How much does YOUR 40 weigh? Just got mine off the scales... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon everyone,

I swung by the scales on my way back from a skiing trip and decided it was time to see what the ole' girl weighs:

1644437169432.png

Maybe I've been feeding her too much!

I figured it would be fun to get some ACTUAL results from peoples weigh-ins with different setups.

If you could respond with a few basic details that would influence the result and a picture of each truck for comparison sake I think this could be fun.

Here's what mine looks like:

1644437413779.png

1644437426672.png

1644437464635.png

My weigh in included a full tank of fuel (30 gallons) all my spare parts and recovery gear. I took my luggage out and stood off the scale for the measurement.

The truck has:
30 Gal steel fuel cell and full 20l Jerry can out back
39" BFG KM3's
Trussed axles (fj62 width)
Big ol' disk Brakes
Full family cage (2" tubes)
Tool box tailgate
7 Gal Air tank out back
2.0 TDI with 5 speed transmission and 4 speed transfer (Orion with underdrive)
A/C and on board air system
A Big loud stereo system
Lots of tools/fluids/spare parts
Full hard top installed along with short rear jump seats

Ask for any other details but that's the basic stuff that adds up.

Lets see what kind of numbers you guys got!

Mike

My "old" memory bank thinks empty hard top FJ40's weigh about 4400 lbs, and empty soft top FJ40's weigh about 3800 lbs
That would make sense!

I wonder why the weight seems under reported so often online?

And then another 1000 pounds is easy to do with cages and bumpers and winches etc. It runs away fast! I had to do the same thing for my RZR to get the new shocks, its a pig! LOL But I have a gear addiction, so...

I saved a bunch of wight with the engine and transmission, but them I added a ton more with the Orion/under drive and the rest of the crap.

This cage is super heavy as well. 2" tubing.

I carry a ton of spare parts and tools as well! I don't like getting caught with my pants down 🤣

The only thing lighter is the engine and transmission. That's why the front is so light compared to the rear which sucks.

Mike

Good afternoon everyone,

I swung by the scales on my way back from a skiing trip and decided it was time to see what the ole' girl weighs:

View attachment 2919627

I figured it would be fun to get some ACTUAL results from peoples weigh-ins with different setups.

If you could respond with a few basic details that would influence the result and a picture of each truck for comparison sake I think this could be fun.

View attachment 2919650

View attachment 2919651

View attachment 2919653

My weigh in included a full tank of fuel (30 gallons) all my spare parts and recovery gear. I took my luggage out and stood off the scale for the measurement.

The truck has:
39" BFG KM3's
Big ol' disk Brakes
Tool box tailgate
7 Gal Air tank out back
A Big loud stereo system

Mike
Beautiful looking Rig…

Off-topic, but would you mind sharing some more information about your jerrycan holder? From the picture, looks like a right hand rear tire carrier mount, that you fabricated to attach to the rear crossmember? Looks great and functional.

Good afternoon everyone,

View attachment 2919627

View attachment 2919650

View attachment 2919651

View attachment 2919653

The truck has:
39" BFG KM3's
Big ol' disk Brakes
Tool box tailgate
7 Gal Air tank out back
A Big loud stereo system

Mike

chonky cruiser

cat-fat.gif

Completely no help to this conversation, but my BJ74 with just 33's, lift, bumpers (similar size to FJ40) is 4700lbs.

chonky cruiser

View attachment 2921655

Completely no help to this conversation, but my BJ74 with just 33's, lift, bumpers (similar size to FJ40) is 4700lbs.

I mean now it makes sense why the old Mercedes OM617a engine flew in the 300D but couldn't go up the Cajon pass above 40mph.

Its totally a Chonk Cruiser now!

Do you have a picture of said BJ74?

Mike

I mean now it makes sense why the old Mercedes OM617a engine flew in the 300D but couldn't go up the Cajon pass above 40mph.

Its totally a Chonk Cruiser now!

Do you have a picture of said BJ74?

Mike

yeah, quite a bit more weight to push around. Especially the unsprung weight in those wheels/tires. I wonder how much weight those are.

Said BJ74. 13BT turbo diesel.
e3eb3ded-5e63-4b51-a990-5731fe930c4e-jpeg.2848824

yeah, quite a bit more weight to push around. Especially the unsprung weight in those wheels/tires. I wonder how much weight those are.

Said BJ74. 13BT turbo diesel.
e3eb3ded-5e63-4b51-a990-5731fe930c4e-jpeg.2848824
That PURDY!

I need to weigh a wheel and tire. I know they are heavy. Well over 100lbs each.

Mike

That PURDY!

I need to weigh a wheel and tire. I know they are heavy. Well over 100lbs each.

Mike
And the further you mount them behind the center of the leaf springs (rear axle housing) the more they weigh- - -at least you'd probably have a better ride with some more weight on the rear springs.

Last edited:
my last 40 at the truck pulls weighed 5600 lbs with the 1/4 inch plate body and 17/40 mudders with the stock 6 it just stalled the motor

At an official scale without top/doors, spare tire, toolbox or winch, My 66 weighed 3150 lbs. Has a OM617/5 speed. Not sure why it was so much lighter than others.

I weighed myself with a 400 dirt bike on the rear hitch with 2 fuel cans, water jug, camping gear and few tools at 2470 kg (5445 lbs).
33x10.5 tires, front bumper with 8274, rear kaymar bar with tire swingout. Empty, I'm probably pushing around 4500-4600 lbs.

No top
Ls/SM465/orion
Family cage
Beefy bumper front and rear
35’s
Aqualu 3/4 tub
What’s left is stock-ish
~4500# depending on what I’m hauling

Good afternoon everyone,

View attachment 2919627

View attachment 2919650

View attachment 2919651

View attachment 2919653

The truck has:
39" BFG KM3's
Big ol' disk Brakes
Tool box tailgate
7 Gal Air tank out back
A Big loud stereo system

Mike
I weighed the FJ-40 with everything loaded as I intend to use it on the trail. That is, the hard top was on, I was carrying spare gas, water, and tools, and I was sitting in the driver seat (I weigh 200 pounds). The front axle weighed 2380 pounds, and the rear axle weighed 2660 pounds. Although the numbers do not add up exactly, the weight of the entire Cruiser was 5300 pounds.

I weighed the FJ-40 with everything loaded as I intend to use it on the trail. That is, the hard top was on, I was carrying spare gas, water, and tools, and I was sitting in the driver seat (I weigh 200 pounds). The front axle weighed 2380 pounds, and the rear axle weighed 2660 pounds. Although the numbers do not add up exactly, the weight of the entire Cruiser was 5300 pounds.
Do you have a picture of your 40?

Interesting that it has a similar weight distribution as mine!

Why doesn't the front and rear weight add up to the total?

Thanks for chiming in!

Mike

I am similar to Archie73, 70fj40, no top, soa, bumpers, 2 tanks, cage, 38's, lq9, sm420, orion, skid plates, swing out in back for 2 small action packers( parts & kitchen) and it weighs just under 5k and my 1 week camping load is about another 400 to 450 pounds if we take everything(alot of stuff).

The other thing at highway speeds is it has the aerodynamics of a lifted brick.

It's not a economy car, but it's great at what it is built for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom