274's are "the" winch and that his is in relatively good condition and complete.

I asked how much he wanted yesterday (mistake!) and he said $700.

I'm going to wait till i get a few paychecks in and offer $500. If he takes $600, I should be able to sell that TJ mount and fairlead to recoup ~$100.

$500-$600 would be a pretty good deal for both, right? Effortless sale and easy cash for him, good condition ready to go 8274 for me.

Do your research anyway. Check the local ads, including craigslist and if they're lower, tell him, see what he says.....

Still $500 or $600 wouldn't be toooooooo bad of a deal. :hmm:

I asked how much he wanted yesterday and he said $700.

Bailey-

Even at 700.00us he is really not out of line for the value of that winch, considering a new 8274-50 is almost 1800.00us before freight now.

:meh:

Do your research anyway. Check the local ads, including craigslist and if they're lower, tell him, see what he says.....

Only 8274 on the local CL ads is listed at $825 w/o fairlead. Looks like it's in similar condition to the one I'm looking at. Don't really want him to see that!

Bailey-

Even at 700.00us he is really not out of line for the value of that winch, considering a new 8274-50 is almost 1800.00us before freight now.

I don't guess he is. I had no idea 8274's had gotten that expensive :eek: . I want to say I remember when they listed at just over $1k. Even though there is a big horsepower difference between the 8274 and 8274-50, I guess as the price of the new unit climbs so will the worth of good used units.

I think this really boils down to I want an 8274 one and don't need it. I was hoping to get the kind of deal that would let me justify buying another winch. (Already have 3).

Well, ya'll have answered my questions, we'll see how this plays out.

Tell him I'll give him $300 for it-I don't need it either.

Is this Bailey's winch addiction support group?

Some people collect stamps, some collect coins. Bailey collects winches. Those of us who wheel with him are more than ready to see him put the 500-700 towards the 30 spline longs that he really needs. ;)

Is this Bailey's winch addiction support group?

Some people collect stamps, some collect coins. Bailey collects winches. Those of us who wheel with him are more than ready to see him put the 500-700 towards the 30 spline longs that he really needs. ;)

Is this true?

Are you shattering axles regularly and holding up trail rides while you repair your junk?

It's true that I broke more than my fair share of pre-chromo longfields. (IIRC about 4 over a few years)

It's true that when the last old Long broke, the last piece of a full set of chromo 27-spline longs was installed.

It's true that I occaisionally held Cam (atl zj) up while I would change a longfield. (We don't usually wheel with more than 2-3 trucks)

It's true that I didn't mind, because, well, Cam's time isn't all that valuable and I've drug his ass out of the woods enough.

It's true that Cam isn't worth paying attention to and is just trying to publicly bust my chops because I don't have some fancy Chevy axles underneath my truck.

It's ALSO true Cam should really be the one buying this winch or one of mine from me because his POS slow milemarker never works, and the one time it did, it created a dangerous situation. (remote failed, solenoid welded closed)

:flipoff2: for raining on my winch hording parade.

While we're sidetracked and I've got Steve's attention- Do you think the 30spline strength over the 27 spline is worth it when I already have the 27 spline set? My understanding is that only the birfield stars and inner axle shafts are different, and I haven't had any problems with inner axle shafts.

It's ALSO true Cam should really be the one buying this winch or one of mine from me because his POS slow milemarker never works, and the one time it did, it created a dangerous situation. (remote failed, solenoid welded closed)

:lol:

Glad no one was hurt!

While we're sidetracked and I've got Steve's attention- Do you think the 30spline strength over the 27 spline is worth it when I already have the 27 spline set? My understanding is that only the birfield stars and inner axle shafts are different, and I haven't had any problems with inner axle shafts.

I guess when you shatter one of those, you will have justification for replacement. I know people running 38.5 SX Swampers with the 30 spline set and they flog the hell out of their junk without issues.

I have a Dana 60 up front; 35 spline chromo axles and CTM joints to provide power to my 42" Swampers.

:meh:

That 8274 looks just like mine. The guy trying to sell it wanted $1100. 30 minutes of haggling later, and for for 5 bills it was mine.

$500 is more than reasonable.

GL
--jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom