80 series wont start just clicks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
tried to start today and only clicks. Charged both batteries and load tested them all good. it uses 24 volts to start. checked starter relay all good. Replaced 12 - 24 change over relay as was getting bad resistance across 1 contact. Has anyone had this problem before?

I had an issue where I was overloading the wiring with the current to engage the starter solenoid so it was just clicking. Maybe you have increased resistance in one of the lines due to corrosion/degradation.

Check the resistance on the line going to the solenoid and/or directly hot wire it from the battery and see if that works.

just my 2c..

I had an issue where I was overloading the wiring with the current to engage the starter solenoid so it was just clicking. Maybe you have increased resistance in one of the lines due to corrosion/degradation.

Check the resistance on the line going to the solenoid and/or directly hot wire it from the battery and see if that works.

just my 2c..
Yeah starting to think I might have to hot wire it with 24 volts. This 24 volt system for starting is getting quite complicated trying to figure out how it actually works. I checked the voltage at starter motor and was only getting 12 volts

have you tried to tap on the starter? sometimes you can get it to start if the starter stoped on a dead zone and the starter is really worn

have you tried to tap on the starter? sometimes you can get it to start if the starter stoped on a dead zone and the starter is really worn
Yes I have tried that. If all else fails might have to get mobile auto electrician to come around but they are not cheap at $138 an hour

Really common with the 24 volt starters.

The contacts in the starter solenoid erode, so even though you get contact and some current, there's not enough current passing through the solenoid to keep it energised, so it bounces open. Once open, there's enough current to get it to re-engage, but not stay engaged. So you get click,click,click

Check
1st Contacts in the starter solenoid
2nd battery voltage under load ie starting. Both should read above 12 volts
3rd battery positive and starter ground leads and connections
4th 12-24 volt change over solenoid

I replaced contracts in mine with about $20 worth of generic parts from my local auto electrician

Really common with the 24 volt starters.

The contacts in the starter solenoid erode, so even though you get contact and some current, there's not enough current passing through the solenoid to keep it energised, so it bounces open. Once open, there's enough current to get it to re-engage, but not stay engaged. So you get click,click,click

Check
1st Contacts in the starter solenoid
2nd battery voltage under load ie starting. Both should read above 12 volts
3rd battery positive and starter ground leads and connections
4th 12-24 volt change over solenoid

I replaced contracts in mine with about $20 worth of generic parts from my local auto electrician
The contacts in the starter solenoid just click once when you turn the key, same with the 12-24 volt solenoid. I have checked each of these individually according to the factory manual. The battery voltage barely changes as the starter motor is not energizing. I had my meter on the starter motor and its only getting 12 volts going to it not 24 volts. Both batteries are fully charged and I load tested them with a battery checker. Maybe I need to disconnect batteries and check each one individually .

Check the fusible link and associated wire.
I have worked the system backwards from the starter.
Crawl under and using main power at the starter to energize the starter solenoid.
Use a stout piece of wire.
With the ignition on your unit should start, with key off you can just bump the engine.
Now at least you know that you can drive while getting your head around the next process. While fiddling about I also added a momentary switch to the starter circuit which allows 12volt starting via one battery. This is my emergency backup.
BTW
Fusible link is on the PS battery if this is a Hdj81.

Check the fusible link and associated wire.
I have worked the system backwards from the starter.
Crawl under and using main power at the starter to energize the starter solenoid.
Use a stout piece of wire.
With the ignition on your unit should start, with key off you can just bump the engine.
Now at least you know that you can drive while getting your head around the next process. While fiddling about I also added a momentary switch to the starter circuit which allows 12volt starting via one battery. This is my emergency backup.
BTW
Fusible link is on the PS battery if this is a Hdj81.
Tried to start using the piece of wire but no luck. Ended up removing starter motor and found heaps of rust and corrosion in solenoid. Probably due to all the river crossings over the last 10 years. Have ordered new Taiwanese starter motor

20231109_175302.jpg

20231109_175401.jpg

You mentioned you were only getting 12V at the starter. Just FYI, there will always be 12V at the main starter lug (terminal 30) *until* the 24V combo relay and starter relay kick over, then it would be 24. So, your starter may be bad as you now suspect, but maybe you *also* have an issue at the starter relay or before. Either way, because I just debugged the system forever too, I'd recommend a swap to 12V. At least here in the states, sourcing a 12V is faster and cheaper. I assume that will be the case for you too. For the easiest possible conversion I found, see this last post in my thread:

1HD-FT fuel starved at startup - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1hd-ft-fuel-starved-at-startup.1323596/page-2#post-15220852

This won't give you the added benefits most go for in isolating 1 battery as house, etc., but it is definitely the fastest way to pop in a 12V starter and test that fixes your issue.

Good luck!

Rebuild kits are available for the solenoid contacts, by all means grab a new starter - also consider refurbishing your old one and keeping it as a spare.

1699577857138.png

just my 2c..
Having the same issue with my 80. How exactly do you hot wire the truck? Run a wire from the positive terminal on the battery direct to the solenoid? Leave the key in the "On" position in the ignition to start it, off to just bump it?

I'm trying to troubleshoot whether it's the ignition or the solenoid without having to take a bunch of stuff apart. Pretty sure it's not the starter. I rebuilt that a few years ago, and the hammer trick doesn't work.

A quick start involves crawling under. With the key on you need to grab power from the positive terminal at the starter and tap the terminal at the solenoid (thinking red wire) a stout chunk of wire or careful manipulation of two screwdrivers will accomplish this.
Take care not to touch any other metal as you will create sparks.
If your nervous start with a quick tap of power, you should hear the starter engage. I have done this many times.
Also check the fusible link on PS rhd battery. It may have continuity but cannot handle the load.
I have also wired my hdj81 so it can start with one 12 volt battery in an emergency by wiring in a momentary switch.

This is a fairly common problem on HDJ81’s. Here are some threads that might help:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom