How fast with locked wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dragstrip or slalom?

-B-

-Redline in top gear.
-That's up to you, terrain, surface, proximity of immobile objects, etc.

considering you should only be locked when stuck or getting over one difficult obstacle, hopefully it would not be at getaway speed :flipoff2:

What's y'all's take on the center locker? On straight snowy sections, I've gone 50mph or so in high range with it locked, anyone ever go faster? and is there a recommended speed below which you can safely engage/disengage the CDL, or do you always do it at a complete stop? yes, I've been known to shift on the fly on occasion too... just curious what the rest of you are doing... thanks.

If I understand the question right. I have used the CDL switch on my 94 to unlock and lock the center from sitting still to 75 mph on snow and wet roads here in Colorado. Never any problems. The fastest I have gone with every thing locked (front and rear diffes and center) is on a muddy track about 35-40 mph. lots of fun. later Robbie

I have rallied in sand wrapped out with everything except the front diff locked, never had a problem. Ignore the owners manual that says only use lockers at low speed. However I rarely use the front diff lock, just makes it imposible to steer, even on soft ground. I've also heard the front diff locked is a real birfield killer, just my 2c's.

XL,

Careful with blanket generalities like ignoring the owner's manual on slow speed use. The warnings on erratic handling are for real and I suspect you know that since your rig is modified for offroad use. I think that's one of the reasons nobody but Toyota has offered a fully locked rig in the US. The concern is that a numbnut owner simply checks the box on the order form and gets these things called "lockers" with no clue how dangerous they can be. An aftermarket fitted locker is more of a purposeful purchase by a knowledgeable enthusiast and generally a higher level of skill and awareness comes with that buyer.

Running fast with the diff (s) locked increases the danger, stress on the vehicle and potential for damage. Directionally this means use the lockers at slower speeds, which is really what they're for. Even your fast sand use is incorrect unless the route is perfectly straight, in which case there would be minimal chance of wheelspin in the first place. Just my input.

DougM

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=9626;start=msg85908#msg85908 date=1073443008]
I think that's one of the reasons nobody but Toyota has offered a fully locked rig in the US. [/quote]

Not to nitpick, but--for clarity--Jeep (Rubicon) and Mercedes (G500) are fully locked too.

But I think these vehicles allow for locking only in low range, pretty much limiting them to 20mph or less.

But I might be wrong.

Maybee I should have been a little more clear in my write up. I was only using my usage of the lockers to let JON feel confident in the fact that the factory lockers are strong enough to handle speeds over what the owners manual says. I totally agree that if you have no experience in using lockers, that they can get you into a ton of $hit REALLY quickly!! Just try side tracking a hill with front and rear locked in the snow - you only go sideways. Sorry for the short write up before, I have a tendency to just assume people know what a locker does, my bad!!

OEM 80 series diff locks are inhibited from locking unless the center diff is locked first. In the OEM configuration (no CDL switch) that means the vehicle will also have to be in low range. In addition, the diffs are inhibited from locking if the vehicle speed is in excess of 5MPH. Once locked, the vehicle can be operated as fast as one dares.(not recommended)

I kan lock the rear OEM locker with the
center diff unlocked locked, high low
in the morning, in the night
when ever the trail doesn't feel right
i kan lock (the rear) any time i like

But do you like green eggs and ham?

:D

-B-

Kurt I am,

I am reluctant to drive my vehicle off of the jacksands to enable that feature...... :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, i pretty much figured anything about 10-20 mph was really bad so its not like ima take this beast to the local tuner shop and start a race. Me and my dad were exploring some construction sites and i locked it up to get the acctuators a work out and he was like noooooooo not above 5mph with the wheels lock blah blah blah. Anyways thanks for the input, this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom