Coolant pool under intake manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks. Been experiencing variou coolant leak issues after having my timing belt changed a few hundred miles ago in December.

Almost immediately after I picked up the cruiser after the timing belt/water pump job, I noticed a consistent leak under the rig. Turned out that the water inlet housing was sealed incorrectly. The shop used RTV on the round inlet, where only an O ring was required and somehow coolang was seeping through. The owner was very accomodating, but appeared not to be aware that specific (1282B) liquid gasket was required. He got some from the local dealership and re-installed the inlet housing properly. No more leaks from that spot.
412928670_10163276076618852_3321642284718826725_n.jpg

Fast forward a few weeks, I've noticed another leak under the 100. When parked on level ground, the coolant would trickly down the alternator and would make it's way down to the ground. Oddly enough, when parked up hill, i noticed coolant dripping down the bellhousing. Was able to spend some time today poking around the engine bay and noticed a massive pool off coolant sitting in the valley between the heads, under the intake manifold. The car hasnt been driven in 2 days, and now there's a significant amount of coolant just sitting there.
53538468810_6d7eccfdd4_k.jpg

53537168312_e53d95d317_k.jpg

Any ideas what could potentially be contributing to this leak? I'm scheduled to take the cruiser back to the shop mid week, and would like to have an idea what might be causing this. My impression that this shop was knowledgeable about these particular rigs, but now I'm becoming nervious that the FSM is completely ignored and shade tree methods are used...

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

the only things that could drop water in there are the :

1. back of the water pump housing, but you confirmed that is no longer leaking
2. Crossover pipes- the front one can be seen / replaced without removing the intake manifold, the rear requires removal of the intake
3. throttle body coolant hoses, there are 3 of them

Well....my guess is they botched the O-ring at the back of the water pump...hopefully they didn't put sealer there too, just the O-ring and a little grease is all that's needed! RTV and O-rings don't work well together!

I'm also noticing that some liquid gasket is being squeezed out from between the water pump housing and the block. I know the FSM calls for a gasket, without and additional silicone or FIPG. How common or "OK" is it to use liquid gasket between the water pump and the block? Is it a huge red flag? The shop owner mentioned to me that he sees lots of leaks with AISIN brand water pumps, therefore preferring a different brand (don't recall which one)..

It was the front crossover pipe for me where someone added sealant for the thermostat and broke it. Easily fixed and the part was not expensive.

I'm also noticing that some liquid gasket is being squeezed out from between the water pump housing and the block. I know the FSM calls for a gasket, without and additional silicone or FIPG. How common or "OK" is it to use liquid gasket between the water pump and the block? Is it a huge red flag? The shop owner mentioned to me that he sees lots of leaks with AISIN brand water pumps, therefore preferring a different brand (don't recall which one)..
No sealant behind the water pump! The metal gasket and cleaned block are all that's needed. I do a fair mix of Aisin and toyota pumps, haven't had one leak yet! As a matter of fact I'll only install thise 2! Man, I think someone didn't know what they were doing when they did that job, the only sealant used is on the flat surface at the thermostat to water pump connection. Definitely none on the O-rings or behind the water pump...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom