how important is the Coolant Flush? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - new to maintaining my truck and haven't flushed the coolant system for nearly 60,000 miles. Liquid still looks red and at the right levels.

Does the coolant liquid lose its chemical and thermal properties over time?
Is it partially cleaning the coolant system too, and therefore you would want to remove the debris or contaminants which could hurt the system over time?

Thank you!

Does the coolant liquid lose its chemical and thermal properties over time?
Yes, it does

Is it partially cleaning the coolant system too, and therefore you would want to remove the debris or contaminants which could hurt the system over time?
Determine after draining. If you see dirt/cloudness - may want to to use "flush/cleaner". Otherwise just replace fluid.

Yes, it does

Determine after draining. If you see dirt/cloudness - may want to to use "flush/cleaner". Otherwise just replace fluid.
If it’s the Super Long Life you could wait to do it every timing belt and water pump replacement. It’ll be done then regardless.

I recently did the timing belt and water pump, etc on my 06. I got 2 gallons Toyota red coolant that yielded 4 gallons of coolant fluid when mixed 50/50 with distilled water. The 2uzfe will require approximately 3.25 gallons once the existing coolant is drained down.

pink pre-mixed 50/50 and red manual mixed 50/50 with distilled water comparison.
0673C10A-6E0A-4C11-BD28-707092CA0E2E.jpeg

I recently did the timing belt and water pump, etc on my 06. I got 2 gallons Toyota red coolant that yielded 4 gallons of coolant fluid when mixed 50/50 with distilled water. The 2uzfe will require approximately 3.25 gallons once the existing coolant is drained down.

pink pre-mixed 50/50 and red manual mixed 50/50 with distilled water comparison.
View attachment 2473765
Those are not the same fluid. If you have the pink you should stick with it, it lasts longer.

Those are not the same fluid. If you have the pink you should stick with it, it lasts longer.
Yup they are not the same. I didn’t mixed them though, the pink’s from our other toyota and the Lx was on the red version so I just used the same again.

Buy a coolant tester for cheap and test it and/or maybe just do a simple drain and refill using the proper coolant for your year/model

How important is it to drain the block? I just did a simple drain from the bottom of the radiator

How important is it to drain the block? I just did a simple drain from the bottom of the radiator

I suppose it would depend on how corroded your fluid / system is, I just do a drain from the radiator every 20-30k since my fluid was in decent shape

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom