HJ47 stranded, EDIC clicking, turnover, no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Kind of in a tough spot right now. Leaving work, got in my Troopy ('83, 2H), went to start, started up fine, watching for oil pressure...nothing, EDIC clicks, shuts off truck. This has happened in the past when it's cold. Second start oil pressure always builds quickly, and I'm off to the races. Well today, second start, still no oil pressure after start, EDIC shut off truck. Third attempt, truck doesn't even start. Turns over fine, but right when I turn the key to crank, the EDIC clicks once, and when I turn key off, EDIC clicks twice.

I'm at a loss. It appears as though the EDIC is not allowing fuel to flow.

Please help!

I would pop the EDIC arm.. the pump will default to the RUN position and the engine should start. But watch your oil pressure gauge and make sure you really do have oil pressure.

Thanks for that. I did pop the arm off, and the pump lever was in run like you said...still no start. Just cranks and cranks.

OK well you have a different problem then.. I guess its cold.. so its possible you have either a glow problem or a fuel problem. I would pop the bleeder screw on the filter.. you should get a stream of diesel straight away and pumps on your primer pump should spurt diesel. No spurts, you have fuel problem.

How confident are you that your glows are working? It seems unlikely these are the problem given your initial start did fire..

Last edited:
Thanks. Got a ride home from a friend. Will troubleshoot again tomorrow after work. Glow plugs have been working great. She started right up today. I will check the fuel like you mentioned. Really appreciate the help.

Switching to a synthetic 10-30 can help tons with the edic shut off in winter. It's more than anoying. It means oil is physically not pumping where it needs to be in the engine namely the top end which always sees the worst wear on these old engines. Lighter weight oil will flow more easily and synthetic will give you the fluid film strength of heavier oils. Your oil consumption probably will go up. It's more than a fair trade. Whatever you do, don't rev it up hard on a cold start. Cold starts wear like dry starts. Over and over and over.........everytime you start. Dun dun dunnnnnn

That's a great recommendation. Once I get her running again I will heed your advice and change out the oil.

Tried to get her running today during lunch break. Same thing as yesterday. Started great. Ran for 5 seconds, EDIC clicks, motor shuts off, no oil pressure indicated. Same thing happens sencond time. Third time, motor just cranks with no light off.

Bled the two fuel screws, still no luck.

Also, possibly related...anyone know what this plug is for?

IMG_20190214_135308.jpg

IMG_20190214_135319.jpg

Im not sure if a 2h has a oil pressure switch but I think so in order for the EDIC to work? Its on the passenger side on a 3b. But pull that connector off and see if that helps, if its not grounded it should shut it down, just one thing to try. Also worth checking all grounds, cleaning battery terminals etc.

Oh sorry those pics didnt load until after I posted.
thats your water temp sender, which is part of the whole glow system, at least with superglow? Not sure on the specifics with your engine, (or mine lol!) but thats what that is, and its needed. part below. Although I used a generic from some other toyota from autozone.

Thanks a lot for the help. Have a "wilson switch" rigged for my glow control at the moment, so not too worrierd about that sensor for now. Need to grab my 17mm wrench from home after work and see if I can bleed the injector lines. I'm thinking my issue has got to be air getting into the chambers.

Wilson switch is nice to have in this weather, try unplugging the oil switch, easy to do.
best wishes with the search.

If its an air/fuel issue. It tends to splutter to a stop not stop cleanly.

I know you said you pulled the EDIC arm off.. but a clean shutoff on a 2H (not spluttering to a stop) is almost always the EDIC.. are you able to observe, or have someone film the EDIC when it shuts off the 3rd time, or when its cranking and not starting?

Last edited:
I agree, Ive had the same experience with my 3b, quick shut down wasnt fuel/air related.

Got the motor to crank today with a good long 25-30 second glow. Still no oil pressure indicated on dash, so only let it run for about 5 seconds then manually shut it off with fuel lever (had disconnected the EDIC motor arm). Hooked up my mechanical oil pressure gauge and turned her over...zero oil pressure.

Currently looking over engine diagrams to find out where oil pump is and how it works, so any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

This engine hadn't been left to sit for a long while had it (a few weeks?).. Some older 2Hs can really take a long time to build oil pressure.. 10-15 seconds at idle..

Can you also confirm that you have oil at a suitable level in the engine?

Vehicle is daily driver and never sits for more than 12-24 hours without being run. Oil level is near bottom of dipstick, near fill line.

I would have expected SOME oil to squirt out of the oil pressure sender port while cranking over the motor, but nothing...

Perhaps an oil/filter change would help?

Very concerning.. I'm not sure a filter change is going to help.

There is an oil pressure relief valve that is known to stick. This valve generally sticks early in the bore and causes high pressure, but if yours has stuck in the open position the oil pump will be recycling back to the sump.

If it were my vehicle I'd get it towed home and start with this valve (after topping up the oil). With the cover off the valve you'll also be able to confirm if the oil pump is actually pumping, crank the engine and you should have oil squirting out.. no oil, then you'd be looking at an oil pump pick up problem or a fairly dramatic oil pump failure.

My daughter wrote a small guide on how to change this relief valve.. you may struggle to find a replacement stateside but they are readily available from Australia, Terrain Tamer make a replacement valve that is longer. This longer valve picks up a new part of the bore and doesn't stick so readily..

Here is the guide: 2H Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Fantastic. Thanks. I'll look for a replacement valve pronto. Nice guide, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom