How bad is your gas mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And I assume you've not had any issues?
Have you witnessed any loss if power due to retarded timing to accommodate the lower octane?
I have been pondering to use 87 or 89 at least to try it out but afraid to.
Use 87 and ethanol free if/when you find it.

I will attest to that. Stock 2010 LX with 20s OEM rims with 285/50/20 Michelin Latitudes.
With 135k miles in the clock.
Engine maintenance is up to date.
Pressure is 35psi.
I always use radar cruise control.
Always use Shell V-Power as it is ethanol free.
Full tank and filled with family of 4 with loaded trunk.
Steady 65-70mph which I think its its sweet spot between 1450-1700rpm.
AC usage plays part as well.
I get 20-22mpg.
I am extremely surprised and quite happy.
Stock 2015 LX, was able to "hypermile" it to 19.1mpg over a 600 mile trip. 4 passengers, regular 87 octane from whomever. Using cruise I tended to get 17-18.
Around town (suburbs), probably 14-15mpg.

This is noticeably better than my previous 08 (on 34.4's) that got 12.5-13 city, 15-16 highway.

Edit: "around town...14-15" includes some highway-esque driving. Purely surface streets is still closer to 12.5-13 like the LC on 34's

Last edited:
My mpg is so bad, I am on the reservation list for the new Hummer so I can have the most inefficient EV available and my 200 won’t feel so bad parked alongside it.

Last edited:
With 35's, ARB Baserack and my extra heavy foot I have averaged 12.3MPG over the past few months.

And I assume you've not had any issues?
Have you witnessed any loss if power due to retarded timing to accommodate the lower octane?
I have been pondering to use 87 or 89 at least to try it out but afraid to.

Of course not! It's the same V8 that goes into V8 Toyota trucks in every single way imaginable. It was built along the LC's V8 in production in Japan. Do not be scared to put regular in your LX.

Just for kicks I have done everything possible to try to get it to knock (I know it won't but I try). You will hear an initial knock before the computer starts adjusting. None of that. Absolutely ZERO difference in power and/or feel. Do not waste your money. LX570 is among the worst MPG wise but it's the only one of the $100k trucks that will run fine, no difference on regular, so it mitigates the awful mileage and cost of gas.

The 5.7 would drink rotgut watered down fuel easily in a pinch I'm sure. These are meant to roam the deserts. 93 Octane isn't gonna be available in lots of different conditions these are made for.

That's why I'm not a fan of the complicated downsized turbo mess 3.4tt.

Of course not! It's the same V8 that goes into V8 Toyota trucks in every single way imaginable. It was built along the LC's V8 in production in Japan. Do not be scared to put regular in your LX.

Just for kicks I have done everything possible to try to get it to knock (I know it won't but I try). You will hear an initial knock before the computer starts adjusting. None of that. Absolutely ZERO difference in power and/or feel. Do not waste your money. LX570 is among the worst MPG wise but it's the only one of the $100k trucks that will run fine, no difference on regular, so it mitigates the awful mileage and cost of gas.

The 5.7 would drink rotgut watered down fuel easily in a pinch I'm sure. These are meant to roam the deserts. 93 Octane isn't gonna be available in lots of different conditions these are made for.

That's why I'm not a fan of the complicated downsized turbo mess 3.4tt.

As you're finally getting a hitch and trailer, you might want to give that further consideration. Cruising around is one thing. Pulling heavy loads, possibly on extended grades, is where octane is going to make a more obvious difference.

This is also an issue of margin.

Get a bad batch of rotgut watered down fuel, towing in harsh hot weather conditions, and you might not feel the same. The ECU pulling timing is mitigation for these conditions. Not to enable the regular use of lower octane fuel and riding the knock limiter. There's fair warning in the manual. As a prior tuner, an engine is not an engine. There's tuning for target fuels.

As you're finally getting a hitch and trailer, you might want to give that further consideration. Cruising around is one thing. Pulling heavy loads, possibly on extended grades, is where octane is going to make a more obvious difference.

This is also an issue of margin.

Get a bad batch of rotgut watered down fuel, towing in harsh hot weather conditions, and you might not feel the same. The ECU pulling timing is mitigation for these conditions. Not to enable the regular use of lower octane fuel and riding the knock limiter. There's fair warning in the manual. As a prior tuner, an engine is not an engine. There's tuning for target fuels.

I didn't mean United States fuel while towing. Toyota doesn't say use premium for towing. This engine is literally identical down to every single part and sprocket in there. Same ECU. Same everything. It's just Lexus being Lexus, they're not gonna suggest regular fuel for a $100k truck.

There is no reason on Earth to put premium in an LX. Except for 2 horsepower.

"I can't believe it's zero emission".
it’s all a matter of perspective and most people aren’t thinking past pressing the skinny pedal… for those, it’s zero emission.

Think beyond that to the battery, plug in power source, etc… the picture changes drastically.

Are they the future? Quite possibly. Are they ready for prime time, no. Do they have a market segment that they can serve better than ICE, hard to say but more than likely yes…. for some.

I didn't mean United States fuel while towing. Toyota doesn't say use premium for towing. This engine is literally identical down to every single part and sprocket in there. Same ECU. Same everything. It's just Lexus being Lexus, they're not gonna suggest regular fuel for a $100k truck.

There is no reason on Earth to put premium in an LX. Except for 2 horsepower.

We don't have to agree and I obviously won't change your mind here. Just saying, it's clear based on your comments that this is not an area you have much experience with.

Even with the same physical engine and ECU, there's very real differences that can be made in software calibration to run different grades of fuel. Not just run, but require. 87 to 91 octane may seem like 4 insignifcant potatoes, but it's not. Low grade levels of knock that are undetectable, but may cause longer term issues. It's your perogative. As one that has tuned engines and used tools, logs, and knock headphones, I won't be taking your lead

We don't have to agree and I obviously won't change your mind here. Just saying, it's clear based on your comments that this is not an area you have much experience with.

Even with the same physical engine and ECU, there's very real differences that can be made in software calibration to run different grades of fuel. Not just run, but require. 87 to 91 octane may seem like 4 insignifcant potatoes, but it's not. Low grade levels of knock that are undetectable, but may cause longer term issues. It's your perogative. As one that has tuned engines and used tools, logs, and knock headphones, I won't be taking your lead
Agree and what’s the real cost difference between the two octanes at each fill up anyways. We’re talking maybe $10 extra for premium or $550 extra per year…maybe. I could never understand this silliness when people buy a luxury gas guzzler and expecting to cheap out on fuel

Last edited:
The closest thing to data posted so far in the years of this debate:

We road tripped in the last week of July from Idaho to around Folsom, CA and back. 1516 miles round trip. We used a total start to finish of 77.15 gallons. Overall mpg was 17.48. Driving speed was at the legal limit...parts of California and a lot of Nevada at 80 mph. 2 adults and maybe 150 pounds of stuff.

ETA in Idaho and Nevada I used ethanol free gas as I do normally...no ethanol free in California.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom