How is the road noise with BFG all terrains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have worn-out street tires and put on - even the same size - new all terrains, your first thought is likely to be "Hmmm, these feel less precise, like they're squirming. That's because ATs have bigger, deeper blocks. Depending on the tread pattern you can actually feel these move around as the truck moves around on the road. For me, that lasted a few miles. And, that was 140,000 miles and three sets of BFGs ago. I think ride quality is great. The road noise is minimal. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other/newer designs that are good or even better. But, I've consistently gotten 55,000++ miles from these tires and love the on and off-road performance.

Anybody got a real world comparison between KO2 and Wildpeaks? I’m happy with my KO2 on the LX but tire shopping for the 80 and want to see if there’s anything better these days.
I have the KO2 on my hundy and recently bought an F-150 that came with wildpeaks.
I'm so used to the KO2 over the years that wasn't hearing the noise, until I tried the wildpeaks, what a difference.
Don't get me wrong, the KO2 are great tires, I had them for about 40K miles, never had a single issue on any terrain and they have about 50% thread still on them.
However, I have to say that the wildpeaks are super quiet. Only had them for about a month so can't say anything about durability or off-road capability. Worked well on wet conditions though. They don't look as good as the KO2, IMO

I have KO2s currently and haven't tried other tires yet. However, when I purchased my KO2s, there are different types (based on load-factor). I made sure to buy the ones that are snow rated. It's my understanding the cheaper KO2s that are not snow rated are intended for just road use. So I'm curious for those that haven't had a good experience with KO2s if they were the snow rated ones or not?

I'm unfamiliar with any KO2 that is not snow rated.

Regardless, I wouldn't say that I'm not having a good experience with them. They perform really well off pavement and they're surprisingly comfortable on pavement. I just think they're extremely overrated, mostly because there are clearly better alternatives on criteria like durability, pavement handling, and rolling resistance. Steering seems sloppy and they are gas hogs. I maintain 16 MPGs in the Cruiser on my highway trips with the Nokians, whereas I lose between 2-4 MPG with the KO2s on the Wrangler.

In addition, they are recommended here and on my Wrangler forum with little consideration for the limitations addressed above. I like to know what the advantages are of a particular tire over others within a certain desired criteria set. For example, snow rating has become less meaningful because so many tire manufacturers have updated their ATs to obtain the emblem. That is, we don't have to limit ourselves to Nokians any longer when snow traction is paramount. In the case of the KO2, I'd like to know its advantage over the Falkens; because, ceteris paribus, I have no reason to prefer them over the more durable Falken.

KO2s are 3PMSF (3 peak mountain snow flake) rated.

In my experience, they work ok in the snow, ok in the slush, and poorly on ice. My experience is driving 10 miles of forest logging roads daily. 4-5 weeks of the year I'm driving on solid ice with steep grades. I'm located in Western Montana, snow on the ground 5 months of the year, varying amounts of slush, ice, snow on the asphalt.

I run nokian studded in the winter, ko2s in the summer.

Road noise with ko2s has never been an issue with me.

having said that, ymmv

Last edited:
I'm located in Western Montana, snow on the ground 5 months of the year, varying amounts of slush, ice, snow on the asphalt.

I run nokian studded in the winter, ko2s in the summer.
I learned the value of studded tires while living in Missoula. Do you have a separate set of wheels for each or do you have a shop remount them for you?

I learned the value of studded tires while living in Missoula. Do you have a separate set of wheels for each or do you have a shop remount them for you?

Separate wheels, I got lots of storage ;)

Damn near got rear ended by an 18 wheeler in belgrade a few weekends ago. Overpass had a lot of ice in the turn lane heading west towards Manhattan. Luckily I was paying attention and realized how slippery it was and noticed the 18 wheeler coming in too fast behind me. I safely ran the light to get outta his way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom