HJ60 A440F Transmission and Transfercase Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there any interest in additional pictures of this A440F that I'm rebuilding? It was shifting erratically and would over rev when upshifting.
I bought the master kit from rock auto and have since found out that there are a few parts that don't come in the kit.
Any bearings you might want to replace and the sacrificial Spacer (for manual valve lever) 90560-20008.
I ordered all the parts listed for the TCase but missed the speedo drive o-ring and seal 90301-18018, 90310-09001.

Bought a used transmission jack and took at it. Being in a 40 with frame stretch it was a tight fit but it came out without drama. I should explain that I rebuilt the vehicle without touching the powertrain since it was running when I bought the donor HJ60 and I just wanted to get the thing on the road first.
DSC_4346.JPG

DSC_4349.JPG

Things come apart very quickly. I didn't need any special tools really other than the bearing puller/hydraulic press, a blind bearing puller I made myself and a puller for the transmission sections. A 4x8 clean table was setup to hold everything. Plan is to rebuild/check one piece at a time per the FSM to keep the number of loose parts manageable.
DSC_4357.JPG

DSC_4359.JPG

DSC_4358.JPG

My A440F is behaving very similar to yours. Never thought of rebuilding it myself, this thread gives me hope. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.
Best of Luck with it.
:beer:

Last edited:
First installment of rebuild. Following the FSM the Oil Pump was checked, new seal and o-ring installed and reassembled. Everything within spec for this.
Since all information is in the FSM I'll just post pictures. Note I was very careful to reinstall the oil pump the same way it was originally so it wouldn't have to wear in differently. There is one light score on the plate from one of the teeth with a slight raised part on it. This was stoned down gently and checked on surface plate.

DSC_4363.JPG

DSC_4364.JPG

DSC_4365.JPG

Last edited:
Next is the Overdrive Planetary Gear and Overdrive Direct Clutch (C0).
This is also really straight forward. For measuring a piece of coat hanger was used and placed between the dial probe and the piston.
DSC_4366.JPG

I don't have the SST for compressing the springs and I didn't have a PVC cap to cut and fit so I used some milling machine setup clamps and parts with a medium size c-clamp. Just gently compress it enough to remove the snap ring and nothing more.
DSC_4367.JPG

Apart and springs removed for cleaning.
DSC_4368.JPG

Oil pump and C0 reassembled and waiting for the rest. I did not disassemble the one-way clutch since it is working and everything is super clean and within specifications. That does it for one night's work. Maybe I'll change my mind if I find something further in. (Overdrive support piston travel check is in this image but will be the next post when I get time to work on it.)
DSC_4371.JPG

Last edited:
Overdrive Support

Follow the FSM to the letter and this one is straight forward.
Instead of the SST I used some steel blocks to spread the force and 3 c-clamps.
DSC_4373.JPG

Piston removed
DSC_4375.JPG

Checking the travel. For this the coat hanger was bent to suit.
DSC_4376.JPG

Front Clutch (C1)

Checking the travel before disassembly. The other end of the coat hanger was bent to slip down into the space as required.
DSC_4377.JPG

Clutch Plates removed. This one has a cushion plate that is shaped like a belleville washer. Also in this shot the piston is removed.
DSC_4378.JPG

To remove the piston snap ring use a large c-clamp and some steel bits.
DSC_4379.JPG

In this one there was a piece of metal embedded in one of the friction discs. All discs and plates in this module were replaced with new
DSC_4381.JPG

Completed assembly.
DSC_4383.JPG

Rear Clutch (C2)

More of the same. All parts checked according to the FSM etc. Piston travel checked with the same piece of coat hanger (different bends on each end from the prior assemblies) Same as all other work, all o-rings replaced.
DSC_4384.JPG

Completed assembly with new plates and discs.
DSC_4386.JPG

Center Support

Nothing special or different from the Overdrive Support. Replaced the o-rings, discs and plates, checked all the measurements and reassembled.

Removing the clutch parts. Same procedure used for compressing the spring cage (3 clamps with steel blocks). This piston was a bit of a pain to remove. It needs to come out perfectly straight or else it will window jam. The clamps can be used to limit how far the piston is pushed out by the air. Also don't forget to match mark it per the FSM.
DSC_4388.JPG

Measuring the travel after reassembly. Same coat hanger.
DSC_4389.JPG

Finished
DSC_4387.JPG

Planetary Gear and Output Shaft

There is only one seal to replace on this assembly and it is not split. The seal in my kit seemed fairly stiff and I was nervous to accidently tear it during installation because the old one wouldn't come off without tearing. I warmed the shaft and seal gently with a hair dryer to make it more pliable. Using ATF and carefully working it over the end of the shaft minimizing how far it was stretched brought success.

Governor Valve Assembly

This is out of order per the FSM but I chose to do this first.
There is one gasket, one strainer and 3 seal rings to replace, otherwise the work is simply cleaning, inspecting and reassembling the gevernor.

DSC_4391.JPG

DSC_4392.JPG

To align the Body to the shaft I used two 0.007" feeler gauges wrapped around the splines. FSM says 0.01mm but that is too thin. Torqued the 8 bolts to spec.
DSC_4393.JPG

Finished assembly
DSC_4396.JPG

Nice lineup of completed modules. Next up First and Reverse Brake (B3) then the intimidating valve body.
DSC_4395.JPG

First and Reverse Brake (B3)

Used milling clamp set to compress this spring and a brass punch to tap out the bearing. This is more of the same.
Image of the rebuilt parts ready to go back in.
DSC_4400.JPG

In this image are the two rods used to measure all the piston displacements and the clamp arrangement used to compress the springs for this assembly.
DSC_4401.JPG

Last edited:
Instead of the valve body I decided to disassemble the rest of the parts and clean up the cases.

Three bolts broke off in the vacuum shift casting even with some heat. One of them was really stubborn and it was milled out for a helicoil.
Setup in the mill.
DSC_4398.JPG

Closeup. The piece of bolt I couldn't drill out is sitting on the vise beside the small jack.
DSC_4399.JPG

Picture of cleaned up cases. I have cleaned these thoroughly but plan to clean the transmission case once more for good measure. One of the bolts broke off in the transfer case, welding a larger nut on it allowed it to spin out easily.
DSC_4402.JPG

DSC_4403.JPG

Last edited:
Disassembled the Valve Body. Care is needed to follow the FSM and layout parts in order. On the lower valve body for some reason the disassembly stops at the low modulator valve but deeper inside the same bore as that valve is the 1-2 Relay Valve. This 8th spring can be found on the Toyota EPC so I don't know why the FSM I am using doesn't include it.

The disappointing thing is that over half of the springs measure less than the length listed as minimum in the manual. I will need to order the springs and also a strainer that isn't included in the master transmission kit. 35396-36010

DSC_4410.JPG

DSC_4411.JPG

DSC_4412.JPG

DSC_4414.JPG

Started assembly per the shop manual. Things were going really well until I noticed the shift fork is very worn. Not sure how I missed it earlier.

DSC_4417.JPG

DSC_4418.JPG

Received the new shift fork and collar (from Dubai) and the transfer case went together without too many problems. One issue is that the thrust washer on the outer case wore into the case and was at risk of spinning. I decided to mill a new groove and recreate what I believe is an oil feed hole.

Mill setup.
DSC_4431.JPG

In this view the wear in the old slot is visible.
DSC_4433.JPG

New groove 1/4" wide and a bit longer than it needed to be. Hole drilled in thrust washer using step drill, to line up with what I believe to be an oil feed to the thrust washer.
DSC_4435.JPG

Last of this post, New diaphragm, seal and o-rings in the vacuum actuator.
DSC_4436.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom