Who amongst us has a WTO Redneck Ram installed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevin in okinawa

SILVER Star
Threads
I need to have the gear box rebuilt, it's leaking badly now. I was considering the 80 box with a 105 sector shaft but then realized I need to get a RHD box and that is not going to be affordable...at all, lol. Now, I am thinking about having my stock 61 box rebuilt by WTO, ported, and use their Ram as the power upgrade, and I will still save hundreds of dollars in the process.

Who has a 60 with a redneck ram? Please share your installation experience and your performance review. :)

Is the redneck ram any different from a kit like what PSC makes?
Probably uses a farm tractor hydraulic ram. I've used them before on big mus truck stuff with no power steering box used an orbital valve instead of a power steering box 1 ram 57 inch tractor tires under a Ford econo line van small block chevy th400 transmission 2 divorced transfer case 2 1/2 ton gm military axles fun little toy not a race truck by any means.

OR, experience with any ram-assisted steering setup on a 60-series?

future reader: go to the 40/55 forums and search there; there is a lot of anecdotal information to be gleaned from those threads. :)
1) installation is not one and done; you will have to fab up your own mounting bracketry for the axle housing.
2) instead of welding the end bracket to the TRE, use a HD pipe or tube clamp and weld the ears to it so that the TRE is not in a now-fixed position.

Last edited:
Not a 60 but I run there kit on my 80.
Had them rebuild and port the box, no issues with leaks been on the 80 for 4 or 5 years.
Like others have said there is Fab work to be done and it's more of a generic kit.
I did another install of the same kit to friends 80 and have to other friends with the same kit on there 80s no complaints.
Those clamps on the tie rod tend to move and end up getting welded the tie rod any ways.
Welding the ears does not make it fixed just means you get adjustments in 180 degrees increments instead of infinite adjustment and you have to disconnect the tie rod end to make a adjustment.
If the toe in is set right before you start it's a none issue.

This is my rig
1700180872081.png

This is the kit I installed on my friends 80, with a WFO axle mount and a red head steering box
1700181123876.png

Obviously your install will be different as your tie rod is in front concept is the ;) same

OR, experience with any ram-assisted steering setup on a 60-series?

I used a trail gear set up way back in the day and am still using it. Used on my FJ60 axle and moved it over when I converted to a Dana60 axle. Did a reseal and porting on my steering box myself. So no redneck comments but an overall comment that hydroassist for wheeling with bigger tires and a locker upfront is a good thing so I'd encourage you to move forward with it.

I've found it has provided a safety element with taking some shock load off of the steering box. I'm also convinced it assisted in saving my family's life with my wife driving when a 38" tire up front blew out a sidewall doing 70mph on the freeway. She was easily able to control the slow down and steer to the shoulder without the steering wheel being yanked out of her hands. Ended up replacing a TRE and a tire from that and after a load of laundry, all was well.

I think this is the first time I’ve seen a ram-assist thread in the 60 section in like 10 years

Go 1.5” bore. Any more will feel too numb

I think this is the first time I’ve seen a ram-assist thread in the 60 section in like 10 years

Go 1.5” bore. Any more will feel too numb
That's what the 80 guys use

Matt you should have it on your 60 for the wheeling you like to do. Way easier to stay on the line you pick with the lockers on !!

That's what the 80 guys use

Matt you should have it on your 60 for the wheeling you like to do. Way easier to stay on the line you pick with the lockers on !!

I’ve had one installed for a few years now, I’ve been very happy with it especially since I switched from the field serviceable hoses to real crimped hydraulic hoses

C2ADC761-708A-47FF-9DC9-7D10DF2B7638.png

0F6A3912-B057-4343-B521-8F0FE45419F4.png

I’ve had one installed for a few years now, I’ve been very happy with it especially since I switched from the field serviceable hoses to real crimped hydraulic hoses

View attachment 3484903

View attachment 3484904
Agreed the real crimped hoses are superior !

And the first time you blow a hose on the trail you learn to carry caps in your bag of tricks to cap the steering box off and continue down the trail.

Is that a 1.5" ram ?

Agreed the real crimped hoses are superior !

And the first time you blow a hose on the trail you learn to carry caps in your bag of tricks to cap the steering box off and continue down the trail.

Is that a 1.5" ram ?

Yes 1.5”. Very happy with it. Didn’t effect my road driving at all (in fact I think it made it better? Seems to be basically the best steering damper ever, especially with my super flat drag link and high positive caster, this thing drives dead arrow straight On the freeway even at +85-90mph )
Offroad it basically feels like I’m just on the street even at ~5psi and locked. However I have broken my knuckle studs twice this year, once on each side.

However I have broken my knuckle studs twice this year, once on each side.
If your braking Knuckle studs most likely your ram is pushing past your steering stops. you may need to limit the throw on your ram. Or adjust your steering stops.
My guess is that you know all of this ;)

Yes.
Steering stops are long gone lol

View attachment 3484903

View attachment 3484904
Matt, you are a genius! Mounting to the ubolt is a game changer; I have the same SOA hardware! No welding to the housing just fabbing the tube clamp!

I’m copying this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom