Builds His and Her GX 460 Builds (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just ordered a powertray, and really appreciate you documenting this for the rest of us. I like your idea for the mount on the SwitchPro too, as I was trying to figure out something similar that didn't involve drilling.

I just ordered a powertray, and really appreciate you documenting this for the rest of us. I like your idea for the mount on the SwitchPro too, as I was trying to figure out something similar that didn't involve drilling.
Thanks grtuck. Good luck with the install, and let me know if you have any questions. Make sure that you run the control panel wiring through the firewall before installing the Powertray, because there is a lot more room to maneuver and it is much easier to run wires before putting in the tray. After trial and error, I recommend the following installation order:
1) Install all components onto the tray; use locktite (otherwise the compressor running will likely shake them loose). Run wires from SwitchPro to terminal block, making sure you shrink wrap the connectors.
2) Remove the plastic engine cover, vertical metal bracket attached to the fuse box, and other support bracket.
3) Install control panel and run wiring through firewall. I made a new hole in the rubber grommet and used a metal clothes hanger taped to the wire harness to lead it through. Make sure you also run the accessory wire with the add-a-circuit at this time.
4) Install the vertical bracket for the PowerTray that bolts to the side of the fender well. Use the plastic spacer on the bolt closest to the firewall between the bracket and the sheetmetal. Use locktite and tighten down once it is in the proper location with the tray installation (see step 5).
5) Install the tray on the vertical bracket and inside of fender. This is tricky, especially with everything attached underneath and with limited hand space, but it is doable with some patience.
6) Attach any external wires to Blue Sea positive and negative blocks, SwitchPro terminal block, etc., and connect and test wiring for compressor

Last edited:
Thanks Rambler. Below are some I don't think are elsewhere in this thread. If you have any detail requests let me know and I will take some new ones.
20181016_234024.jpg
20181016_234255.jpg
20181016_234008.jpg

You ended up not using the headlight washers...was there simply not enough room with the added U channel trim? I did this bumper on my 5th Gen T4R and trimmed it to literally touch the bumper (used clear bra on the bumper underneath) and had no issues. So wondering if it would fit or not if extended down further to the bumper? It looks close in the pictures.

You ended up not using the headlight washers...was there simply not enough room with the added U channel trim? I did this bumper on my 5th Gen T4R and trimmed it to literally touch the bumper (used clear bra on the bumper underneath) and had no issues. So wondering if it would fit or not if extended down further to the bumper? It looks close in the pictures.

Actually I did reuse the headlight washers. They just were relocated to the ARB bumper, instead of the factory bumper trim. You can see it in the photos below (inside and outside of the bumper):
20171104_125543.jpg
20171111_130839.jpg

Thanks Rambler. Below are some I don't think are elsewhere in this thread. If you have any detail requests let me know and I will take some new ones. View attachment 1811851 View attachment 1811852 View attachment 1811853
That is a very nice looking rig you've put together! Everything looks well thought out. As an engineer myself, I firmly believe in form following function which is manifested throughout your build! That's why I don't like lifted mall-cruiser trucks. About as functional as tits on a snake.

That is a very nice looking rig you've put together! Everything looks well thought out. As an engineer myself, I firmly believe in form following function which is manifested throughout your build! That's why I don't like lifted mall-cruiser trucks. About as functional as tits on a snake.
I appreciate it r2m. I was a mechanical engineer in the automotive industry before going back to school and switching careers, so I am glad that at least some of that experience from my past is still showing through. And I fully agree about mall crawlers; my rig has plenty of scars to show where it has been and that it is fully capable of surviving off the beaten path and miles from the closest Starbucks drive-through.

Did you buckle any body panels on that trail? Or just pin stripping.
Mostly just pin striping, some deep. I have a small dent in my passenger rear door where I bumped a tree on a turn just behind the slider, but otherwise survived without damage. In the leaning photo above the wheels and sliders kept the vehicle from impacting the wall.

Thanks for posting up details of the powertray. Mine came in today and i'm almost done putting it all together. I never would have thought the 5th gen 4runner tray fits perfectly in our GX. Keep up the good work on the build :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom