Help with controls on new to me 80 Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a 1st time owner of a 1980 FJ40 LC and am still trying to get acquainted with the controls šŸ˜©for example, I donā€™t know what this conte operates nor do I understand the stmb. I had a front and rear heater installed and cannot figure out how to turn the heaters on šŸ˜©šŸ˜© I had to have the gas tank replaced and now the fuel gauge doesnā€™t work. Would LOVE for someone to help me and walk me through these basics šŸ™šŸ» Please and thank you!!!

AACDFFB7-FD15-4892-904F-F20008C3CA3E.jpeg

08F9B00C-FC45-4D44-9B6B-565E78047569.jpeg

Looks like a hand throttle to me. Is there a sheathed cable running to a bracket on the firewall near the top of the accelerator pedal?

And BTW, welcome to MUD!

I think the knob in the picture is a throttle positioner ( for low speed 4L crawling). If you want help we will need more pictures and info. Starting with - is that 40 from the Middle East?

Thank you all so very much for your replies!! 4Cruisers - your questions are ā€œGreekā€ to me. I donā€™t even understand your question so I am not sure how to answer. I am not am truly at baby steps with this thing. fjc-man yes split rims ā€” true story šŸ˜¢ will have to tackle that next but not sure how or who will help me with that. And yes - I am told it was in service in Bahrain before it was transported to Arizona. I fell in love with it, bought it and had it delivered to me in Montana. Thank you all for your insight and help.

When you pull up on the knob does it pull the top of the accelerator pedal towards you? Same as if you push down on the pedal with your foot? If so, that's a hand throttle.

Bezel is circled...
B52790A0-1FB1-4D15-856E-79FC642317E0.jpeg

Thanks guys! I liked the chrome bezel too. No stripped cloth seat covers- Iā€™ve attached a picture of them as they are now, reupholstered in grey. Definitely no A/C. Had front and rear heater installed as part of the purchase arrangement due to my living in Montana and heat being a MUST. By P/S do you meant power steering? If so that is a NO.

D12BF981-F905-47A0-88BA-2F548FB576BD.jpeg

Iā€™m grumpy this morning. Can someone tell me if these questions are a dream or MC1R are you having a blonde moment?

My first FJ40, which is still my only FJ40, forced me to hover IH8Mud and try to answer my own questions the old school DIY non-certified mechanic way.

Pull all the knobs, push them, turn them, knock on the instrument panel to see why needles werenā€™t moving and try to pretend that I could diagnose why when I changed turning signal bulbs that either my horns stopped working or my turning signals stopped blinking. I even found out how to change the mystery bulb on the headlight knob with Sherlock deduction that it must light up because there is clear plastic on the front.

Welcome aboard mC1R. You found a nice rig. No matter what country it came from.

Ps. I donā€™t see a front heater that you mentioned in the cabin photo. Updates?

looks to have a FF rear

Donā€™t know your proximity in Montana to an ā€˜esteemedā€™ contributor here on Mud: @rkymtnflyfisher but.....................
If itā€™s a within reason distance, a nice drive (and maybe a case of beer!) might get you some real time answers to your ā€œquestionsā€ :cheers:

Donā€™t know your proximity in Montana to an ā€˜esteemedā€™ contributor here on Mud: @rkymtnflyfisher but.....................
If itā€™s a within reason distance, a nice drive (and maybe a case of beer!) might get you some real time answers to your ā€œquestionsā€ :cheers:

Weā€™re about 4 hours away from each other.

Itā€™s definitely a nice drive though, solid fishing in between!

Weā€™re about 4 hours away from each other.

Itā€™s definitely a nice drive though, solid fishing in between!
Isnā€™t pretty much everything 4 hours away in Montana? šŸ¤£

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom