Holes on frame not accessible when installing hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Of course i didnt realize this until i had all the other bolts in but there seems to be a defect in the frame. The metal overlaps the hole too much on the drivers side so there in no way to get the 3rd bolt in. Its the same way on the passengers side frame but those are not needed for the hitch. Has anybody seen this issue before?

20190722_205657.jpg

20190722_205713.jpg

Yes, die grinder.
It's common on 100s to find those weld nuts out of position but usually not the hole in the frame. It's possible the weld nut IS out of position and the hole in the hitch is slightly off. Either way carefull grinding should be able to take care of it.
Make sure you wear a hat and a good face shield! Good luck.

Definitely try to bend the weld-nut back into place. They seem to be welded to a thin piece of sheetmetal that's welded to one of the sides of the frame tube, IIRC. I would avoid grinding at all costs. If you mess up the weld-nut you'll have to get creative on how to get a bolt in there.

Bump, can it be moved back into place using a screwdriver? Seen other posts which say to use dremel and just cut the holes bigger but want to avoid that.

I had the same issue. I'm not a bodybuilder but I'm not a weakling either and I was not able to move it into place with my screwdrivers or the pry bars that I have. I just run all but 2 bolts, 1 on each side. I also dont tow much. If you tow a boat or camper might want to look into having a hitch shop or fab shop install the hitch.

I've got the same problem - what was your resolution? Were you able to bend it into place?

There's no way you're bending that hole into place, IMO. It's welded in place. The nut and the overlapping sheet metal.
Bump, can it be moved back into place using a screwdriver? Seen other posts which say to use dremel and just cut the holes bigger but want to avoid that.
No, it cannot be bent. If it could, that would make for a terrible place to mount a hitch. It needs to be ground out.

I dealt with this on my 99 and my 06. It's just how the 100 series frames are. Those holes don't overlap well and need some grinder action to correct.

Punch the captive nut off- and install a riv-nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom