How do I remove my gauge cluster? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hello, I have a 1973 FJ40 and I have been struggling to remove my dashboard gauge cluster. If anybody has tried this, you will know what I mean. How do I get it out? No matter which way I pull it, it feels like there are metal tabs in the dashboard holding the cluster in place. Any tips/helpful information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Usually the hardest part for me is getting the spedo cable off. I have a '76, with the cable off I can pull it out far enough at the top to lift it out the metal tabs that hold it in on the bottom. There should be a plastic clip holding the cable to the back of the cluster.

Yeah, it can test your patience. Make sure you have enough slack in your speedo cable. There are 2 metal tabs welded to the bottom of the cluster housing. They hook over the dash cutout. So the top of the cluster housing needs to come out first. IOW tip the cluster as if the bottom has “hinges”. The tricky part is getting the the top of the housing to clear the dash cutout. It’s tight. Then reach in and unhook the speedo cable. My 71 cable unscrews and my 76 has a tab that just clips on. Obviously unhook any gauge related wires you can get at from under the dash access. With most everything unhooked, hold your mouth right and finess the cluster out. I believe you’ll then just have the 10gauge WL & W wire to remove.

Clearly with the gauge removed you’ll want to methodically scuff all the contacts.

Also while you have access, pull your brake light. It grounds through the dash. So scuff it up and the hole cutout in the dash. 4WD light ect.

I take it, before you started working on the gauge cluster, you disconnected the battery.

Here is a tip I read on here somewhere. Once you wrangle the cluster out, take a dremel with a cutting blade and cut about 1/3 of the lower two tabs off. Makes the cluster re-installation and any future removal so much easier.

I had to reach up under the dash and disconnect the speedo cable in order for the top of the housing to clear the dash cutout... maybe I’m doing it wrong. In any event, it’s a giant PITA. Definitely going to try that dremel tip.

Once removed, I also find that putting some additional ‘relief’ spacing into the top of the pedal bucket for the speedometer cable is a good idea.

I got tired of this problem, so...
I used an angle grinder to carefully cut a notch at the top of the dash, right where the speedo cable hits. I also shortened those two lower tabs.

Now the cluster almost 'falls out' when I remove the twwo screws and tilt it towrd me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom