How many miles on your alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On my '02 100 series, I have 123K miles with the original alternator. On my '95 80 series, I have 213K miles on its original. I guess I might want to think about doing something with the 80's alternator. Nah, my son drives that one... ;)

180k on mine - I got rebuild parts (~$30) from beno but haven't gotten to that project yet.

Similar Denso in my Japan built 99 Camry just failed at 190k.

Just turned over 176k on original alternator. Anyone heard of upgrading their alternator to a stronger one to push more power out? (someone told me I should do this since I'm running lights and aftermarket stereo, and plan to add more mods. I was thinking more along the lines of a second battery for more mods....)

Just an FYI:

All of the alternators that you get from Toyota USA that comes after your factory alternator (and starter for that matter) are remans. There are no new ones once they leave the factory unless you are running a URJ200.

These units are remanned in the US using US components. Whether they are as good as the factory units, I do not know.

My reman 80 series unit has been running fine for the past 50K miles or so though it has developed an annoying chirping due to the bearing being dunked and abused many, many times.

I wish we could still get OEM new Denso units after they leave the factory.

180k on mine - I got rebuild parts (~$30) from beno but haven't gotten to that project yet.

Similar Denso in my Japan built 99 Camry just failed at 190k.

What do these rebuild parts consist of?

88,000 miles on original alternator. If you were out with another 100, the alternator crapping out in BFE wouldn't leave you stranded. You'd have to swap batteries back and forth between the trucks though. The fj40 in Top Gear Boliva Special anyone?

88,000 miles on original alternator. If you were out with another 100, the alternator crapping out in BFE wouldn't leave you stranded. You'd have to swap batteries back and forth between the trucks though. The fj40 in Top Gear Boliva Special anyone?

I saw that Top Gear episode. That was classic!

Just replaced at 104K, 2005 uzj100. Denso 130amp. $510 parts and labor. Dealer wanted $970.

Here's my datapoint for this thread, and I think I just barely beat you...

2006 LX 470 alternator went out this last June with about 62k miles on it.
My non-dealer Lexus mechanic replaced w/OEM for $562. They also did a warranty replacement on the almost-new battery at the same time.

It's been an expensive year for the LX not counting the $4.90/gallon gas....60k Mile Service, windshield replacement, new shoes, alternator...and now the front CV boots are leaking : (

Mine died at 64k on my 99 LC. I think I'm the only LC in the world with an alternator failure before 100k.

It's been an expensive year for the LX not counting the $4.90/gallon gas....60k Mile Service, windshield replacement, new shoes, alternator...and now the front CV boots are leaking : (

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Treat your LX well and she will reward you with many years of service to come!

To my knowledge, original alternator and starter here, 04 LC, 158k.

Mine went out at 175 k or so. Replaced in driveway with autozone $170 version. The new one was larger and a pain to install since I did not remove any hoses and pushed it up from the bottom.

130K miles on mine; just replaced last week at home. the previous didn't die, but i had some funny power surging issues while cold. i have no desire to be stuck during winter with no juice, or more so, my wife. i installed a dual battery as well at the same time and hooked all accessories to it, running only starter and factory items off the main.. all else, lights, aftermarket stereo/amps, on board air, aux fuse box etc all off the auxillary battery (optima yellow)..
purging problem gone. peace of mind for upcoming canadian winter.

Here's my datapoint for this thread, and I think I just barely beat you...

2006 LX 470 alternator went out this last June with about 62k miles on it.
My non-dealer Lexus mechanic replaced w/OEM for $562. They also did a warranty replacement on the almost-new battery at the same time.

Is this a mall cruiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom