Who amongst us has a WTO Redneck Ram installed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Matt, you are a genius! Mounting to the ubolt is a game changer; I have the same SOA hardware! No welding to the housing just fabbing the tube clamp!

I’m copying this setup.

I would say that was lazy more then genius - It was supposed to be temporary to get everything going and was going to change it later.

I can’t really recommend copying that part since from a safety standpoint the ram puts a lot of load on that U-bolt end (especially in single shear), if it clipped the end of the U-bolt off that whole spring could possibly lose its whole attachment to the axle.

Plus - there’s a lot of compliance with a single using a sheer bolt, especially one that’s 3” away from the object i the end of the ram is supposed to be attached to.

With all that being said it has been 2 years now and lots of wheeling and way more road miles then most. I drive it every day. Maybe one day I’ll change it, I think I know how I want to do it. Also the bolt on the tie rod rubs the axle housing when steered to the right

I would say that was lazy more then genius - It was supposed to be temporary to get everything going and was going to change it later.

I can’t really recommend copying that part since from a safety standpoint the ram puts a lot of load on that U-bolt end (especially in single shear), if it clipped the end of the U-bolt off that whole spring could possibly lose its whole attachment to the axle.

Plus - there’s a lot of compliance with a single using a sheer bolt, especially one that’s 3” away from the object i the end of the ram is supposed to be attached to.

With all that being said it has been 2 years now and lots of wheeling and way more road miles then most. I drive it every day. Maybe one day I’ll change it, I think I know how I want to do it. Also the bolt on the tie rod rubs the axle housing when steered to the right
Thanks for the feedback! I hear you about the potential cons of that placement…sure is convenient though, lol.🤓

Not a 60 but I run there kit on my 80.
Had them rebuild and port the box, no issues with leaks been on the 80 for 4 or 5 years.
Like others have said there is Fab work to be done and it's more of a generic kit.
I did another install of the same kit to friends 80 and have to other friends with the same kit on there 80s no complaints.
Those clamps on the tie rod tend to move and end up getting welded the tie rod any ways.
Welding the ears does not make it fixed just means you get adjustments in 180 degrees increments instead of infinite adjustment and you have to disconnect the tie rod end to make a adjustment.
If the toe in is set right before you start it's a none issue.

This is my rig
View attachment 3483503
This is the kit I installed on my friends 80, with a WFO axle mount and a red head steering box
View attachment 3483510
Obviously your install will be different as your tie rod is in front concept is the ;) same
did you also install an additional oil cooler? what brands and what size do you recommend? what brand of ram is that in the last photo?

did you also install an additional oil cooler? what brands and what size do you recommend? what brand of ram is that in the last photo?
Yes, a Derale heat sink steering cooler # 13253-13250

The ram is the same one all 4 of us are running 1.5 x 10 Redneck Ram from WTOR
To be clear Ram length is very vehicle specific ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom