How is the road noise with BFG all terrains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Current tires are 275/70/16. There aren’t many options that I see. I will be 98 percent on the road except a long snowy dirt road to get to our camp.

Have you considered a 285/75/16, they just look so good.

I have KO2 on mine. They were on it when I bought it in august. They are plenty quiet and ride excellent. Although I have nothing to compare them to.
I would 100% buy them again if for no other reason they look excellent.

I drive mostly highway so traction in mud is not a huge factor for me.

8BF700A9-555A-4737-BE81-3DB33F3C4FE5.jpeg

I'd love to hear about the ride quality of the tires being talked about in this thread. I have Michelin LTX AT2s on my LX and I find them to be pretty harsh at lower speeds, and that is with them aired down to 30psi. Anybody care to share their experiences, especially if they have had the LTX tires in the past?
I also have the Michelin LTX, and they are due to be replaced. I was just told today that they are back ordered. The tire shop also said that because they are not a common size, they may be back ordered for awhile.

Now is my time to try something new. I’m open to new wheels as well.

Like the original poster, I’m 98% highway driving. I have small kids and take them camping and off-road, but I’m mainly driving them around. These days, I prioritize a quiet smooth ride.

I’ve had noisy tires. I once had a pair of Thornbird’s that whistled like a hurricane. What is your favorite quiet and smooth tire?

I also have the Michelin LTX, and they are due to be replaced. I was just told today that they are back ordered. The tire shop also said that because they are not a common size, they may be back ordered for awhile.

Now is my time to try something new. I’m open to new wheels as well.

Like the original poster, I’m 98% highway driving. I have small kids and take them camping and off-road, but I’m mainly driving them around. These days, I prioritize a quiet smooth ride.

I’ve had noisy tires. I once had a pair of Thornbird’s that whistled like a hurricane. What is your favorite quiet and smooth tire?
I just put K02's on my LC. I like them though the ride is a bit stiffer than the AT tire before (I cant remember what they were, came with the car).
The old tire had a much milder tread and wouldn't trust them off road or in snow. My wife has the cooper discoverer on her G wagon and we've really liked that tire, think it might be smoother than the K02 but still provides a pretty aggressive look. It totally changed her G wagon. Took an insanely bumpy and choppy ride to just very bumpy and choppy.

I just put K02's on my LC. I like them though the ride is a bit stiffer than the AT tire before (I cant remember what they were, came with the car).
The old tire had a much milder tread and wouldn't trust them off road or in snow. My wife has the cooper discoverer on her G wagon and we've really liked that tire, think it might be smoother than the K02 but still provides a pretty aggressive look. It totally changed her G wagon. Took an insanely bumpy and choppy ride to just very bumpy and choppy.
I second the Cooper Discoverers. We have the AT3 4S for snow performance and it rides great and looks decent. I'm 99% on the highway but I wanted something a little more aggressive and it looks great.

I'm happy with my KO2's. I notice a little road noise from them but nothing bothersome. I've got no complaints with their performance on road in various conditions, including snow. Off road performance has been very good also, IMO. Mud performance isn't great, but they're not a mud tire so I can't complain about that.

The KO2 may be getting a little long in the tooth and some newer designed might be better, but no one makes a better looking AT tire, IMO.

I put KO2s on my 100... had Kumho AT51s on before that and some kind of Michelin road oriented tire on the 100 I had prior to this one. I did not notice much change in road noise between any of them. I suppose if pressed I could tell the difference in sound, but it for sure does not rise to the level where I notice it unprompted.

I have Cooper Discoverer STT Pros on my Prado - probably comparable with the BFG KM3 in terms of tread type and pattern - and those do start to evidence some tire noise. Even with a more aggressive purely off-road tread type though, the noise is often not that noticeable even on freeways unless you have a window open... even the rear venting windows. With a window open it starts to become more obvious. Even then it doesn't bug me. It's not like driving windows open is quiet to begin with.

Looking at tires and wheels as well right now. Do you all find that with a lot of the ATs the rear tires are loud when driving in the rain on the highway?

I have some Michelin all season tires on it right now and they make quite a bit of noise in the car when at highway speeds in the rear. Its not annoying but its noticeable compared to the front not making a peep.

Probably going KO2s or Cooper Discovers.

Anybody got a real world comparison between KO2 and Wildpeaks? I’m happy with my KO2 on the LX but tire shopping for the 80 and want to see if there’s anything better these days.

Anybody got a real world comparison between KO2 and Wildpeaks? I’m happy with my KO2 on the LX but tire shopping for the 80 and want to see if there’s anything better these days.
I’ve driven another 100 with wildpeaks. The initial feel was great to me. Rain was no problem. Stopping in the rain wasn’t either. The ko2s have a little less grip to me in wet. Word is the wilds perform better in snow also. No real world experience with that.

The thing that got me, was the treadlife. I know a dude who got 100k out of a set of 33s. I’m going to switch to them and try them out long term when I buy new tires in a few months. Everything I’ve read has been nothing but stellar.

I’m tempted to switch to the wildpeaks (from Michelin LTX). I’m also interested in trying the Toyo Open Country AT3s, particularly after reading articles like this:

I'm getting to the end of KO2 life and need another tire. I've abused them pretty good and they held up. Also very quiet for most of the tire life. Thinking of moving to KM3 next for better mud traction.

I think BFG has the best tire compound on the market.

20201223_105953.jpg

The thing that got me, was the treadlife. I know a dude who got 100k out of a set of 33s. I’m going to switch to them and try them out long term when I buy new tires in a few months. Everything I’ve read has been nothing but stellar.
I got some KO2s last year after my previous pair of BFG ATs lasted for >95k. And that's not just as a DD.

They perform well, aren't loud, and last a long time if you rotate them.

I have KO2s on my Wrangler. They don't even have 1/3 of the miles I have on my 100's Nokians, but are beat up from off-roading. I've taken similar number of trips along the same routes with both vehicles. The Nokians still look good at 39,000 miles, but the KO2s don't. I've confirmed from a Rubicon rental business in Sedona that KO2s don't hold up well off-road. He found that he gets superior mileage out of Wildpeaks (something crazy, like double). He started with KO2s, but has replaced his entire fleet with Wildpeaks. It seems that the KO2 is better suited for those who don't crawl rocks. I agree with others here that the KO2s might be the most overrated tire in the 4x4 market. That being said, they do have an unexpected soft and quiet ride.

Ko2’s are good all around if you air them up and down correctly based on your driving application (road/trail/LIGHT crawling…not to be confused with heavy crawling)

Falken at3w’s the same with a slightly lower tag price

Interested why a guy in the rubicon rental business would be worried about mileage and choosing to buying AT’s for weekend warriors looking to go ham in a rental. I’d also be interested to see how many rubicon renters are smart enough to correctly adjust their tire pressure before proceeding to all but abuse a rental rubicon and whatever tires are on it. Seems like a case of inconsistent user care.

Back to your question, run your psi at closer to the door stated specs and turn your radio up and the road noise is negligible for most at’s

Interested why a guy in the rubicon rental business would be worried about mileage and choosing to buying AT’s for weekend warriors
This rental service caters to those who are looking to explore the off-road trails around Sedona. It's not like Enterprise or Hertz. His Jeeps need ATs. Regarding mileage, he saves money by running tires that can withstand the trails longer.

User care has nothing to do with comparing the two tires. The renters consist of all drivers along the off-roading experience spectrum. It was very clear to the owner that KO2s don't hold up well under those conditions. I lower my air pressure when hitting the trails and experienced similar results with the KO2s.

I took my air compressor with us and asked the owner if he had any preference at what we ran the tires. He was fine with us adjusting them to our liking, but mentioned that he already set them lower to generally accommodate the the trails. My guess is that few other renters take their own compressor.

What annoyed me was that he disabled the lockers. The point of the rental was for my Jeep enthusiast uncle to test a Rubicon before replacing his '98 Wrangler.

This rental service caters to those who are looking to explore the off-road trails around Sedona. It's not like Enterprise or Hertz. His Jeeps need ATs. Regarding mileage, he saves money by running tires that can withstand the trails longer.

User care has nothing to do with comparing the two tires. The renters consist of all drivers along the off-roading experience spectrum. It was very clear to the owner that KO2s don't hold up well under those conditions. I lower my air pressure when hitting the trails and experienced similar results with the KO2s.

I took my air compressor with us and asked the owner if he had any preference at what we ran the tires. He was fine with us adjusting them to our liking, but mentioned that he already set them lower to generally accommodate the the trails. My guess is that few other renters take their own compressor.

What annoyed me was that he disabled the lockers. The point of the rental was for my Jeep enthusiast uncle to test a Rubicon before replacing his '98
That’s a bummer. He Didn’t even get to try out the whole reason he was targeting a new one.

What Nokians you rolling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom