Heritage LC or Bronco Raptor (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy a Ford truck. 😊

What I mean by that, is a wrangler or bronco is going to be better off road (especially from the factory), a HD pickup will tow better and a Yukon Denali is a better road trip vehicle, but the 200 can excel in all three areas

Boom nailed it

I like the Bronco but I dont care for the Bronco Raptor. Those flares are just ridiculous looking, cant do it.

The Bronco Ive had my eye on for years is the 4 door soft top Black Diamond 7 speed manual 295 HP 4 cylinder turbo. Comes standard with rear locker, vinyl seats and floors. The sticker price for that vehicle in 2021 was about $41k. Optional Sasquatch package with 35s and front locker. Starting in 2022 you could get the manual with Sasquatch package. ( 7 speed manual + lockerS and 35s). Sticker price on one of those was about $47500. You can buy either of those today with low mileage in the low $40s and still under factory warranty, which is pretty attractive.

But alas the reliability sucks compared to LC of course, so the question has to be, do you buy a Heritage or do you buy TWO (2) $40k Broncos, 1 to drive and 1 for the shop haha

Ford’s “off roader” is snapping tie rods. Typical bottom dollar big three junk.

I considered both these vehicles as well. You can see what decision I made.

I think the Broncos are badass but I know too many Ford guys who are always having stupid problems. Sunroof fell off track, drivers door won't lock, shifter malfunctioning, etc etc.

You really need to be honest with yourself and decide how you are going to use it. Are you going to actually offroad it on very difficult trails? If so, I think there is a pretty clear advantage with the Bronco. The amount of time and money you would have to spend to get an LC to the same level as a stock Braptor would be pretty huge. Lockers, 37's, 3" coilovers, long travel, etc.

Even then, the LC may still may have some disadvantages around approach and departure angles since the overhangs on the Braptor are almost non-existent with the 37's.

Yeah because thats not ever a problem on Toyota's. The 200/Tundra might not have those issues but every other Toyota BOF truck and SUV seems to.

Steering racks, tie rods, CV's, etc are a pretty common upgrade on 4Runners/Tacomas/GX's.

Yeah because thats not ever a problem on Toyota's. The 200/Tundra might not have those issues but every other Toyota BOF truck and SUV seems to.

Steering racks, tie rods, CV's, etc are a pretty common upgrade on 4Runners/Tacomas/GX's.

There was this other thread comparing key steering component sizes. The 200-series is in a league of it's own.

It's been said the 200-series has big suspension parts. Possibly legendary in some circles.

The Lite Brite channel just gave us some key dimensions for a few parts. Including the notoriously weak steering rack on the Sasquatch Bronco. So just how big is big?

Bronco SasquatchBronco Raptor200-series
Steering rack threaded inner rod14mm15mm22mm o_O
Steering rack tie rod end22.54mm24.89mm27mm 💪
CV axle shaft30.53mm31.06mm31.4mm

Separately, I've been looking at other dimensions . There's many similarities in proportions and architecture. I believe we can build Raptor R levels of performance out of the 200-series with some key mods but that's a thread for another time.

View attachment 3229812

View attachment 3229811

View attachment 3229806

There was this other thread comparing key steering component sizes. The 200-series is in a league of it's own.

Exactly, but my point was that the rest of the Toyotas have that as a common issue. Anyone who seriously wheels a J120/150 or Tacoma is carrying CV's and tie rods in their emergency kit. And its becoming a semi common upgrade to go to Tundra/200 racks on those platforms now, which is not a cheap or easy endevour.

Ragging on the Ford about that is like the pot calling the kettle black.

IMG_7019.png

Why not both? 2016 LC and a bronco with Sasquatch package?

When you go 3 hours down a rocky trail away from help, you don't want to know that your vehicle has reliability issues. If you are using the Braptor around "civilization", the reliability is more of a nuisance than life threatening. A big nuisance, but still just a nuisance. I'm knocking on my wooden desk as I type this because every vehicle can have a STB day, but less likely in the LC.

I was full steam ahead on the Bronco as a "fun" vehicle until the games dealers played and the reliability issues mounted. I think we are less than a year away from them piling up on dealer lots and you can go back to using the "name your price" tool when negotiating on Bronco. (Maybe not the Braptor, but most other versions)

Yeah but these are stock Broncos breaking things. Very rare for a stock Toyota anything to break stuff.

Yeah but these are stock Broncos breaking things. Very rare for a stock Toyota anything to break stuff.

Well a stock bronco comes with 35's or 37's and lockers front and rear. So I guess were talking about different things. Those trucks could run the Rubicon bone stock. And there are 500 companies offering upgraded tie rods if its really a problem.

Meanwhile the TRD Pro 4Runner, the elitist of the elite, is on 32's and a rear locker needs extended bumps stops and the body mounts chopped off and rewelded to fit anything over a 285/70.

I saw a post the other day on the GX group of a GX that some guy had built up with 35's, bumper, winch, and all the goodies and got buried in the sand on a river bank and snapped both front CV's and needed to get towed out.

Last edited:
The LC may be boring to drive - but to me long term reliability and peace of mind is priceless. You'll go through 2, maybe 3 Broncos to every 1 LC.
That’s awfully generous. I’d honestly say 7+ Broncos if not 19—maybe more! I’d trust a well-maintained LC with 400k over a bronco…but that isn’t saying much since I’d trust a maintained LC with 400k over a lot of vehicles. With the extreme reliability issues I’ve seen on the broncos I’m embarrassed when I see them on the road—and let’s not even bring up durability.

That’s awfully generous. I’d honestly say 7+ Broncos if not 19—maybe more! I’d trust a well-maintained LC with 400k over a bronco…but that isn’t saying much since I’d trust a maintained LC with 400k over a lot of vehicles. With the extreme reliability issues I’ve seen on the broncos I’m embarrassed when I see them on the road—and let’s not even bring up durability.
So are you going out an buying a 400k mile Land Cruiser? Or anywhere close to that? You could probably get it for a great price.

Well a stock bronco comes with 35's or 37's and lockers front and rear. So I guess were talking about different things. Those trucks could run the Rubicon bone stock. And there are 500 companies offering upgraded tie rods if its really a problem.

Meanwhile the TRD Pro 4Runner, the elitist of the elite, is on 32's and a rear locker needs extended bumps stops and the body mounts chopped off and rewelded to fit anything over a 285/70.

I saw a post the other day on the GX group of a GX that some guy had built up with 35's, bumper, winch, and all the goodies and got buried in the sand on a river bank and snapped both front CV's and needed to get towed out.

The debate was 200 vs bronco. 200 CVs are a much less common issue compared to GX/4Runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom