Help upgrade the Bull (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.davidmichelle.org
I posted this question in my local chapter forum as well but wanted some feedback from some 60 owners with different backgrounds.

For the general wheeling that I do, think southeast rock and minimal mud, do you think it is best to be armored, expo'ed, etc. to the hilt, weight be damned, or do you think appropriate mods for protection with an eye towards keeping the truck light would be the best approach? Some buddies are convinced that my 60 goes so well because it's "light" for a cruiser, especially compared to his 80 beast. I know the old 2F appreciates my minimalistic approach so far, but as I'm starting to really planning my upgrades and need to take a direction.

Not necessarily the most technical question, I know, but wanted to get some feedback. Ideas are tube bumpers vs. plate steel IPOR/4x4Labs/ARB heft. Minimal sleeping platform vs full out platform, drawers for everything, etc.

The truck goes really well off-road. Will put Aussie locker in the rear and try to get another inch lift on it, and possibly an Aussie in the front, no suspension/drivetrain mods, unless I need extra leafs in the case I armor to the hilt. Would like to do some harder trails, but never see me doing Hellivator/GuardRail/fender crunching type stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Sent using the kickin' IH8MUD Android app

it depends on what type of upgrading you want

your buddies 80 series is only a few hundred pounds heavier then yours.

if you want protection(armour) which you already have sliders and a front winch bumper, it will weight your truck down.

armour will not make your truck do better on harder trails.

if you want more offroad capability you need bigger tires, so either a 2in body lift or soa

i think your truck is in good shape and looks good. i would throw an aussie locker in the rear and leave it at that unless you want bigger tires. dont put an aussie in the front unless this truck is for offroad only. a selectable locker (arb) would be better suited for the front.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and compliment on the truck. I should have attached a pic of the truck, so I'll do that at the end of the post. I'll also post up a pic of the 80 that I was referencing earlier.

I want to be able to do all the intermediate trails around, as well as any expedition style wheeling when I get a chance. An additional inch of lift would be nice, but probably won't change tires, unless I go SOA, but that's not in the budget for a while. Shackles can get me the lift I want, as I'm running stock length ones now.

I've been thinking an Aussie would help me more than most anything else I can do. Especially when I can see how it helps other 60s on the trail.

My bigger concern is adding too much weight, so I think a simple receiver hitch bumper with quarter protection is all that I'm going to add. And rework the front bumper to increase approach angle.

But would still love to hear any more suggestions.

IMG00734-20110520-0910.jpg

IMG00795-20110521-1545.jpg

We are kind of in the same boat right now. I like how minimal my 60 is.

I'd say unless you really need that big ol' bumper and weight adding mods leave them off and keep enjoying your 60 for what it is, a highly capable off-road vehicle.

I even wonder about the sliders I put on. I had a pretty good hit on the passenger side while off-roading. It hit about 3 inches below the body, so would I have even hit the body OR was the slider in the way?

I think a rear tube bumper is a good option. I don't ever see having a swing out on my 60. A tube bumper with quarter panel protection is more realistic.

But I like my stock bumpers for now :D

Now I can say that my locker in rear end was a very good mod. Don't regret that at all. I would not put one in the front end though, it would be crazy annoying.

My 60 is an outright tank compared to my pickup. The difference between a 60 & an 80 is pretty nominal, IMO. I've never been a fan of exo cages because they look dumb. And putting an exo on an already wide vehicle like a LC means you will have serious trouble squeezing between the trees/boulders, etc.

Here's my plan, which should give you a good idea of my opinion on the matter:
-cut off rocker panels and put in sliders, good protection without loosing any clearance
-minimalist rear bumper (2x4 steel) with integrated tube "quarter panel sliders" (chop quarters)
-front bumper
-eventually an interior roll cage for safety's sake

I think the design of the stock front and rear bumper can be improved upon to get better approach/departure angles. I would avoid longer shackles in the front for the same reason. I've never really understood the point of "armored to the hilt" if it's a trail truck, its going to get some dents and dings... you should wear them proudly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom