How miserable is it to drive a RHD "manual" 81? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drove my 1st RHD "automatic" 81 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by how intuitive & drama free it was to drive on the right.

To qualify my question - I learned to drive on a manual LHD and still own a few fast manual cars.
So - Now that I have been convinced to get a manual for expedition use, I am wondering how annoying it would be to drive a RHD 81 with "manual" transmission day in day out for 3 months straight? I ask this having never driven a manual RHD.

If you can drive a stick, you can drive a RHD one--it's not any more difficult to do than LHD. I've driven manual transmission cars for thousands of km's in the UK and Australia/New Zealand. Easy peasy and only takes a little while to get used to it.

It's not the actual operation of the vehicle that can be a bit of a PITA with RHD in America, it's the fact that you're constantly on the "wrong" side of the car (or of the road, depending on how you look at it). It can be hard to see for passing other cars on two-lane roads, you're on the wrong side for drive-throughs or toll booths, sometimes hard to see for pulling out into traffic or merging. That kind of thing.

Oh - I know I can do it do it. I just don't know if it will become as intuitive over time as a LHD manual is to me. If I was doing a difficult climb and need to make a quick precise downshift - I can do it all day long in a LHD - I'm no so sure that even with a lot of driving will I be able to pull off the quick shift in a RHD.
Probably will - but I'm just not sure.
If I knew someone with a RHD manual I would just go drive it and no need to ask on this forum - but I do not.

I have a manual patrol in oz (rhd obviously) and drive a manual jeep as my daily here in the US (lhd obviously).

You get use to it very quickly and can go from one to the other without thinking. Muscle memory is a magical thing...

cheers,
george.

As above, it takes almost no time at all to adjust. For a while I was splitting my daily driving between LHD and RHD manuals, sometimes both in the same day with no issues. You will quickly master quick and precise shifts, especially if you’re going to be driving it on a daily basis.

I am in and out of RHD Land Cruisers regularly. My current position allows me access to quite a few of them and I own one myself. I also daily a manual transmission Dodge Challenger.

The only thing that crosses me up, going in both directions by the way, is the turn signals. When I bounce from one side to the other I sometimes try to signal with the wrong hand :doh:. I have to remind myself "signal with the hand that isn't shifting, dumbass".

Where it gets tricky is when you change to the other side of the road as well. That's different. :)

Hey George, Airhead, Billy & CruiserDan
That is what I wanted/needed to hear from folks who go back and forth and how easy it is to do so.

I can see the signal lever throwing you off if you bounce back and forth all the time.

I think I've been convinced. Now I feel like I'm getting the right Land Cruiser for my travels.
I will likely be sending the seller of the 81 a deposit tomorrow. THX all

The only thing that crosses me up, going in both directions by the way, is the turn signals.

This. For sure. I can't tell you how many times I signaled a lane change in Australia with my windshield wipers. :doh:

This. For sure. I can't tell you how many times I signaled a lane change in Australia with my windshield wipers. :doh:

:lol:

I tell my friends that if they see my wipers sweeping on a sunny day, I'm turning right.....:lol:

It will. Quickly too.
Windshield wipers, less so :lol:

I found that even the wipers became second nature (almost!). Really it just requires a little more concentration as a driver, which I consider a plus. I always feel that driving RHD, and switching back and forth, makes one a better driver because it requires more engagement.

I always feel that driving RHD, and switching back and forth, makes one a better driver because it requires more engagement.

Gotta agree with this. When I arrive in a country with RHD, pick up a rental car or whatever, then start driving, I realize that everything requires my attention--staying on the "correct" side of the road, manipulating the controls on the "opposite" side of an unfamiliar car, learning and respecting local traffic laws and flow, navigating unfamiliar territory, and on and on. It's super engaging and requires a high level of alertness.

OTOH, if all you do is drive a familiar car around familiar territory, you're doing almost all of it via habit and muscle memory. Hardly need to pay attention at all. Which can be dangerous.

It's all roses till you slip up and revert back to old habits.
Therein lies the concern nagging me in the back of my mind!
I like/love living life to the edge but.

Takes just 1 mistake - one error in judgment - one late night drive where you're tired and distracted.

And I'm not talking just signal light switches and wiper blades snaffus!

LH, RH aside.... it seems more natural to have 1st gear always towards you rather than away. But then again, I'm sure those who grew up with RHD would say the opposite.

If the two were mirrored opposites, I think left foot accelerator could be challenging! :D

ha - rhd means your dominant hand (for most folk) is on the wheel where it should be versus mucking around with sticks :lol:

yeah, let's not mirror the pedals :)

cheers,
george.

Nintendo says the left hand should have the steering controls and they are headquartered in a RHD country. lol... ;)

Amazon.com: Nintendo NES Controller: Unknown: Video Games

Thanks for all the replies. I originally posted this and a bunch of other inquiries about 2 months ago. I took all the advice given and ended up doing a 180 and ended up buying a 2013 Tacoma Access Cab and will be installing an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper to it next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom