Hitch installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanting to bolt up this hitch to the cruiser. Does it face mount to the frame or does it need to go inside the rails?

IMG_20210729_073750.jpg

IMG_20210729_073806.jpg

IMG_20210729_073429.jpg

Also what is the small square thing in the last pic?

It can be face mounted to the frame, it does not need to go inside the frame channel.

That “square thing” looks like an old muffler/exhaust hanger someone tacked on at some point….

Hard to tell which hitch that is but if you are lucky and all the holes line up then just bolt it up. I highly recommend you wire wheel the frame rails clean as well as the mating surface on the hitch. Then prime and paint both surfaces and I’d go one step further once the paint is dry and hit that area with some lanolin or other spray on water repellent or even a healthy coating of grease just to help prevent future corrosion.

Hard to tell which hitch that is but if you are lucky and all the holes line up then just bolt it up. I highly recommend you wire wheel the frame rails clean as well as the mating surface on the hitch. Then prime and paint both surfaces and I’d go one step further once the paint is dry and hit that area with some lanolin or other spray on water repellent or even a healthy coating of grease just to help prevent future corrosion.
That's the plan. Ordered a wire wheel brush for my grinder from amazon today actually. I am pretty sure the holes line up. Just need some spare time to jump on it.

I am pretty sure the holes line up.

Looking at your photos it looks like the front two holes on the hitch might line up, but you are missing the third hole. Usually you need to drill another new hole in the frame rail towards the front of the truck/back of the hitch to mount it properly. Not a trivial task. Better get a nice drill bit if doing that. Despite the rust that steel is tough to cut through. Usually the frame rivets for the C-channels get in the way of being able to mount the hitch flush against the frame rail. You might be OK with the way your hitch is made. Mine was kinda a hack job and I used a hitch that was not made specifically for the 60 series. I used some large square spacer washers on mine to clear the rivets:

1627988226494.png

1627988320562.png

1627988684969.png

Curious what hitch this is. Any info on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom