How bad is your gas mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How bad is my gas mileage? Bad enough that I stopped worrying about it. When I was tracking it, I’d get between 10-15 mpg depending on conditions and if I’m towing.

I pretty consistently get 10 on the road. Trail is lower. I'm heavy at about 8500#s fully loaded.

Stock 2018 LC almost 2000 miles
50/50 hwy/cty
Around 15.8mpg
Most I have seen is 16mpg
Lowest is 14.7
B7E7C594-8000-456C-9583-E533E8AC5E3B.png

I don't worry about resale value. I'm going to be buried in my LC...

Been cruising at a steady 80mph and averaging this. Bone stock minus extra weight of sliders

However, my cousin has a 2019, did the same road trip I'm doing and only got 14mpg.. any ideas why he's steadily getting worse mileage than me? We talked about mileage for quite and how we drive, fairly similar

20190908_170628.jpg

Been cruising at a steady 80mph and averaging this. Bone stock minus extra weight of sliders

However, my cousin has a 2019, did the same road trip I'm doing and only got 14mpg.. any ideas why he's steadily getting worse mileage than me? We talked about mileage for quite and how we drive, fairly similar

View attachment 2078407

That is very impressive mileage for 80mph. As for the difference in 16+, due to the transmission ratios they turn significantly more RPMs on the freeway in spite of the taller diff ratios. Maybe that’s the cause.

Just passed 290,000 miles and I still don't care about MPG :)

That's over 20,000 gallons in fuel! Or $70,000! Wow! Love it!

Just to give reference, this is a 20K gal tank:

20000-Gallon-fuel-storage-tanks.jpg

That is very impressive mileage for 80mph. As for the difference in 16+, due to the transmission ratios they turn significantly more RPMs on the freeway in spite of the taller diff ratios. Maybe that’s the cause.

I get surprisingly great gas mileage.. did a trip once on back roads cruising around 60 and got 22mpg.

I would've thought the extra 2 gears help. Didn't know if he needed to do a fluid flush or anything to get normal gas mileage. He recently broke 6k on it.
Diff fluid, trans, t cass

I get surprisingly great gas mileage.. did a trip once on back roads cruising around 60 and got 22mpg.

I would've thought the extra 2 gears help. Didn't know if he needed to do a fluid flush or anything to get normal gas mileage. He recently broke 6k on it.
Diff fluid, trans, t cass

The tallest gear on an 8spd is still significantly lower than 6th in the earlier trans. 8gears will help around town and definitely when towing but what matters on the freeway is overdrive ratio. Plus with that low mileage his isn’t really even broken in yet. His mileage is what I’d expect traveling 80mph so I wouldn’t be worried about it, personally. This is a huge suv with a large v8 and no “tricks” for mileage like GMs cylinder deactivation or similar. Yours is actually the anomaly here.

Have you verified the reported mileage with calculating everything at fill-up? What tire model and size?

View attachment 2078407
You’re a NASCAR fan and your cousin isn’t?

Seriously, that’s a pretty huge difference.

You guys they are getting impressive mileage - are you at sea level or at elevation (like Denver or Wyoming)? Towing out west I noticed my mileage was definitely better at elevation (but not going through mountains). Also wondering if you’re running premium or regular and whether you still have the factory tires or if you’ve replaced them (even with the same model)

@bloc

I always do a calculation to make sure the computer isn't wrong. Tends to either be spot on or the computer is actually lower by a bit, and my mileage is .x better than what the computer is stating. When I bought the LC it came with 265/65, I know that's 20mm skinnier but wouldn't have expected that much better mileage. They are a street tire that is P metric, so I would assume the weight is similar to stock tires.

@linuxgod we both run premium only, we live in area closer to sea level (Atlanta, GA and DC area).

For tires I was thinking less about weight per say and more about tire compound. I had read that manufacturer specs on new vehicle tires may be optimized for low rolling resistance to improve mileage and that replacement tires from the tire manufacturer, even the same ones, might have poorer mileage

The tallest gear on an 8spd is still significantly lower than 6th in the earlier trans. 8gears will help around town and definitely when towing but what matters on the freeway is overdrive ratio. Plus with that low mileage his isn’t really even broken in yet. His mileage is what I’d expect traveling 80mph so I wouldn’t be worried about it, personally. This is a huge suv with a large v8 and no “tricks” for mileage like GMs cylinder deactivation or similar. Yours is actually the anomaly here.

Have you verified the reported mileage with calculating everything at fill-up? What tire model and size?
What’s the 8 speed RPM @ 70mph?

I'll take a look tomorrow. I am on 33's though so will be slightly off from stock.

Just did the calculation.. should be 1893. Which is way lower than all the calculations I did in another thread on the topic.. just realizing the ratios posted in that thread weren’t correct. A 16+ should turn slightly less rpm than a 08-15, so that theory is out the window.

Again I suggest hand calculation. That 2019 mileage is normal, 19@80 is not.

Not throw a wrench in this “measure with a micrometer, split it with an axe” drill but... My ‘13 LX under reported mileage by a fraction, perhaps .05% on stock tires. On 33.0” tires it under reports miles by 5.2-5.3%. Considering what I discovered if you want to be accurate with MPG you need to GPS 10 miles or more and figure in ODO error.

Oddly the speedo is almost dead-on with 33s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom