How do I stop this before it becomes a bigger issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
78B56EF6-CE01-4086-9625-53D4F37B1E6B.jpeg
6613FF69-3133-4E5E-8167-62E143581312.jpeg

Ez. Watch some YouTube videos.

What I did was tape a box around the blisters. sand them down, and spray some primer once you. if you get metal exposed after you sand it down spray some rust inhibitor on it.

Dig them out with a tiny screwdriver to bare shiny metal. Apply a drop of ospho to convert the remaining rust dust in the pores, wipe off, apply a dab of touch up paint primer, then color then topcoat.

Ended up finding a larger rust spot on the underside of the drip rail (just below where the picture was taken). Got a quote to have both spots sanded down, treated and patched (as well as one additional spot on the inside of my passenger front door). Hoping I can at least stop the spread before it gets away from me. Dang I need another garage space for this truck!! Even in southern California...

Thank you all for the tips.

You can get a waterproof car cover to at least keep it dry during our short rainy season.

You can get a waterproof car cover to at least keep it dry during our short rainy season.
I have thought about doing that. I probably should. The sun isn't doing any favors to the paint and interior either. I think the little rust spots are mostly a result of condensation in the early mornings. I live about 2 miles from the beach so there is likely some salt in the air when the wind picks up also.

Do you have any recommendations on covers? I have seen good reviews on here for California car covers.

Rust is like an iceberg floating in the ocean; you only see what's above the surface, there is more. But yours doesn't look too bad, so yeah! If it's bad rust that requires welding in patches be prepared to have to drop the interior headliner; that complicates things. After you do fix the rust, be sure to get rid of the old/not functioning seam sealer in the drip rails and reseal properly. Good luck my homie! :)

I waxed my hood with that Nu-Finish wax stuff every year or so. It was really easy. The cruiser was never in a garage for 30 years and I lived near the beach so morning dew was always heavy and had a little salt in it.
After 30 years my hood still was almost immaculate. Zero rust bubbles or any rust spots.
Waxing paint DOES work. It seals the tiny pores in the paint preventing moisture from getting in - and finding steel.

I have thought about doing that. I probably should. The sun isn't doing any favors to the paint and interior either. I think the little rust spots are mostly a result of condensation in the early mornings. I live about 2 miles from the beach so there is likely some salt in the air when the wind picks up also.

Do you have any recommendations on covers? I have seen good reviews on here for California car covers.
Only suggestion I have, is don't be cheap, and make sure it is waterproof and breathable. They may not make one specifically for your Land Cruiser but if you order a universal cover for an SUV it should probably work. I ordered a universal SUV cover that was 190 -201" and it fits perfect and I even have a roof rack.

@kevin in okinawa You're telling me :confused:. I figure it is a small problem now so I'm going to try to get out in front of it as best I can. I watched a small paint blemish turn to entire roof panel of oxidation on my tacoma in a short amount of time. It was superficial but it bugged me to no end.

@2mountainfish "Don't be cheap" is a recurring theme in my head as it relates to my land cruiser these days. I want this thing to outlast me! I will need to invest in a good cover once I have the body work done. It's not so much the $$ but the thought of adding one additional step on my way out the door each morning. Getting a toddler in the car is already an ordeal of its own.

@OSS that is a good call on the nu finish. I hit it with a generic wax a few months ago but that stuff is probably long gone by now. I do run through the self-wash every couple of weeks to keep the dirt/grime off of the paint as best I can.

It rusts from the inside.. a car cover wont really assist a great deal in preventing more of this, you need to get a load of fish oil or penetrol into the cavity - not easy with the headlining still in place.

If you have a garage, Figure out which vehicle is worth the most to you, and then keep it in the garage. I finally have space in my garage for my Land Cruiser, but this is the vehicle that has to sleep outside. It was a tough call, but at the end of the day, my Land Cruiser is worth way more to me😎.

CE4BD2EE-60A8-4E93-B4D7-B5E2AD265234.jpeg

199FB313-3C55-416A-A89D-C0B5C596D6A5.jpeg

F871D95B-AC3F-4516-8FC1-A417F17AD716.jpeg

D9D3CDF0-6381-41A6-8CAE-9D980DD9C754.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a nice custom fit Noah exterior california car cover for my 60, and would keep the moisture absorbing pails you get from lowes, in the interior. Cover was maybe $400 some years ago, but well worth it once you start paying for repairs like these. Sku was 10067NH. Best of luck!

The California Covers cover for the Jeep Commander fits almost perfectly. Its a good fit. I used one (Commander cover) on my FJ60 for several months when parked a couple blocks from the ocean and it REALLY helped a lot keeping the dew off the vehicle. I was super impressed. Keeps the smog soot off of it too. Highly recommended

F0F203E7-3F74-4A4A-B607-2E2C7CB4106E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom