Help with height... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just in the middle of a long term restoration over several years on a '82 BJ42...
I'm just finishing off frame, suspension and axles at the moment... I installed a full Old Man Emu suspension (not Dakar), and I'm wondering how much lift I'm going to end up with with the OME and some 33x10.5 MT's... Particularly, whether it'll clear my garage door....Can someone with the same configuration help me out with an overall height from floor to top of the hardtop? Now that the suspension is installed, and I'm test fitting my new rims... it's looking kind of high... I may have to end up with 31's if necessary to clear the door... P.S. BJ42 is identical to FJ40 for frame, ride height etc. so anyone with a 40 can help...

striker3636 said:
Particularly, whether it'll clear my garage door.......

Welcome.

If you have a 7' door, you should be fine.

:beer:

I've got 82", 2" shy of the 7'... Maybe its just because there's no weight sitting on the suspension other than the bare frame right now, but judging by where my rear crossmember is sitting, I can't see getting tub and hardtop in there between it and the door

Put it together and then measure.

Not having weight on the chassis will not give you any form of accurate measurement...

Good luck!

-Steve

I'm hoping someone will measure a similar cruiser for me... I'm buying tires shortly, but vehicle won't be back together for some time... and I'm looking for assistance with the tire size decision... a couple inches between 31's and 33's might mean getting it in the door or not...and I dont want to air down the tires every day to get it inside.

striker3636 said:
I'm buying tires shortly, but vehicle won't be back together for some time...

Guess I do not follow the "logic" here....

If you are not going to have the truck back in an operational condition for " some time "( I read multiple years ), why would you put monies into something that will not further the project today?

You can get tires that will fit, when you have the truck put together...

Good luck! :)

-Steve

I'm wondering the same thing Poser is.

But for what it's worth with and OME spring lift and 33's my cruiser would just fit in the garage (7' door.)

My logic is this... I'll have it done within the year (as in 12 months, not this year)... I want to be able to use my wheel dollies to move the frame, axles, engine etc. out of the way and get it off the frame/axle stands... So... I need tires and wheels mounted to do so... and it doesnt make sense to get some junk tires for now and pay for an extra round of mounting... plus... i've got some real nice new alloys to put them on, and I'm itchin to see what they look like...
Anyway, most of the money is spent, I have boxes full of new dealer parts floating around here, luckily not too many discontinued parts on the BJ42's... all my small parts are restored and put away from the last few years of work... Its just a little tub body work left, paint and reassembly.
And with several thousand hours of labour involved and a lot more $$$.... It needs to fit in the garage!
If i had more time and energy I'd start a resto post with pics.

cool man, I am not going after you...

can't find ANYONE around there with four stockish size wheels and tires they do not want, as in free or for a twelve pack????

I couldn't possibly put dirty, rusty wheels on my restored to new baby....it just wouldnt be right... the cruiser gods would be angry, and bad things would happen. Has to be new, shiny or freshly painted to qualify for attachment. That old tire and wheel thing sounds like a Jeep thing that I just don't understand.

I'll go with rusty_tlc's post and hope for the best...

striker3636 said:
I couldn't possibly put dirty, rusty wheels on my restored to new baby....it just wouldnt be right... the cruiser gods would be angry, and bad things would happen. Has to be new, shiny or freshly painted to qualify for attachment. That old tire and wheel thing sounds like a Jeep thing that I just don't understand...

wow.

I am running a stock 76 fj40, 4 inch sua, with 35's and if I creep, I mean really creep, I make it into my 7' door.

I had to make the garage door open to full capacity though.

It'll fit.

Rezarf <><

Sounds like Rezarf answered your question.

I'd say (just in case):
1.) Once all together, install the hardtop after EVERYTHING else is done. If it looks too high (could measure height to top of tub and add height of top) just roll it outside to put the top on.
2.) put it all together, and if it won't fit then put a temporary set of old small tires on it until you get it outside.

having said, I may have mis-red your post: I guess you plan on keeping it in the garage once it is done. I was looking at this as more of a "how do I get it out once it's done" ;)

I've seen a few serious offroad trucks that actually compress there vehicles to get them to fit on the truck using racheting straps. If you could figure a way to compress it and then release it one it was in or out of the garage it may be the way to go.

Thanks guys...
If Rezarf's fits, mine will for sure.

i have staun deflators set to four pounds ...just air the tires down, drive in, air up.

Mine's SOA on 35's and will not fit under a 7' garage door without airing down the rear tires. It's just the rollbar that won't fit. You shouldn't be that high, so I'm guessing you'll be fine. That was before my '40 began it's long buildup journey and is lying around in parts...........and before my new shop. I'm gonna have a 12' high door there, so no mo worries!!!!

i have a 77 fj40 with an ome lift and 33" tsl's and it all fits in the garage, i assume a standard garage, 7 foot. also, i believe the ome suspensions grew (about an inch, due to the shackles) in '81 (maybe '80). so keep that in mind, but you should be able to fit just fine.

anyone please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on my facts.
-brian

Several years...........BJ42...........so you're in Canada?

Don't they use 8' garage doors in Canada? But metric, of course.

82 fj40 set up just like yours but with 33x9.5's, I am 76-78" so well under 7'

I do have a leaf pulled from the rear OME springs and very little wieght in the rear of the 40, but even so......you should be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom