How bad is your gas mileage? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Basically the same here. My Cruiser feels planted, but the mileage hit is definitely there.

I had a 99 Lexus GS400 and a gen 1 Tundra . Both V8. Same mpg ballpark as my 15 LC. At least the LC takes regular, unlike the GS which took premium. I love the toyota v8 so I just enjoy the ride and try not to look at mpg.

An indirect way I offset fuel consumption of my two very thirsty cars, the 5.7L V8 and a 3.6L TT flat 6, is to have a fantastically "fuel" efficient vehicle in the family. My wife's had a EV for 7 years, and we just replaced it with another that's 30% again more efficient.

As a family we use to spend upwards of $600 a month on gas. With the EV in place for my wife's commute and family weekends, we're now around $200. No hybrid 300-series will come close to that kind of material difference to the family bottom line.

All of this is why near-stock height with sliders to prevent rocker damage, P-metric 33s, stock bumpers, and nothing more than maybe a shovel on the rack will be what I stick with for a long time. With that setup I'm able to hit 17-18 mpg at 75 running a bit more than RCTIP, when adjusting for tire diameter, as long as there isn't a stiff cross-wind.

Actually.. has anyone else noticed that cross winds seem to impact mileage more than head winds? In my head it could make sense if the cross-wind does something weird with how airflow is designed to move around the truck and disproportionately increases drag.. whereas a headwind is simply adding drag 1:1.

Back to the setup. With second and third row removed I can sleep inside the truck comfortably with my cooler and gear.

I am an avid cyclist and will take a direct head wind over a cross wind any day. For whatever the scientific reason, it is substantially more difficult to pedal in a cross wind.

I notice cross winds in the 200 more than I remember in other vehicles. Not pushing me around, but slowing me down. 🤷‍♂️

She was a thirsty girl-
that first rainy night we met-
And a thirsty girl she still be-
But she is true-
And she is loyal to a poor lad like me-

My lil' 6,000 pound girl gets between 10 - 16 mpg depending on her MOOD...

13MPG city driving and 15MPG HWY. Lifted with AT tires and a platform rack. Also here in CO I don't trust their 85 octane so I always put in the mid grade of 87. I have read many different topics for and against 85 at altitude and don't want to chance it.

An indirect way I offset fuel consumption of my two very thirsty cars, the 5.7L V8 and a 3.6L TT flat 6, is to have a fantastically "fuel" efficient vehicle in the family. My wife's had a EV for 7 years, and we just replaced it with another that's 30% again more efficient.

As a family we use to spend upwards of $600 a month on gas. With the EV in place for my wife's commute and family weekends, we're now around $200. No hybrid 300-series will come close to that kind of material difference to the family bottom line.

I've thought about a Model 3 for the same reasons. Love the Tesla technology.

2008 LC
175k miles
275/70R18 KO2s
ARB front and rear bumpers
1st tank fill up: 170 miles, 18 gallons, EDIT: 5% adjustment for tire size yields (33.2"current/31.5"stock) = 9.9mpg :doh:

That's like 700hp street racer territory.

This tank did include being stuck in 4Lo for about 15 miles last week, but at least 80 miles of the tank was on the freeway with cruise control set to 70mph. I knew these were thirsty, but was hoping for 11/12 city and 15/17 on the highway. When I joke with my neighbor about the MPG, I say "At least it gets double digits MPG." Well... apparently not.

I'll replace the engine air filter and do an oil change and report back at the next fill up.

Last edited:
2008 LC
175k miles
275/70R18 KO2s
1st tank fill up: 170 miles, 18 gallons, 2% adjustment for tire size (33.2"current/32.5"stock) = 9.6mpg :doh:

This tank did include being stuck in 4Lo for about 15 miles last week, but at least 80 miles of the tank was on the freeway with cruise control set to 70mph. I knew these were thirsty, but was hoping for 11/12 city and 15/17 on the highway. When I joke with my neighbor about the MPG, I say "At least it gets double digits MPG." Well... apparently not.

I'll replace the engine air filter and do an oil change and report back at the next fill up.
Just for grins,sometimes cruise control can hurt your mileage.

2008 LC
175k miles
275/70R18 KO2s
1st tank fill up: 170 miles, 18 gallons, 2% adjustment for tire size (33.2"current/32.5"stock) = 9.6mpg :doh:

If it makes you feel better, I think you can take a larger correction factor.

I believe the stock LC tire size (285/60R18) is nominally 31.5".

9.9MPG

2008 LC
175k miles
275/70R18 KO2s

That's crap mileage given your specs. I run the same size tire less the bumpers and I see 14-15.5mpg in town and 16-17.5mpg on the highway. I have seen as high as 22mpg on the highway with a crazy tailwind a few times and we do 70-80mph here in Texas everyday. I can't see your few hundred pounds in bumpers bringing you down 35% from my numbers even if you live in a mountain state. You should be hand calculating at a 5.4% difference for the tires.

That's crap mileage given your specs. I run the same size tire less the bumpers and I see 14-15.5mpg in town and 16-17.5mpg on the highway. I have seen as high as 22mpg on the highway with a crazy tailwind a few times and we do 70-80mph here in Texas everyday. I can't see your few hundred pounds in bumpers bringing you down 35% from my numbers even if you live in a mountain state. You should be hand calculating at a 5.4% difference for the tires.
This was all flat land travel. I did make the edit above and calculated at 5% for 31.5” stock tires. Yup @TeCKis300 that’s 9.9mpg.

Well, the good news is that the air filter appears to be more or less brand new. :oops:

Agree with @Tex68w that 9.9MPG does seem a bit low. Though I don't have a bumper to know what to expect? @grinchy , is this what you would expect? Seems extreme even for a larger ARB.

I'm on 35s with otherwise stock aero and tried pretty hard to keep things as efficient as possible. 11-12 MPG around town. 14-16 MPG fwy.

At 175k, you might look into refreshing the primary oxygen sensors as that could have a good impact.

Agree with @Tex68w that 9.9MPG does seem a bit low. Though I don't have a bumper to know what to expect? @grinchy , is this what you would expect? Seems extreme even for a larger ARB.

I'm on 35s with otherwise stock aero and tried pretty hard to keep things as efficient as possible. 11-12 MPG around town. 14-16 MPG fwy.

At 175k, you might look into refreshing the primary oxygen sensors as that could have a good impact.
I'm hoping this is a simple error, maybe I forgot to hit the reset button for 20 miles after filling or something (I don't think so- but it's not impossible). I say I'll at least give it one more tank of normal driving before I start trouble shooting.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this is a simple error, maybe I forgot to hit the reset button for 20 miles after filling or something (I don't think so- but it's not impossible). I say I'll at least give it one more tank of normal driving before I start trouble shooting.

I would because your numbers are awful low.

I have a stock front bumper and occasionally see sub 10 mph on hardcore city driving where the average is like 15 mph city driving with hills and stoplights etc and no highway speeds ever. Max posted would be 35, but usually 25 or 30.

Regular city is 12 or 13 when mixed with some highway.

I recently got 15 on a several hour drive that averaged 45mph (weekend traffic on main roads posted at 50 or 55).

I get 14 mpg or so at 65 mph.

This is why I go by actual odometer reading for all of my mileage calculations, not trip meter.

Fuelly makes that very easy, especially the sms protocol.

Also I’d venture to guess front bumper will make the single biggest impact on fuel efficiency short of towing a trailer.. or maybe a giant roof top box. What they do to uncover the front tires and prevent air flowing cleanly around the vehicle is quite significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom