Highest Mileage 200 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2008 purchased in 2019 at 225k miles. It's nearing 260k now. I've taken it on several 3k+ mile highway trips. It's eaten up many 4x4 trails between Ouray and Lake City with stock everything without any issue. When I have the money I'd pull the headers and re-do the valves and gaskets. It's got a very slight knock every now and then. But it still gets 20-22mpg unloaded on the highway and runs quieter at 70mph than an introvert reading in a desolate library.

It's for sale, $100k USD, cash only. :rofl:
Is it truly a knock or is it in your head?

Totally depends on the use case. All miles are not equal. 400k miles towing in 4th gear or driving like a taxi around the city is far different than 400k miles doing 60mph cruising steady speeds on the highway back and forth across the country.
True. How it's used for X amount of miles is critical. A taxi driver in NYC vs long haul highway miles is going to wear the motor differently. One better one worse. I find the humor in this entire post because well. Look at it. Who the hell expects to get 200k + and more than 15 years out of any other vehicle? It's almost impossible with another brand besides Toyota. It's ludicrous. They just keep going with basic maintenance like keeping the fluids fresh.

If you got 400k from a Chevy 5.7L V8 LS1/2 you would have bragging rights from TX to ME. And at 415k when the motor was replaced I would still call that a win win. Who does that? Who owns a vehicle for that many miles and says to themself "This thing is great, just replace the engine. It's $6k for the work. Im not letting it go everything else is fine."

Is it truly a knock or is it in your head?
Maybe both? ha! It's faint but it's not consistent. It could be the gas here in Denver. I changed the plugs about 30K ago. It's not the knock my old '78 Trans Am had after I was racing it on city streets. It's not like the "ticker" sounds of old Subaru engines or Yamaha touring bikes. I do want to re-do the valves when I have the money and replace the gaskets. Not sure if that would have an impact but it's on my list down the road.

What are your thoughts?

True. How it's used for X amount of miles is critical. A taxi driver in NYC vs long haul highway miles is going to wear the motor differently. One better one worse. I find the humor in this entire post because well. Look at it. Who the hell expects to get 200k + and more than 15 years out of any other vehicle? It's almost impossible with another brand besides Toyota. It's ludicrous. They just keep going with basic maintenance like keeping the fluids fresh.

If you got 400k from a Chevy 5.7L V8 LS1/2 you would have bragging rights from TX to ME. And at 415k when the motor was replaced I would still call that a win win. Who does that? Who owns a vehicle for that many miles and says to themself "This thing is great, just replace the engine. It's $6k for the work. Im not letting it go everything else is fine."
Sold my 8.1 with 309 it made it over 400k then engine replace due to a kid driver

140k miles to late to change trans fluid on lx570 had issues with other trans?
Not at all. If the fluid isn't burnt or black. A safe bet if it has never been changed before is just pump out half and refill. Or just start like the dealers do and drain what is in the pan. Repeat next year regardless of the miles.

If the clutch pads are worn, the old fluid will look sparkly from the metal, that metal in the fluid as messed up as it sounds actually helps the clutch pads bite when they are engaged. So that's a main reason people have the transmission slip after doing a full fluid exchange on a neglected trans.

Second thing which can issues with the transmission after a full exchange is the bottom section. The valve body. It looks like complicated maze of grooves and holes. Transmission fluid is also a cleaner so what can end up happening is the fresh fluid cleans all the big open parts and sends the garbage to the bottom of the pan towards the filter screen. The valve body with all those tiny grooves and holes is right in the path and could get clogged up somewhere. It's not broken just clogged. But this can cause damage down the line.

But even if the clutch pads are warn out and the valve body gets clogged they are the simplest thing to repair on any automatic trans. Still need to rip the trans out. lol

Stay on top of it and you won't have to worry about it. If your worried just start slow. I would not be concerned at 140k about the clutch pads unless a maniac drove it for those mile.

Not at all. If the fluid isn't burnt or black. A safe bet if it has never been changed before is just pump out half and refill. Or just start like the dealers do and drain what is in the pan. Repeat next year regardless of the miles.

If the clutch pads are worn, the old fluid will look sparkly from the metal, that metal in the fluid as messed up as it sounds actually helps the clutch pads bite when they are engaged. So that's a main reason people have the transmission slip after doing a full fluid exchange on a neglected trans.

Second thing which can issues with the transmission after a full exchange is the bottom section. The valve body. It looks like complicated maze of grooves and holes. Transmission fluid is also a cleaner so what can end up happening is the fresh fluid cleans all the big open parts and sends the garbage to the bottom of the pan towards the filter screen. The valve body with all those tiny grooves and holes is right in the path and could get clogged up somewhere. It's not broken just clogged. But this can cause damage down the line.

But even if the clutch pads are warn out and the valve body gets clogged they are the simplest thing to repair on any automatic trans. Still need to rip the trans out. lol

Stay on top of it and you won't have to worry about it. If your worried just start slow. I would not be concerned at 140k about the clutch pads unless a maniac drove it for those mile.
No the gf has driven it since 49-50k miles none have been hard miles or high revs.. mostly to take kid to softball an school

The guy from Cruiserparts who picked up one of my 40’s had a Chevy pickup with 675K. Not sure which engine but I know it was gas. He was towing a trailer bringing truck carcasses like mine from all over the upper East coast up to NH. It showed that he took care of the truck.

My dad had 420k miles on his 2016 Suburban before it was totaled. Original engine, rebuilt trans at 190k. He was a NYC UberSUV driver before the pandemic.

My LX isn't in the running for highest mileage, it's barely broken in at 116k

The guy from Cruiserparts who picked up one of my 40’s had a Chevy pickup with 675K. Not sure which engine but I know it was gas. He was towing a trailer bringing truck carcasses like mine from all over the upper East coast up to NH. It showed that he took care of the truck.
Was it diesel?

I know my 200 series is a baby compared to everyone (2013 / 105K miles) but, i just completed a 7,708 mile road trip from VA to Utah and back across 4 weeks.

It pushed through a tornado and hail while driving through Kansas, 50 degree temperature changes going through mountains, washboard roads / trails (Gemini, Long Canyon, Arches, Shafer Trail) in 110 degree heat, consistently driving 85-100 mph on the highway with constant gear-braking swerving through mountain roads, plus withstanding another tornado on the way home in Missouri - we went approximately 350 miles every 3-4 days.

Mind you, we made it to Utah in 2 days (2 18-hour drives) and made it back to VA in 3 days (1 18 hour day).

It never hesitated and is smoother than ever - she'll be getting an oil change, tire rotation, switching out the transmission fluid and changing the engine / cabin filter (preventative maintenance given all the trails we did) next week.

Let me know if there's anything else I should consider!

The 200 series is an absolute monster and I look forward to hitting the 414K mark as well!

I know my 200 series is a baby compared to everyone (2013 / 105K miles) but, i just completed a 7,708 mile road trip from VA to Utah and back across 4 weeks.

It pushed through a tornado and hail while driving through Kansas, 50 degree temperature changes going through mountains, washboard roads / trails (Gemini, Long Canyon, Arches, Shafer Trail) in 110 degree heat, consistently driving 85-100 mph on the highway with constant gear-braking swerving through mountain roads, plus withstanding another tornado on the way home in Missouri - we went approximately 350 miles every 3-4 days.

Mind you, we made it to Utah in 2 days (2 18-hour drives) and made it back to VA in 3 days (1 18 hour day).

It never hesitated and is smoother than ever - she'll be getting an oil change, tire rotation, switching out the transmission fluid and changing the engine / cabin filter (preventative maintenance given all the trails we did) next week.

The 200 series is an absolute monster and I look forward to hitting the 414K mark as well!
Nice report. These 200s are phenomenal. At 100k they still drive like new. My 2013 also just hit the 100,000 mark and I changed out the spark plugs and did the full transmission fluid exchange (appx 13 quarts). Definitely go for a full exchange. Simply draining and filling the pan only gets out 1/4 of the fluid. I noticed much improved shifts after completing the exchange. I picked up my 2013 at 80,000 miles have since changed all the air filters, power steering fluid (which is ATF fluid), brake fluid, PCV, and all diff/gear oils.
Based on how the plugs looked at 100k I’ll continue to change them between 75k-100k.

I drove my 4Runner to Alaska in 8 days at 200,000 miles. 5,000 mile trip. No issues.

Nice report. These 200s are phenomenal. At 100k they still drive like new. My 2013 also just hit the 100,000 mark and I changed out the spark plugs and did the full transmission fluid exchange (appx 13 quarts). Definitely go for a full exchange. Simply draining and filling the pan only gets out 1/4 of the fluid. I noticed much improved shifts after completing the exchange. I picked up my 2013 at 80,000 miles have since changed all the air filters, power steering fluid (which is ATF fluid), brake fluid, PCV, and all diff/gear oils.
Based on how the plugs looked at 100k I’ll continue to change them between 75k-100k.

That's awesome and love the tips! To clarify, did you go for a full flush or just a drain and replace? Reason being, I was told if you haven't been consistently flushing out fluids, then you should just replace the fluid regularly. Something to do with how the oil ages against the valves and pipes, that flushing (if you haven't been consistently doing that) can damage the units.

I'll add changing the power steering, brake fluid and diff/gear oil as well! Service Manual mentioned spark plugs at 120K miles so I'll wait until then.

That's awesome and love the tips! To clarify, did you go for a full flush or just a drain and replace? Reason being, I was told if you haven't been consistently flushing out fluids, then you should just replace the fluid regularly. Something to do with how the oil ages against the valves and pipes, that flushing (if you haven't been consistently doing that) can damage the units.

I'll add changing the power steering, brake fluid and diff/gear oil as well! Service Manual mentioned spark plugs at 120K miles so I'll wait until then.
Huh? That’s a terrible myth. Do a complete transmission fluid exchange. I’ve done 6 and have had zero issues and no changes in driving characteristics across 3 Toyota’s and 600,000 miles.

I did the full flush/fluid exchange. As @04UZJ100 said do the full exchange. Changing it At 100k is a big difference then changing original/old fluid at 250k-300k. This is when you could see that myth about changing original fluid causing the tranny to fail.

I did the full flush/fluid exchange. As @04UZJ100 said do the full exchange. Changing it At 100k is a big difference then changing original/old fluid at 250k-300k. This is when you could see that myth about changing original fluid causing the tranny to fail.
Thanks for the tip! How often do you flush the ATF?

Do you also flush out the brake, diff/gear oil and power steering fluid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom