How did I get higher gas milage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I'm not complaining about this at all. :cheers:

But for the life of me I can't figure out why this happened. I've not changed anything on the truck since about a month ago at which time I did birfs and had diffs/transfer changed all with full synthetic lubes. Wires recently replaced with OEM; new plugs about three/four months ago were checked and regapped (they were off after dealer put them in--can't trust anyone these days!). Was getting about 14-15 at that time.

Drove from NJ to Shenandoah Valley last weekend, and got 17.25 mpg (nothing in tow, just me and the missus with some gear; average speed 70mph 80% highway driving--note that this is with the SC too). I've never had this kind of milage since new and initially thought it was a fluke or bad measurement. But on the return trip got pretty much the same. I was careful about measuring too becuase I didn't believe it.

So I need to know the secret of my success. I don't want to do anything to the truck now until I know why this happened for fear I'll never get it back. Has this happend to anyone else--and if so, do you know why?

Tom

DO NOT OPEN THE HOOD..................... :slap:

Do not wash it, do not remove anything from it, do not change yer clothes........ ;)

Okay...gonna order me some Glovit in the gallon size and just seal it up good. Guess that means no louvered hood for a while. :D

But seriously, I'd like to know what could have happened that it suddenly gets great milage. Maybe it's just getting broken in at 98K?

Tom

But seriously, I'd like to know what could have happened that it suddenly gets great milage. Maybe it's just getting broken in at 98K?
Tom

They always run better right before they blow up :doh:

:D

Shell gas. Don't you watch TV or listen to the radio? ;)

Tom,
I've noticed significant changes based on headwind or tailwind. Is that a possible factor?

The other thing that comes to mind right now is that you probably were not running the A/C last weekend. That makes a little difference on mine.

Did you advance the timing?

-B-

Tom, I'm not complaining either but I was about to post the same question after this weekend's weirdness. I achieved 18.4 mpg from driving 220 miles on one tank, of which half in town (normally 12-14 mpg) then half out of town on a winding up and down stop and go single lane highway in traffic in the rain (normally 14 or 15 mpg on this exact route). Coming back I am currently at 140 miles on the odometer and still well above half a tank. This has never happened before. I got 17 mpg on the original bald street tires driving it home from Salt Lake City but never better than 16 mpg on the ATs since and only that when driving steady freeway miles with no grades. No recent change in tire pressure (40), fuel, fluids or anything else. Could it be a change in fuel formulation for winter?

B-Wulf no tailwind was involved.

must be the synthetic fluids.... ::)

I usually get 220 miles from my mighty 3FE city! :flipoff2:

B: didn't have much in the way of head or tail winds that I noticed, and unless they switched positions for the return trip, it could'nt have been that. I was also running the AC most of the time since I'm not fond of the gale-force winds and noise when at highway speeds.

Semlin: as for winter fuels, I usually see a drop in milage with them, and I don't think they've switched here yet anyway--I can usually smell the difference.

Could be colder air as Gumby pointed out, but then I hope to match Dan's 220 mpg when winter comes :cheers:.

Guess the gods were with me. With the law of averages, I'll probably get 8mpg on the next trip :-\

Tom

220 mpt (tank), not mpg....no synergy drive yet :D

I did gain from about 190 mpt to the 220 when I built my cold air intake (added box per recs here, made a HUGE difference).

Quite cool.

I'm going to second the synthetic fluids theory... I spoke at length about mileage on 80's last summer with Robbie (Christo's super talented wrench boy) at our picnic, he was telling me he gets about 17 in all on his 80's, even with both bumpers, sliders, lift, and 305's. Said the biggest contributer to mileage was switching to all synthetics, and keeping the engine well tuned.

fwiw, I usually get 250-270 mpt, one time I got 310 and was pretty psyched.

Dan, sorry but 220 miles was not empty, just where I chose to fill up. Your 3FE has been measured and found wanting.

My fluids are not new and only the oil is synthetic. It is due for a change.

I like the cold air theory. It was as cold this weekend as it has been since the spring and it was pretty cold last December when I drove back from SLC. I have also noticed the truck seems peppier lately but that's pretty subjective.

Makes me wonder if improvements in the cold air intake are not a good idea. Is there anything you can do short of a snorkel??

My 3FE rocks! :D :flipoff2: :slap:

Mmhh....

I thought the Landcruiser is a big animal. Even the elephant eats much more than the gazelle, or? :D

And a big stomach needs a lot of food !!!

Mike

[quote author=semlin link=board=2;threadid=6307;start=msg51165#msg51165 date=1066234799]
[snip]
Makes me wonder if improvements in the cold air intake are not a good idea. Is there anything you can do short of a snorkel??
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Has anyone w/ a snorkel noticed any power/fuel economy improvements due to either cooler air or the ram-air effect?

I found a slightly "crisper" throttle feel and a reduced inlet air temperature. No impact on fuel usage, awesome "GAWK" factor :D

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom