How are you guys liking the E rated KO2's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace my D Rated KO2's pronto before a trip and just found out they now come in E only. I dont really need or want an E rated tire!
How is the ride on the Es? Do they air down well enough or are they too stiff for a 100 series?
Thanks

I am now on my 2nd set of E-Rated 275/70/18 KO2. I like them a lot. I got over 50k on the first set and only got new ones because I wanted to move the old ones onto my trailer and use one as a spare. They are fantastic off-road and I've been able to comfortably air down to 15psi in sand and 20psi on rocks with zero issues.

Having said that, I do daily drive them. They are noticeably harsher than my previous C Rated tires that came on the rig. However, that harshness isn't too bad. If you have no need for E Rated tires i.e. towing or lots of rocks, than I see no reason why D wouldn't be a better option for overall comfort. Oh, they aren't that great in the rain. Everywhere else, they are excellent. But rain is not their strong point.

C rated is the sweet spot between E and P. E rated has its trade offs but @ 60+ lbs a tire for 33s, which is 20 more than a P rated tire, I run either P rated or C if I can find them for 275/65/18 or 265/70/18. Almost all tires for the 275/70/18 are E rated.

Has anyone gone from 285 75 16 D to the same size in E? I guess that's what I really need feedback on.......
I'd like to stick with the KO2 but just not sure about the E rating. Depending on what you guys say about the E's I may move to a different brand.

Just get them. I barely noticed any difference switching from the factory Michelin’s (which were new at the time, only 500 miles).

I run mine at around 40psi on the street and they are fine for me. I would say they would be harsh at 60psi, but i feel like 40s are pretty reasonable. And i will air down to under 20 (18ish) off road and they are great.

Mine was fine, but maybe because i fine tuned my AHC but others on regular suspension might find it harsh. They are noticeably heavier than C rated tires though, but are much tougher for the trails. I switched from E to C as of today so i'll give it a week or two then i'll write a review.

My new C rated 285/70/17

48637580263_2579eb609d_b.jpg

Just bought the third set of 275/70/18 BFG E-rated ATs a couple weeks ago. So, I've got over 100,000 miles on these tires. I genuinely don't even look at other tires - sales, discounts... don't care. I'm amazed these tires are as good as they are on the trail, the street, rain, snow.... Sure, there's a tire that's better in the mud, and tire that's better in the rain... but all around? And, get 60,000+ miles?

Love'em

I'm a big fan of the KO2s, E-rated or not.

My current ones are E-rated (275-70-18) and I don't mind/notice at all. My wife seems to notice, tough.

I used to have them at 45 psi and she was mysteriously car sick more often since I put them on this summer. We did an offroad trip and aired down to 25 for the trail and back up to ~33 for highway. She was all of a sudden less car sick. I thought it was all in her head so I experimented by inflating them a little more up to ~38 or so without telling her. She noticed right away.

I have a rear bumper and want to be able to tow so E-rated is probably what I need, but if I weren't likely to need E-rated I might search for non-E options given my wife's recent experience.

What @Manhattan said, only I'm on my second set of E rated KO2. I changed the first set with 56k miles on them, still had about 1/3 of the thread left (they were not very good off road anymore and started aquaplaning).

I need to replace my D Rated KO2's pronto before a trip and just found out they now come in E only. I dont really need or want an E rated tire!
How is the ride on the Es? Do they air down well enough or are they too stiff for a 100 series?
Thanks

in your sig line: 2002 LC 100, Bump It Offroad Sliders, Viair 460C OBA w/Slider Air Tanks, Dual Batteries-Blue Sea ML Series ACR, 285 BFG A/T's, OME T-Bars, 866's, '03+ ARB Bull Bar, Slee Rear Bumper, M12000, Ligthtforce 170's, Yaesu FT-7900R, 2.2m K-9 Rack, Foxwing Awning, Custom Drawer System
The additional weight your rolling I wouldn't choose anything but an E-Rated tire; for the load capacity (when aired down) and the tough 10ply construction. I have 35k on mine and they ride great- are wearing very well- have endured some sculpted chips from nasty sharp rocks and are pretty smooth rolling at hwy speed. For street: 32psi front/ 35 Rear and they are quite forgiving.

Its a good weekend to buy tires. DT is doing a 10% off rebate on the purchase price ( in the form of a Visa card).

I'm not sure if it's my head but my E rated tire feels pretty firm @ 40psi when it's cold but it feels like it smooths out after a mile or two (if that makes any sense).

Love them! I have had this set on my LX for 3 years and I've had two or 3 sets on my 4runner for years and years. I did not notice a difference going between C and E on my 4runner back in the day, even though everyone guaranteed I would.

Ok, I'm sold! E-Rated it is. I'll give them a try.
Thanks for all of the replies and encouragement. Tomorrow I'll get online and shop for the best deal. I'll let you know how I make out.

Just because you run an E doesn't mean you have to run stupid psi.
Run what the door tag says and adjust from there. Imo 40psi is too high for anything not carrying a serious load.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies and encouragement. Tomorrow I'll get online and shop for the best deal. I'll let you know how I make out.

Good call given your equipment. I didn't notice all you had. With armor, drawers, batteries, etc... E-rated is a good call in my book.

Just because you run an E doesn't mean you have to run stupid psi.
Run what the doorag says and adjust from there. Imo 40psi is too high for anything not carrying a serious load.

Definitely. I think shops set them so high because they see these often on extra duty trucks, but on a passenger SUV, that's a little excessive.

I run 45psi in mine and that seems to be my sweet spot for wear, fuel economy, handing, etc.

I'm running E rated, 285/75/16 KO2 on my stock suspension 100. No complaints with ride or on road manners from me.

Did you pull the trigger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom