Holy, excess wires, Batman (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After I ran a new wire to power my idle solenoid, I wanted to see what all the other wires were on my desmogged 79 FJ40. I removed the loom and there are 11 wires coming through the firewall. One is for a small box on the carb, one is for the brake sensor and the rest are dead. There are two 2-wire connectors and one of those was for the solenoid which I wired to a switched fuse. All the wires are 20 or 22 guage except two 12 ga which were taped up and I left that way.

I ran a new loom for the three wires I'm using and bundled the rest in the old loom and afixed them to the firewall.

Question for the team...Should I trace the wires throught the firewall and remove them or just leave them?

Runs OK, I have a carb issue not related to wires.

I think all these wires are related to emission controls which I no longer have. I suspect one or two are for the carb fan which I have never seen either.

post up the colors of the wires, someone will be able to interpret what they were for from the FSM wiring diagram for your year

i have two extra wires on my 78 that i could never figure out what they go to.. everything works perfect including the carb fan so i didn't worry about it - does your temp gauge work? that might be one of them

The temp gauge is fine, it goes though the other fire wall penetration. These wires are all through the penetration by the brake booster. I'll go back out and record the colors.

Extra wires

Does it look like this? :doh:
IMG_0286.jpg

My idle solenoid is connected to a switched fuse. I checked the wiring diagram and realized I don't need the emissions control computer. I took it out with no affect on the vehicle. I think most of the excess wires are to the computer and I'll start opening up the looms and pulling them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom