How bad is your gas mileage? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not throw a wrench in this “measure with a micrometer, split it with an axe” drill but... My ‘13 LX under reported mileage by a fraction, perhaps .05% on stock tires. On 33.0” tires it under reports miles by 5.2-5.3%. Considering what I discovered if you want to be accurate with MPG you need to GPS 10 miles or more and figure in ODO error.

Oddly the speedo is almost dead-on with 33s.

Agreed, I have about a 1mph difference between the GPS speed and truck speedo at 70mph with the 33's.

Last edited:
Calculate your mileage the old fashioned way . . . And report back

Old fashioned way calculated 19.42mpg while the trip computer showed 19.2 when I pulled into the gas station

Ok, I'll be "that guy". After owning several of these pigs: who cares? This is about the last vehicle you should own if you care about fuel economy.

Actually, since the mpg sucks as does the range, you have to care more be more on top of it. I just did a trip where I drove 800 miles in day, got lunch and did 2 hours of wheeling, stayed remote for several days and turned around and did it again on the way home. I was crossing Nevada Arizona and Cali with long stretches. If I wasn’t aware and not on top of it, I’d be on the side of the road.

That being said, I did see many highway tanks at 16 and 17 mpg fully loaded with a family of four and four vertically mounted mt bikes on a hitch carrier.

Every 200 miles, I'm getting more gas 😭😭😭

I get around 28L/100km in Hanoi, Vietnam. Which I believe it converts to 8.4mpg. My LC is the 4.6L version though so the 5.7L like u guys have in the States might be getting a little worse mpg here.

Everyone here needs to add a LRA tank to their vehicle.

Ok, I'll be "that guy". After owning several of these pigs: who cares? This is about the last vehicle you should own if you care about fuel economy.
Pull a trailer getting 6.6 mpg at 65mph on the 153 mile stretch between Carlsbad caverns and El Paso Texas where there is no fuel and tell me mileage doesn’t matter. :)

There are lots of stretches out west where you can go 100 miles or more (Utah and Nevada for instance) without any services.

Good to know. Makes sense why you'd care about that.

I don't have that kind of long stretch with no fuel where I am here in the East, so I've never felt like I was at any risk of running out of fuel. I don't watch it closely, but it seems like I must get something between 200-300 miles to a tank. Let's assume 20 gallons at 10 mpg, just for argument's sake - that gives a 200 mile range.

Seems like a diesel engine or even an auxiliary tank for the gasser would be useful in the towing conditions you describe. Toyota has those in other parts of the world too, and won't give them to us. :) ...

Good to know. Makes sense why you'd care about that.

I don't have that kind of long stretch with no fuel where I am here in the East, so I've never felt like I was at any risk of running out of fuel. I don't watch it closely, but it seems like I must get something between 200-300 miles to a tank. Let's assume 20 gallons at 10 mpg, just for argument's sake - that gives a 200 mile range.

Seems like a diesel engine or even an auxiliary tank for the gassed would be useful in the towing conditions you describe. Toyota has those in other parts of the world too, and won't give them to us. :) ...
Having lived in MD and VA for 30 years I agree you’re never more than 30 miles from a gas station even in a remote area. Similar around Chicago for me now

I’d like an aux tank but (1) I’m already about 4800# in the rear axle when towing so I’m not sure I want to add more weight, and (2) while they’re convenient the rotopax cost me a small fraction of the cost (tho less capacity of course).

Too bad we didn't get the Tundra's 38 gallon tank. Not that there is room for it with a 112" wheelbase. But that's what the thirsty 5.7 needs to get any type of real range.

Even worse is the 19gal tank in the GX. LRA is coming out with an aux tank for them and 5th Gen by years end.

With the greatest respect; do you know what the pedal on right does? That’s pretty phenomenal mpg.

Deets plz: Tires, air pressure, fuel type, driving habits etc.

Highway cruising I'm going with traffic if not faster. Road trips for me tend to stay at 80mph+
Running defender LTX at the RCTIP given by the master.

Been running premium only, my dad ran regular in it on one tank and the gas mileage dropped to 16 for that tank (mostly highway)
Only thing I've done that I can see helping me was baseline with AMSOIL. trans, diffs, t case, engine oil
I am carrying an extra 200lbs if not more between the sliders and gear I always keep in the back

Speed is a mileage killer for the LC200. I was in the Florida Keys two weeks ago, and drove from Key Largo to Key West...just under 100 miles. The speed limit in the Keys never exceeds 60mph, and there are very few traffic lights. My average for the 200 miles was over 20 mpg. 45-55mph seems to be the sweet spot.

Towing my travel trailer (~3000lbs loaded) I get a little better than 14mpg taking non-highway routes.

Here at home, combo of highway and city, I average around 17mpg. “City” for me is roads with a 45-50mph speed limit and limited traffic lights.

I do use a Pedal Commander and feel that it increases my mileage.

The other key to 'hypermiling' in a modern vehicle is to change up your coasting techniques. Most people feather the gas on downhills or while slowing down. While reducing the fuel flow, there is still fuel combusting. If you take your foot completely off the gas and the RPMs are > ~1,200 then fuel flow is cut entirely. The engine continues to spin but only as an air pump. I've found that rolling hills yields slightly better fuel econ than steady flat. Same with coming to a stoplight. Plan your coast and come completely off the gas.

The other fuel econ misnomer is to be ginger with the throttle on acceleration. I've found that moderate brisk acceleration is better than 'grandpa' accel. Minimizes time in the acceleration zone and gives greater time in top gear cruise.

At most these techniques are going to buy you 0.5 mpg (3-5%) gain. A well greased pig is still a pig.

I do agree to the extreme speed sensitivity of a well built 200. Anything much over 70 and I see a rapid drop. But that's with RTT, etc.

The 200-series as engineered and delivered by the manufacturer gets reasonable range and fuel mileage.

Much of the dismay to poor fuel efficiency is government and self inflicted.

Government because here in the states, we get piss grade fuel. Lower octane than what other modern parts of the world have. Then we get hit with watered down ethanol which reduces the effective energy content by volume pumped into what was a right sized gas tank. These two things combined reduce effective range by some 15%.

The rest is attribed to overlanding type mods and gear. None of which is condusive to fuel efficiency. OEMs fight for every minor percentage point of efficiency. We like our gear and mods resulting in major percentage losses.

All added together results in dismal efficiency.

Do we love our mods? Yes, but understand there are trades. Question is whether a stock rig is lovable enough. Or if a modified rig is livable enough?

Different answer and balance for different owners.

I enjoy my mods. Most of which is my LRA 12.5 subtank. I no longer live at the gas station.

Last edited:
Do we love our mods? Yes, but understand there are trades. Question is whether a stock rig is lovable enough. Or if a modified rig is livable enough?

Different answer and balance for different owners.

I enjoy my mods. Most of which is my LRA 12.5 subtank. I no longer live at the gas station.

All of this is why near-stock height with sliders to prevent rocker damage, P-metric 33s, stock bumpers, and nothing more than maybe a shovel on the rack will be what I stick with for a long time. With that setup I'm able to hit 17-18 mpg at 75 running a bit more than RCTIP, when adjusting for tire diameter, as long as there isn't a stiff cross-wind.

Actually.. has anyone else noticed that cross winds seem to impact mileage more than head winds? In my head it could make sense if the cross-wind does something weird with how airflow is designed to move around the truck and disproportionately increases drag.. whereas a headwind is simply adding drag 1:1.

Back to the setup. With second and third row removed I can sleep inside the truck comfortably with my cooler and gear.

All of this is why near-stock height with sliders to prevent rocker damage, P-metric 33s, stock bumpers, and nothing more than maybe a shovel on the rack will be what I stick with for a long time. With that setup I'm able to hit 17-18 mpg at 75 running a bit more than RCTIP, when adjusting for tire diameter, as long as there isn't a stiff cross-wind.

Actually.. has anyone else noticed that cross winds seem to impact mileage more than head winds? In my head it could make sense if the cross-wind does something weird with how airflow is designed to move around the truck and disproportionately increases drag.. whereas a headwind is simply adding drag 1:1.

Back to the setup. With second and third row removed I can sleep inside the truck comfortably with my cooler and gear.
I too have noticed the x-wind killing mpg. The truck is stable and doesn’t seem to blow around but mpg suffers seemingly worse than a straight headwind.

Cross winds in the 5th Gen 4Runner are down right brutal. We drop an average of 5-6mpg with a 20+ mph crosswind which can be quite often here on the south coast of Texas. Not only does it impact the fuel economy but they can blow the vehicle a few feet in either direction sometimes nearly tossing you into the other lane, a very unsettling experience at 65+ mph. In the LX I don't notice them as much in terms of physically feeling the wind move the truck but it still impacts the fuel economy 2-3 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom