hfj81 or hj61 ofr towing a travel trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks. I'm thinking hj61 auto with a tranny cooler and an extreme valve body. Have heard these do wonders for tranny temp.

The stock A440 TC is reported to be an inefficient design. Rodney does not even want them back, as the Extreme replacement uses a different body (unlike the A442 version). If you've got the jing, I would consider adding the Extreme TC as well.

I'm loving my HDJ81...but I'm not loving towing with it. It's...ok but A/T temps have been an issue for me here in BC. I have a tranny cooler too. Plus don't expect to go anywhere too fast... I certainly have no regrets...but towing is not its strong suit...for mine anyway.

I'm loving my HDJ81...but I'm not loving towing with it. It's...ok but A/T temps have been an issue for me here in BC. I have a tranny cooler too. Plus don't expect to go anywhere too fast... I certainly have no regrets...but towing is not its strong suit...for mine anyway.

Is it the hills in your area or the load? Im sure there are those who would diasagree about towing not being its strong point.

I too would say that towing with my HDJ81 is a little un-pleasant. I put the biggest B&M super cooler they make in front of my rad and have not had temp issues but unless your ready to manually shift all the time while towing this tranny sux. I defiantly do not regret buying this legendary machine, as this is the only pit fall i have found with it. I do enjoy the 15MPG i get while towing a 21 foot North River Jet boat back and forth to Port Alberni that i know i would never come close to in a F-150.

towing with a 61

i've got an automatic hj61 with 255 000 km. on it and i've tried towing my 18ft travel trailer with it. my trailer weighs fully loaded, 3500lbs. every time i try to pull with it, my truck overheats. and yes, it does have a tranny cooler on it. so, my advice would be, don't pull with the 12 ht. but hopefully mine is an isolated instance.

needless to say i am looking to buy a truck to pull with, but not a ford:p. and no, my cruiser isn't for sale.

i've got an automatic hj61 with 255 000 km. on it and i've tried towing my 18ft travel trailer with it. my trailer weighs fully loaded, 3500lbs. every time i try to pull with it, my truck overheats. and yes, it does have a tranny cooler on it. so, my advice would be, don't pull with the 12 ht. but hopefully mine is an isolated instance.

needless to say i am looking to buy a truck to pull with, but not a ford:p. and no, my cruiser isn't for sale.

It think it is important to differentiate between the motor and the tranny. I'm sure it isn't the 12H-T that is the source of your issues.

I've towed upwards of 5000 lbs with a 2H and an H55 and my tranny never overheated. This includes mountain travel.

It think it is important to differentiate between the motor and the tranny. I'm sure it isn't the 12H-T that is the source of your issues.

I've towed upwards of 5000 lbs with a 2H and an H55 and my tranny never overheated. This includes mountain travel.

well then, what do you think is the problem with mine? i think i should be able to pull it.

You ve got a manual

well then, what do you think is the problem with mine? i think i should be able to pull it.

You ve got an auto

I see its got 260K+ on it.Transmission may be showing its age.

I had a manual HJ61 for a short while and it really had some power.
I sold it,then felt remorse,so I looked for another but only came across autos in my price range.
The difference between the manual and auto was noticeable. All units I drove had 250000-310000 klms.

Is it the tranny overheating or the engine?

Jammer, just having a tranny cooler added is often not enough. Maybe if you give us some more precise details we can help.

Do you have a tranny temp gauge placed where the return line goes into the tranny? If so, what are your tranny fluid temps?What is the condition of the tranny fluid after the overheating (bright red or burnnt)? Where is your tranny cooler located and is it the only cooler or do you still have it plumbed through the radiator tranny cooler? Do you have any slippage in your tranny while towing?

As for the engine, do you have any overheating issues when not towing. Has your cooling system been flushed recently? Have you checked your coolant to make sure it is still doing what you need it to do (ccolant testers are cheap at Canadian Tire)? Has it been pressure tested? Have you checked your thermostat to make sure it opens fully and closes at the correct temps? What are your EGTs at when towing (when the overheating occurs)?

uhhh, no. to all the below. i guess i have some work to do. thanks for steering me in the right direction.

yeah, i'm not the most mechanically inclined person out there. in fact, i am clueless when it comes to mechanics. i'll be getting some help with this.

thanks.

Jammer, just having a tranny cooler added is often not enough. Maybe if you give us some more precise details we can help.

Do you have a tranny temp gauge placed where the return line goes into the tranny? If so, what are your tranny fluid temps?What is the condition of the tranny fluid after the overheating (bright red or burnnt)? Where is your tranny cooler located and is it the only cooler or do you still have it plumbed through the radiator tranny cooler? Do you have any slippage in your tranny while towing?

As for the engine, do you have any overheating issues when not towing. Has your cooling system been flushed recently? Have you checked your coolant to make sure it is still doing what you need it to do (ccolant testers are cheap at Canadian Tire)? Has it been pressure tested? Have you checked your thermostat to make sure it opens fully and closes at the correct temps? What are your EGTs at when towing (when the overheating occurs)?

I thought I'd chime in on the HDJ81 as far as towing goes. First off, I do not own, nor have I ever owned an automatic so I can't comment on that. My HDJ81 has the 1HDT and a 5 speed which is a great combination for towing. I load up the truck and roof rack, then connect up a 3000 lb trailer and pull against the prairie winds or in to the foothills with no issues - even with the AC on. I've only had to downshift once or twice going up a hill and that was to lower the EGTs.

The 80s are very comfortable and very capable. Get one with a 5 speed, increase the boost to about 14psi and add an intercooler and you can pull 3500lbs until the cows come home.

1HDT all the way!!

first, the autos suck unless you have the extreme body kit as Greg suggested AND an aux cooler.
next, either the 12HT or the HDT will do the job but 3000 lbs is the MAX i suggest you tow.
also, remember the 12HT is a dated engine so parts are going to get harder to find sooner than later.
next, MAKE SURE you install a tranny temp gauge BEFORE the first tow.

finally, Dodge or Ford make wicked diesel tow vehicles in the early to mid 90s... and this is my suggestion to you, go this route for a tow vehicle.

Whats with the ridiculously low tow limits suggested on this forum? I've no real experience with auto cruisers but for a 5 speed 1-HDT 7500lbs is probably a more realistic max limit. Even my Audi A6 tows 4000lbs quite comfortably. The auto 80 is rated for the same 7700lbs as the 5 speed over here and I can't imagine Toyota selling them if they weren't up to it?

I regularly tow in excess of 7000 lbs all over Scotland and although we may not have grades as long and relentless as you guys, the roads are certainly as challenging if not more so.

Although I've posted this before, I towed this rig 600 miles with no issues, only slowing from a steady 60mph on steeper hills. There was also 6 people in the cruiser and a load of stuff in the Land Rover. :)
land cruiser towing.jpg

ummm, what you CAN tow and can tow COMFORTABLY is usually two different ratings.

if you are doing one or tow heavy pulls a year is one thing, if you are doing a weekly or daily tow or if a happy vacation is relying on the tow then ... well ... it is your enjoyment of life.

i have towed excessive loads over the years and what i do and what i recommend is deffinately two different ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom