How long does a starter motor last? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eicca

Professional Noob
Threads
Mom's UZJ just started having the dreaded starter contacts issue. Have to turn the key several times before it'll crank. I know the contacts are a cheap and easy thing to change, but after all the work just to get to them, should I worry about the motor itself being worn out too? The car has 220k on it and we're almost certain it's the original starter. I'd hate to change just the contacts and then have the motor crap the bed in a few months.

Or, if the motors are known to be indestructible, that's fine too and we'll save some dough.

Cheers.

as always, it's a matter of money vs time. I did an overhaul on my 80 starter. It was quite a bit of time, maybe altogether 4 or 5 hrs including starter removal, reading, ordering, work, reinstallation etc. Don't remember exactly. And I take my time. However, I'll say that I thought it was interesting and fun in a DIY way. Plus having taken the starter off got me the opportunity to get in there and do other stuff. A bit different on the 100 given the location, though. But I still would do it myself even if I could easily spend the money, if I had the time.

What year? 03+ it's more robust with no reported issues.

Toyota engines if treated right will run 500K miles easily.
Any part in a toyota is perfectly made. No aftermarket can take its place. This is only with toyota.
Sounds like you have a contact problem. Just get the contacts and install it according to the FSM (the only place you have to be careful is to keep the contacts in place without letting it to turn when you tight the initial nut)

All my cars have OEM starter and I only replace the contacts. Check the condition of the plunger. Don't loose the metal ball inside the plunger shaft.

Just replaced mine with a reman Toyota starter. I took my old starter apart and it was definitely the contacts. But over 200000miles on original I decided to do complete replace. I thought better safe than sorry. Bonus was I also removed a massive rat nest from the valley the starter sits in.

These rats are everywhere. Rats love dark spots and the engine cover makes the valley a perfect breeding ground, so I removed it.

Miles on a car don't really say all that much about how many starts a starter has had. I guess years don't either.
Anyway, my 30 year old FJ60 has 297,000 miles on it and I replaced the original starter last year because a few times it would click instead of turn over. But it never died.

My original starter went 270k, could have gone contacts only but with all the labor involved to replace, I just went ahead and bought a Toyota remanufactured.... ready for another 270k!

Anyone know if the 2UZ starter is interchangeable with the 1UZ? I could rebuild it and keep it as a spare for my car. I'm just going to totally replace the 2UZ one for mom's peace of mind.

Need to verify part number real quick: Research gave me Denso 280-0233. Websites are turning up matches for Tundra and Sequoia starters as well. I'm assuming any of them will fit?

^^^ Just curious, What part failed in the starter? Was it just clicks?

I just had the same issue at 17 years and 215k with the difficulty getting to the starter I went with a reman denso .. and glad I did .

Last edited:
186K and 17 years when mine went out.

Started the "clicks"... suddenly. Within a couple of days, lucky to get the starter solenoid to engage. Replaced with reman denso.

392875678_10232997665189018_6273537182560445598_n.jpg

Pic at the absolute deepest moment. It lasted less than a second.

I have 93k miles on mine - after a deep water crossing I now need to hold the key in the start position, it goes click, and then its a waiting game for up to 4 seconds before it will crank. The battery is fine, lights and everything stay at 100% - so I assume it's the starter. I doubt it got wet, but it may have had a splash. Certainly not underwater thou - we didn't stop during the crossing and had a constant bow wave in front of the truck. Water over the bonnet once or twice - water was about wheel depth. No deeper. On high AHC.

My question is - Is there a way I can hit the starter with CRC without disassembling the engine?
Can you access the starter from the back enough to hit it with some lube?

I would be surprised if the starter is dying when comparing my baby 93K miles to most of you - but I guess it's possible.
Is a long delay from turning the key to cranking a sign of a dying starter motor?

Or could there (please!) be a plug which is known to get water in it?

Thank you heaps for your time!

Last edited:
You can pull off the intake manifold in around 1 hour and see the starter. However if you are going to go through that much effort, you might as well replace it, as pulling the intake can always result in a risk of junk falling into the intake ports (I've pulled mine 2X and both times have had to vacuum/blow gunk out of the ports).

View attachment 3574307
Pic at the absolute deepest moment. It lasted less than a second.

I have 93k miles on mine - after a deep water crossing I now need to hold the key in the start position, it goes click, and then its a waiting game for up to 4 seconds before it will crank. The battery is fine, lights and everything stay at 100% - so I assume it's the starter. I doubt it got wet, but it may have had a splash. Certainly not underwater thou - we didn't stop during the crossing and had a constant bow wave in front of the truck. Water over the bonnet once or twice - water was about wheel depth. No deeper. On high AHC.

My question is - Is there a way I can hit the starter with CRC without disassembling the engine?
Can you access the starter from the back enough to hit it with some lube?

I would be surprised if the starter is dying when comparing my baby 93K miles to most of you - but I guess it's possible.
Is a long delay from turning the key to cranking a sign of a dying starter motor?

Or could there (please!) be a plug which is known to get water in it?

Thank you heaps for your time!
Your starter is prob fine- it’s up high and in the back so that water cresting the hood prob didn’t get to the starter- if you kept moving.

I’d check the engine bay fuse box and relays for moisture and also all ground wires leading to engine, starter and firewall. If you’ve got wet soaked up into the ground wires, it’s not going to behave well until it completely dries out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom