How bad is your gas mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The LX seems to do better on MPG bone stock. I never saw much over 17mpg back when I was stock. Better aero maybe?

I've tried to think of logical reasons. It was driven 90% highway by the previous owner, always synthetic oil. I think the engine is just very, very well broken in as a part of it perhaps. Stock all season Michelins. It was a very pleasant surprise, even back when gas was cheap when I got it. 20MPG is good for highway for ANY large heavy BOF truck. City is still horrendous, there's no anomaly there lol. V8 is worth it even with $5 gas.

Just looked at a new Hummer EV edition 1 during cars and coffee. I will say, it's pretty amazing. It has to be the middle finger to EV as it's 9lbs with a massive battery. I thought it was funny when one the folks looking it over said "I can't believe it's zero emission". My wife said I chuckled pretty loudly. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I know we kind of complain about MPG with our 200's but at least they will hopefully out live EV's and ICE vehicles on the road today.

Last edited:
would you happen to have the part numbers for these two sensors for a 2009. I assume they are probably the same but don't want to order the wrong one :confused:
For a 2009 LC the upstream "sensor, air fuel ratio" numbers are 89467-35110
Same for left and right.

Souq is cheap, but local places like cruiser outfitters would really appreciate your business.

I've tried to think of logical reasons. It was driven 90% highway by the previous owner, always synthetic oil. I think the engine is just very, very well broken in as a part of it perhaps. Stock all season Michelins. It was a very pleasant surprise, even back when gas was cheap when I got it. 20MPG is good for highway for ANY large heavy BOF truck. City is still horrendous, there's no anomaly there lol. V8 is worth it even with $5 gas.
I will attest to that. Stock 2010 LX with 20s OEM rims with 285/50/20 Michelin Latitudes.
With 135k miles in the clock.
Engine maintenance is up to date.
Pressure is 35psi.
I always use radar cruise control.
Always use Shell V-Power as it is ethanol free.
Full tank and filled with family of 4 with loaded trunk.
Steady 65-70mph which I think its its sweet spot between 1450-1700rpm.
AC usage plays part as well.
I get 20-22mpg.
I am extremely surprised and quite happy.

Just for grins,sometimes cruise control can hurt your mileage.
I’m not sure if this is tongue-in-cheek or not, but I think there is good truth here.
Going downhill, cruise control will work to slow you down. And if revs awfully high when going up hills in order to keep the set speed.

I need to make the same drive twice, once with cruise control on and once with it off to be able to measure the difference.
Though….. here in Houston where there are no hills, maybe there won’t be a difference.

I’m not sure if this is tongue-in-cheek or not, but I think there is good truth here.
Going downhill, cruise control will work to slow you down. And if revs awfully high when going up hills in order to keep the set speed.

I need to make the same drive twice, once with cruise control on and once with it off to be able to measure the difference.
Though….. here in Houston where there are no hills, maybe there won’t be a difference.
The cruise control is the biggest issue I have with my 200. It’s the worst system I’ve experienced anytime hills are involved and I just switch it off. It’s fine for long distance flat hwy travel with no traffic. Completely useless otherwise.

The cruise control is the biggest issue I have with my 200. It’s the worst system I’ve experienced anytime hills are involved and I just switch it off. It’s fine for long distance flat hwy travel with no traffic. Completely useless otherwise.
Why do you dislike it?

Beyond my suspicion that it lowers my mileage, I really like it.
I have never had a vehicle with adaptive cruise control before though.

One other issue with the adaptive cruise control is that sometimes when I’m not paying attention I get behind a car or truck that slows down to 40 on the highway and it takes a while for me to realize what is happening - after I’ve blown half an hour driving 40 mph. But this is purely on me - I don’t blame the cruise control.

Why do you dislike it?

Beyond my suspicion that it lowers my mileage, I really like it.
I have never had a vehicle with adaptive cruise control before though.

One other issue with the adaptive cruise control is that sometimes when I’m not paying attention I get behind a car or truck that slows down to 40 on the highway and it takes a while for me to realize what is happening - after I’ve blown half an hour driving 40 mph. But this is purely on me - I don’t blame the cruise control.
When someone enters your lane going slower and then speeds up, the Cruise control takes a couple minutes to resume speed and distance to the point you have to speed up and set it again. Also, when you’re going up hills, it doesn’t prep itself for rise and it uses more rpm then necessary. It’s not a smooth transition. Going down steeper hills and you want to slow it down via using cruise control speed toggle, the dang thing speeds up. This happens all the time and on my previous 200’s so I know it’s not just mine. It was really scary when I first experience coming down Vail pass and a curve was coming up and I tried to slow the vehicle speed using the stalk control and it sped up just before the curve. I had to apply the brakes. I have never experienced this on my other vehicles. The 200 is not my favorite for long hwy road tripping. The X7 and Navigator are so much better at this task. I prefer my 200 for nearby trips that include running over parking lot curbs, venturing into the mountains and nasty weather travel.

At 20k miles in my '21 LC200 - my mpg results are fairly consistent
14-15 mpg around town (driving like i have somewhere to be and keeping up with traffic flow)
16-17 mpg on highway at 75 mph (probably the happy spot for this vehicle from air flow noise and road feel perspective)
15-16 mpg on highway at 85 mph (realizing that this vehicle really is a blunt instrument aerodynamically!)

Seth

Hey! At least our cruisers take regular unleaded :steer: :p

Hey! At least our cruisers take regular unleaded

At 20k miles in my '21 LC200 - my mpg results are fairly consistent
14-15 mpg around town (driving like i have somewhere to be and keeping up with traffic flow)
16-17 mpg on highway at 75 mph (probably the happy spot for this vehicle from air flow noise and road feel perspective)
15-16 mpg on highway at 85 mph (realizing that this vehicle really is a blunt instrument aerodynamically!)

Seth
Interested to hear if anyone has compared mileage with and without ethanol gas. I have read zero ethanol gives 5-10% better mileage.

With 33" BFG K02's I manage around 13-14 mpg on the highway at about 70mph. This is with roof rack and awning attached as well.

When someone enters your lane going slower and then speeds up, the Cruise control takes a couple minutes to resume speed and distance to the point you have to speed up and set it again.

Mine only is maybe 10-15 seconds, but more importantly you can turn the adaptive feature off so it never happens.

Mine only is maybe 10-15 seconds, but more importantly you can turn the adaptive feature off so it never happens.
True, but how am I’m supposed to nap?

City 12MPG - Hwy 17 - 33" BFG KO2 (load range E). Drive pretty conservative, not a hot rodder.

Mods that could affect MPG:
Westcott 2" front / 1" rear
Sliders (Slee)
33" BFG K02

The Toyota/Lexus Adaptive Cruise Control available on the 200's is pretty poor in comparison to my experience with other late model domestic makes. It's better than not having it at all but it is far from being very good.

Hey! At least our cruisers take regular unleaded :steer: :p

I meant to say, I am 99.99999% sure it lived it's first life with premium fuel. I've had it a year and a half and it's never seen a drop of anything other than 87 gas. Delivers a touch over 20MPG on regular. Don't anyone waste money on premium if you drive an LX.

I meant to say, I am 99.99999% sure it lived it's first life with premium fuel. I've had it a year and a half and it's never seen a drop of anything other than 87 gas. Delivers a touch over 20MPG on regular. Don't anyone waste money on premium if you drive an LX.
And I assume you've not had any issues?
Have you witnessed any loss if power due to retarded timing to accommodate the lower octane?
I have been pondering to use 87 or 89 at least to try it out but afraid to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom