hfj81 or hj61 ofr towing a travel trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I'm losing my mind here. I am hopefully selling my little suzuki and need something bigger for towing our little 13' travel trailer which weighs loaded around 3000 lbs. I have 3 options to choose from. Several HJ-61's around for sale most with autos and cable lockers :p

Then there is a few hdj81's around as well. All with Autos. Nice to have 12v electrics for trailer plug and possibly electric brakes as well. Nicer interior but I still love to ruggedness of the 61's

Last is say screw it and get a newer f150 and be done with it and live with US quality issues but much lower kms for the same price. This option would mean me keeping my little samurai as an offroader while either cruiser would hopefully replace both daily driver and offroader duty(mild)

What say ye? I know what everyones opions will be on the Ford! :D :bang:

OK I'm losing my mind here. I am hopefully selling my little suzuki and need something bigger for towing our little 13' travel trailer which weighs loaded around 3000 lbs. I have 3 options to choose from. Several HJ-61's around for sale most with autos and cable lockers :p

Then there is a few hdj81's around as well. All with Autos. Nice to have 12v electrics for trailer plug and possibly electric brakes as well. Nicer interior but I still love to ruggedness of the 61's

Last is say screw it and get a newer f150 and be done with it and live with US quality issues but much lower kms for the same price. This option would mean me keeping my little samurai as an offroader while either cruiser would hopefully replace both daily driver and offroader duty(mild)

Personally, I'd do the HJ61 with the 12HT. 3000 pounds isn't all that bad.

Besides, you aren't in a rush when towing a trailer are you?

For a family vehicle that will be able to wheel, tow, and haul people...it'll be difficult to beat an HDJ81. As much as I love the 12H-T, the 80 is a versatile platform and much more comfortable and easier to lift with the coil springs. Make sure it's had the BEB's done and it's good to go.

Of course you could always buy a cheap FJ80 and drop a 12H-T into it. :D

In Australia it was confirmed the F150 had twice as many trips to the dealer for repairs under warranty than the Landcriuser of the same year.
The war started when Ford showed a TV advert with an F150 walking up a rock strewn hill with a 75 series strapped to its back:D

In Australia it was confirmed the F150 had twice as many trips to the dealer for repairs under warranty than the Landcriuser of the same year.
The war started when Ford showed a TV advert with an F150 walking up a rock strewn hill with a 75 series strapped to its back:D

I'm sure the driver of the Ford was just being proactive and had a planned exit from the bush.

The only time Ford got close to something decent is when the rebadged the Patrol as a Ford Maverick.

Not this one:

4973-1970-Ford-Maverick.jpg

This one:

428_1024_4x4%20008.jpg

The only time Ford got close to something decent is when the rebadged the Patrol as a Ford Maverick.

They sold well too. All because ford in the US couldnt be bothered making RHD models for 2 years

i'm sure the 81 will tow 3000#'s, but it will struggle on our BC hills and over heating could become an issue.

buy an older 350sbc chev PU for the towing and save the cruiser for tent camping and wheeling.

.0000002 cents :D

My fj-60 tows my 20 Glastron better than my friends Suburban.I think its all in the gearing and cooling. Mike

Just get hj61 and tow all you want...

Hi all,
the 61 may do it, but it's not designed for it alllllll the time especialy the auto, i've experienced that already.......get an older SBC/4-bolt main or an F150

Hi all,
the 61 may do it, but it's not designed for it alllllll the time especialy the auto, i've experienced that already.......get an older SBC/4-bolt main or an F150

The auto will handle it if you can keep the fluid cool and take it easy on the hills

The auto will handle it if you can keep the fluid cool and take it easy on the hills

Seriously, who tows with auto? imo the h55f is the only right box for 61...

Seriously, who tows with auto? imo the h55f is the only right box for 61...

Well considering 80% of the Japanese 61 series and sbout 25% of the oz models are auto,I would say more than a handfull.
The A440f auto has solid reputation,just keep the temps down with an aftermarket oil cooler.
The OP mentioned 3000lb,the 61 auto would eat that for breakfast

I dont have a preference for manual or auto,both have their dis/advantages when towing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I wouldn't mind a 5 spd but the autos seem to be more available. As far as buying an old chev truck to tow with.... NOT!

The only other thing that scares me is ICBC and what they are going to do to RHD vehicles in our province.

The only other thing that scares me is ICBC and what they are going to do to RHD vehicles in our province.

I hope you are scared enough to do something about it. That is the only way they will succeed. ICBC is just the tool. The people behind it are the automobile dealers. The trick is to put more pressure on the governement than they do. However, if everyone stays quiet and just posts about it in forums every once and a while, they win. If you want to get involved in the right to own and keep your RHD on the road then join IVOAC.ca Forums - Powered by vBulletin

the 12H-T with a nice intercooler and boosting 14 PSI will do the job .. but it means spend some cash ( thinking a good overall engine ) in those things along with some gauges ..

Gauges that I will add anycase in the 81 as well .. as same as the intercooler and more boost.

None of the auto trannys are ready as factory to haull big loads .. ( more more if the road aren't flat ) ..

A tranny cooler will only do the job hauling a bug trailler only if iut have the way to cool down on the fly .. it meands a tranny cooler with a electric fan and thermo switch or a manual swith in which case you must need a tranny temp gauge.

thanks. I'm thinking hj61 auto with a tranny cooler and an extreme valve body. Have heard these do wonders for tranny temp.

Chet...don't forget the lock up torque converter to go with the extreme valve body also. I'm thinking about doing the same thing for my 80 once I have a baseline with the stock configuration and a little more money to spend on the Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom