High Mileage 2000 LC transmission CLUNK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Lc has 338k miles on it....runs like a top but does have a pronounced clunk sound when 1) Shifting into Reverse from park 2) taking foot off the gas during a hard acceleration.

Any ideas? Not tring to sink a lot of $$ in it as it is a 3rd car but would like to handle it if I can

It's not the transmission. Likely the driveshaft/u-joints are worn or need to be greased. Also check your hub flange, cvs, and front diff bushings.
I concur with this. I might place more weight on the culprit being worn splines in the hub flange or outboard CV shaft, but at 338k miles it could be any or *ALL* of the above.

I have a good bit of steering play as well.....would front rack replacement take care of it?

I have a good bit of steering play as well.....would front rack replacement take care of it?

If the rack isn't leaking I'd say the bushing are shot and need replaced. At 380k I'd say most of the bushing on the truck are shot and need replaced as well.

Clunk is classic Front drive shaft (CV) to hub flange play symptom. Mine had it exactly like you describe.

Check upper steering shaft first. Simple 2-second check:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom