How hard is it to soundproof the roof on a 1994? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been doing some soundproofing on the car, and am tempted to do the roof but been reading horror stories about how complicated it is to drop the headliner.

Is it possible to lower it around an inch or two so I can just reach inside to glue some soundproofing mat onto the roof and then snap it back in, or should I just forget about it and not get into it? Pre-facelift 1994.

Been doing some soundproofing on the car, and am tempted to do the roof but been reading horror stories about how complicated it is to drop the headliner.

Is it possible to lower it around an inch or two so I can just reach inside to glue some soundproofing mat onto the roof and then snap it back in, or should I just forget about it and not get into it? Pre-facelift 1994.

Unless you have another reason to pull the liner, don't do it.

You can remove the sunroof glass by removing the trim pieces from below, unbolting the glass and then pushing it up/out of the roof. The weatherstripping is part of the glass / sold together with the glass. Some folks have had luck adding a bicycle tube to tighten it up, etc.

You can remove the sunroof glass by removing the trim pieces from below, unbolting the glass and then pushing it up/out of the roof. The weatherstripping is part of the glass / sold together with the glass. Some folks have had luck adding a bicycle tube to tighten it up, etc.
I see. I was reading some threads and you’re right, it seems the weatherstripping is part of the glass. So uh … what did I buy then, because I ended up getting two strips, rear and front, of “sunroof weatherstripping”… did I buy something useless? 63252-60010 and 63254-60010 is what I got.

[edit] my bad. The parts I got are for the sunroof carrier frame to the body, vs. the glass having its own gasket. Can these be replaced without taking the headliner down? I mean I got them, I might as well do them I feel like, unless it’s too big of a job.

The entire head liner has to come down and tye sun roof assembly does too might as well weld up the roof rack holes while your there.

Some screen shots off my ig page

Screenshot_20230303_185302_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230303_185310_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230303_185326_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230303_185357_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230303_185418_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230303_185425_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230303_185501_Instagram.jpg

Hmm. I had a shop in the middle east replace my sunroof frame because it was broken, so it required removal of the frame … they did it via removing the windshield, but I could swear they did it without dropping the headliner. I wonder if the alternate way is to remove the windshield, drop the front only and slide the whole assembly out? I guess it works better if you have around 10 people to work on it, lol.

Oh man that’s serious :D I don’t have the willpower to do something like that but you’re going to have a seriously quiet car when that’s done, hah.

Interestingly though I don’t think I have roof rack holes (that I can see from outside), so nothing to weld?

Oh man that’s serious :D I don’t have the willpower to do something like that but you’re going to have a seriously quiet car when that’s done, hah.

Interestingly though I don’t think I have roof rack holes (that I can see from outside), so nothing to weld?
You may not have roof rack holes take a look on the roof and see if you don't that's great the rivnuts rust out . The 94 headliner is a complete pain in the ass to get out oh and then it has to go back in... front windshield cargo windows all the seals around the doors it's a lot not my 80 it's a customer's 80. Roof leaking motor blown ls swap sound deadening throughout oh and a manual transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom