Builds His and Her GX 460 Builds (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What size fire extinguisher did you mount? I'm trying to get some reference before I order.
That one is a 2.5 lb halon extinguisher. I would not recommend it unless you are familiar with the dangers and use of halon. But similar size chemical extinguishers would fit there as well.

Good info. Thanks for taking time to share.

It's been a while since I posted. I have been working a lot on a few other projects lately (LC200 and 2021 Corvette convertible). But today I did the quickest, easiest mod I think I have ever done: the Console Vault. Very quick and easy installation.

First, remove the carpet at the bottom of the console and remove the two retention bolts using a 10mm socket.
20210411_102225.jpg

Then, prepare the Console Vault by placing a washer on each supplied bolt, opening the vault door, threading the bolts through the holes on the bottom of the vault from the inside, and then placing a spacer and plastic retention washer on the bottom side.
20210411_102728.jpg

20210411_102928.jpg

Then place the Vault into the console space and hand-locate and thread the bolts into the threaded hole locations you earlier removed the bolts from. They should start threading easily by hand. Once both are in hand-tight, tighten down with a socket wrench.
20210411_103236.jpg

Then place in the supplied carpet/pad in the bottom and you are done!
20210411_103247.jpg

Entire process took me less than 10 minutes.

Space loss in the console is almost zero. The box is sturdy and well-made. The steel is coated with a textured product like a bedliner that seems very rugged. The top is spring loaded and opens quietly and easily. Once installed, there is not enough space for the factory console tray, but there is sufficient room to hold pens, insurance card, and other items you may want quickly accessible. Because the sides are steel, magnet-style holsters will attach to the sides if you want to secure a pistol in an elevated position.

I purchased the keyed box, but there are also options for combination locks. Although you can see the single latch point in the photo below for this model, I have tested and confirmed that the latch does not move while in the locked position without breaking something.

Overall I am very happy with this product and would recommend it to anyone interested in secure, lockable storage in their GX.

I need to grab one of these.

Is there a reason you avoided the combination lock? I like the idea of one less key and potentially easier/quicker access.

Reactions: r2m

Is there a reason you avoided the combination lock? I like the idea of one less key and potentially easier/quicker access.
My main reason was security. I prefer the keyed lock that has to be forced over a combo that can be guessed. With the key, I can give the fob only to a valet or mechanic and don't have to worry about whether someone with access and time on their hands will figure out the combination.

I agree about having one less key. I hate keys. The only thing on my key ring is the FOB and house key. Heck, I may even install a combination front door lock. All my locks on my rig (jerry cans, awing, MaxTrax) are all combo locks. I get the type that you can set whatever combination you want so I set them all to the same combo so as not to have to remember 3 different locks.
But as TX GX460 pointed out, with enough time someone could figure out the 4 number combinations (on my locks). Personally, I just don't feel the threat is there. But that's me.

I also added a second fire extinguisher on-board. It is the Element 50. It is solid state and used similarly to a road flare (bottom cap used to strike and start reaction under top cap). Therefore it never needs charging or inspection like a normal extinguisher. Like my Halon extinguisher, it leaves no residue. But unlike the Halon extinguisher, which is an oxygen displacer and should never be used in the same space as humans, the Element can be safely used around people. And this small unit houses significantly more fire extinguishing capacity than a much larger compressed gas unit. I bought a 10 pack on Amazon and distributed them around my extended family for use in homes and vehicles, but they can also be purchased as single units. At $75-80 each they are not cheap, but they are still competitively priced to other no-residue automotive fire extinguishers. Right now it stays in the door panel, but once I find a good mounting location (maybe with a quick fist) I will post it up here.

20210412_124718.jpg

Yea, I'd like to ditch that tank I have hanging in the back of my rig with a couple of these. I assume the coverage/volume/time (or however you compare a solid to a gas extinguisher is compared) is equal or better?

Yea, I'd like to ditch that tank I have hanging in the back of my rig with a couple of these. I assume the coverage/volume/time (or however you compare a solid to a gas extinguisher is compared) is equal or better?
Yes, there are two models, the 50 and 100. The numbers relate to the number of seconds of fire suppression it discharges, so the 50 means 50 seconds of discharge. That is significantly better than most vehicle extinguishers, but if you want more you can get the 100 model. The only downside is the stream is continuous (no start/stop), but when fighting a vehicle fire overkill isn't my top concern.

Reactions: r2m
Without the ability to "turn on/off", I would probably opt for the smaller size. One can always grab a second stick if necessary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom