How Do You Carry Your Spare (33") Tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just ordered my 33x10.5 tires. So How do I carry my spare if I don't have a fancy rear bumper with a spare tire mount?

Andrew

i put mine on my roof rack

I have my 35 tucked up underneath where the factory spare was. Just keep it mounted to the stock wheel to keep it as skinny as possible, that is unless you are rotating all 5 tires.

I have seen some folks who put it inside the cargo area along one side or the other (usuall driver side). That's a possibility.

I keep (kept) my spare under the truck, in the stock location. Fits just fine.

On the Kaymar, for easy access.

I have seen people build a simple bracket in the cargo area to hold them, seems to work well but cuts into cargo space, they'll fit underneath, or you could spring for a sweet rear bumper with tire carrier, or get really redneck and build a bracket and mount it on the front

Mine stays underneath unless I'm wheeling something above easy. Then it goes inside. I made a mount to hold it inside up against the wall but I use the space too often to keep the tire there.

I wish i had a spare tire to put someplace, anybody got a 34 inch ltb for me?

I just mounted it in the cargo area, driver's side, w/ some all thread to the brackets inside the vinyl panel. Not super stout, but seems to hold it OK...

I mounted mine in the rear on the driverside, It's only a thirty one but I have set in a thirty five and is fits too, Just used some one and a quarter inch tubing spaced out from the side so it would not be close to the window, not hard to build, just need a welder,drill and a tubing nocher. Hold it in place with a rachet strap. Works pretty good and does'nt move or rattle.

I am surprised that it will fit in the stock location. That is good to know. I still need an alternative mounting for wheeling, though.

I wonder if it is possible to fabricate a subrframe that will fit mostly under the stock bumper, but have a mount for a swing-out carrier?

Andrew

I've put some thought into that myself, except I was looking at reinforcing the bumper and adding a swing out carrier to it. haven't worked out the details, but if you come up with something share it so that we can all learn, and I'll do the same. i envision some type bumper inside the stock bumper in order to make it stout enough for the swing out. stronger bumper with the stock chrome 2x4 look. I'll play with it some more on my days off.

I keep mine in the rear cargo area and move it on top (front of roof rack) when I am wheeling to distribute weight better. Keeps the ass end from dragging on rocks as badly.

I can't fit my 60 in the garage with the tire up there, so that's why it doesn't live there permanently.

I didn't know it would fit underneath either. Good to know.

Sure is a lot of weight to put up top when wheeling. I could tell a pretty big difference in off camber situations when I switched my roof rack floor from plywood to expanded metal. IIRC that change droped the roof rack weight by 20 lbs.

Im going to try strapping mine to the roof for my trip coming up...
Well see how it goes.

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom