Longer start times after replacing starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My starter failed. Prior to failing, my engine would typically fire to life after engaging the starter for maybe half a second, to perhaps a full second.

I replaced the starter, and as part of the process replaced various gaskets, knock sensors, and coolant sensor (not sure if at all related). Now it can take 2-3 full seconds (and sometimes longer) of cranking to start the engine. It doesn't sound like much in writing, but it feels much longer when it's happening. The new starter is definitely working well, it's spinning the engine quickly and confidently, with no odd sounds. Also it's not nearly cold enough here in Florida for that to make a difference.

What might cause the engine to take much longer to start? Should I just ignore it and not worry about it?

Did you check obvious stuff like batteries and terminals? No start issues are trip Enders so no wouldn’t ignore.
The battery is 6 months old, and a new tie-down bracket has ensured that the cables have stayed tight (I had a loosening issue in the past). The starter is quick and strong, and volt meter hasn't looked out of place.

Long crank to start is most commonly, excessive fuel injector leak down. (start-up fuel starvation)
It's likely, something done or not done during service, caused the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom