Hew here- Jun 72' FJ40 rollbar backseats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI everyone- I finally did it, got my FJ40 - shes a 72 from June of that year- she came with a roll bar and one rear foldable bench seat which was pretty much rubbish. I recently got my hands on rear seats (foldable bench) from a 72' (sloped end seats) - when I went to dry fit them, I noticed that the roll bar is in the way- I'm guessing roll bars were not for this year? Or I have the wrong roll bar? Can anyone tell me? Also I'm switching the ratty seat belts to retractable belts and without a roll bar I cannot instal the top pivot point on the belt- any ideas? I appreciate this info very much- attending the Sonoa (norCal) toyota 4x4 swap meet tomorrow.

72 did not have a roll bar, the jump seats were longer. Later trucks with factory roll bar used shorter seats that fit between the roll bar uprights. I have a 10/72 fitted with a later roll bar and short jump seats. I also have 3 point seatbelts in the front from a 79 mini truck, using the roll bar mount locations.

Thanks a lot- just learned this at the swap meet also- Any suggestions on how to mount a 3 point seat belt without a roll bar? I did a search on the forum and didnt see anything. Cheers-

Newer hardtops have a provision for it, however I'd space out your seats and keep the roll bar.

thanks for your help- I do want to keep it as stock as possible- which is against what I'm trying to do but those 3 inch lap belts suck. I'm thinking of ditching the roll bar, so I will have to figure something out which upgrades the seatbelts- I'm not planning on taking the top off the truck so something on the top would work, just don't see anything that will lend itself.

as far as I know, not all '72s came with factory seat belts, but were installed in the US by the dealer - and they were lap belts only

as far as I know, not all '72s came with factory seat belts, but were installed in the US by the dealer - and they were lap belts only

Yea, I was amazed when I tried to install three point seat belt/shoulder straps in my 3/72 to find that the threaded holes in the floor for the lap belt anchor points were SAE instead of metric. I was so much in denial that it took three trips to the hardware store before I figured it out. Doh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom