Hit a deer... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had an awesome camping trip in northern Alabama, headed home tonight in my 99 LX and a small buck steps out of the ditch and into the truck. I had driven 4 hours and was 10 minutes from the house when it happened. I got out to go see the deer after checking the damage and I see he is sitting up but he can't move and is still breathing, obviously in bad shape. I don't have a pistol or anything with me, but luckily the next car to come by (within 2 minutes) is a cop and he puts it out of its misery quickly. My kid slept through the impact, me telling him to stay in the car, and 2 pistol shots 30 yards behind the truck haha. Needless to say we wore him out hiking.

I'm so freaking bummed. I'm really hoping they don't total it out. I love this truck and had been slowly setting it up just how I wanted. I filed the claim with Progressive tonight I guess I'll see what they say. I carry a $1k deductible on my comprehensive so if they don't total it I'll definitely repair it. No radiator damage from what I can tell since i drove it the last 5 miles or so back to the house, but lights, grill/hood and probably at least the passenger front quarter panel will need replacement.

On the bright side no one was hurt, and I was able to harvest the back straps and one shoulder from the deer. The rest was too busted.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how fast were you traveling when you hit the bugger? We have plenty of deer, so far I've been lucky but it's only a matter of time.

That’s likely totaled. Age of your vehicle, cost of repair, doubtful they will repair it. However, you may be able to negotiate a buy back, salvage some body parts and go with an aftermarket bumper to save you on the next collision.

I will say I’d be surprised if it’s “only” body damage. Looks like a pretty good impact.

Glad everyone was okay. That’s the main thing.

Just out of curiosity, how fast were you traveling when you hit the bugger? We have plenty of deer, so far I've been lucky but it's only a matter of time.

55 to 60, maybe a little less since I was on the brakes as he trotted out the ditch

Ouch!!! That is exactly the reason I want an ARB or similar bump. I agree that insurance will likely total it out. They don't seem too interested in fixing these old trucks.

I'm really hoping I can get enough from the buy back to put a steel bumper on it. I'm not sure how all that works though with the insurance. I know I ain't sending this to the junk yard

Sorry to see this. Damage looks bad. I am shocked the deer was not killed on impact.

Curious what insurance will do, I've seen far less damage get totalled.

Since airbags didn't go off you might want to do a buy back and fix. TJM bumper for $750, get a used grill and light assembly off of eBay. See if you can get a hood from a scrap yard. Have body shop replace fender with aftermarket parts and paint including hood. Or you can take the money and start looking for a good used LX470.

Since airbags didn't go off you might want to do a buy back and fix. TJM bumper for $750, get a used grill and light assembly off of eBay. See if you can get a hood from a scrap yard. Have body shop replace fender with aftermarket parts and paint including hood. Or you can take the money and start looking for a good used LX470.

this is what I'd like to do. I really dont want to have to look for another truck because I feel like i got pretty lucky with this one. good service records at lexus dealer, brand new tires, new radiator, TB replaced , AHC working well, good leather , no rust. I would dread the search for another

most likely the rad core support is damaged/bent, might be able to get it pulled back close
fender, inner fender, headlight, grill, hood, support for top of bumper plus its brackets, etc

Last edited:
Damn! That’s my biggest fear that I lose her to an accident. I’m counting on my Slee bumper and my loud pipes for deer strike prevention.

BTW, this looks like a great candidate for a buy-back so you can install a new metal bumper and not feel bad about it.. ;)

I would also add that this will be a great candidate for an 06-07 Land Cruiser update if you prefer the LC look...

I would also add that this will be a great candidate for an 06-07 Land Cruiser update if you prefer the LC look...

You mean swap out the front end or just use the money for a newer truck? I do prefer the LC front end but didnt know this was an option

BTW, this looks like a great candidate for a buy-back so you can install a new metal bumper and not feel bad about it.. ;)

Yep I'm shooting for a buy back and upgrade fore sure. I'm so worried I won't get enough to replace the quarter panel and grill though plus a bumper. I'm hoping they can come look at it tomorrow. I can't let this thing go to a junk yard. I know they are going to low ball the hell outta me.

Anyone know what painting that panel might cost? I found one online for about $700.

....I've been out here all morning polishing and waxing a truck with a busted front end to make it look nice for the adjuster haha.

Last edited:
You mean swap out the front end or just use the money for a newer truck? I do prefer the LC front end but didnt know this was an option

The fronts are pretty similar between the two. The OP is already buying so many body panels, what are a few more...

Yep I'm shooting for a buy back and upgrade fore sure. I'm so worried I won't get enough to replace the quarter panel and grill though plus a bumper. I'm hoping they can come look at it tomorrow. I can't let this thing go to a junk yard. I know they are going to low ball the hell outta me.

Anyone know what painting that panel might cost? I found one online for about $700.

....I've been out here all morning polishing and waxing a truck with a busted front end to make it look nice for the adjuster haha.

View attachment 2187137
I hope you will share as I would be very interested to hear what they offer. I am looking forward to being pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:
it is not going to go to a junk yard, that just doesn't happen like the old days.
it will end up at Copart or similar auction place.
not sure what the pre crash value would be.
auction price by me would be $2500-3500, not sure what pricing is in your area of the country
depending on your state, it may end up with a salvage title, so re-sale could be less if that ever happens
My opinion would be to not say anything about wanting it back, get the highest value you can, Unfortunetly new tires and most aftermarket things, stereo etc don't usually add in the insurance value.
after getting the best price, then bring up about buying it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom