HJ47 stranded, EDIC clicking, turnover, no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Case closed, gents. Compressed air into the dipstick tube did the trick! Looks like it was a priming issue after all. Can't thank everyone enough for the assistance. Would have cost me lots of $$$ had I taken it to a shop. Cheers 🍺

I remember years ago with the old L motors, the drive gear was a loose fit on the crankshaft and after 100,00ks of rattling around on the crank, the splines wore away and the pump stopped working, with disastrous consequences.
When we rebuilt the motor, we used to Loctite the drive gear.
I haven't heard of this happening with the later motors.

Glad you got it going again.
But I would be worried why it lost prime in the first place.
Shouldn't happen on a running engine unless it has sucked air in somehow.

Yeah it's good it's working but I'd investigate it further. Even if the gears are wet even a tiny bit they should create enough Vacume to pull it up the pick up. Oil pump wearing out?

Oil pump wearing out?

I'm curious to know what incline it was parked on.. facing up hill, facing down, level front to back but angled sideways right or left? I think the incline along with the low oil level has done it.

So I was parked on an incline for sure, but I'm having a hard time quantifying the magnitude. It was enough of an incline that a small person would barely be able to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards if the vehicle was in neutral.

I agree that the combination of old vehicle, incline, and low oil level explain my issue.

It was enough of an incline that a small person would barely be able to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards if the vehicle was in neutral.

So the front of the vehicle was slightly uphill?

This matches with what hj 60 said.. he parks facing downhill and his vehicle builds prime faster after sitting for a long time. I'm going to experiment with mine to see if uphill or downhill is better for maintaining prime.. mine takes uncomfortably long to build prime after sitting for quite a while.. and my driveway is on a slight uphill incline. I'll park backwards tonight and leave it for a week..

The list from the FSM also mentions bearings, I don't know if this is really a problem or a guess/could happen?

LU2 Lubrication System trouble shooting HJ60:
file.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom