Help, Please. What Is This "Fuel Line" Thing I Just Broke? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was cleaning up some stuff underneath and barley pushed on this "fuel line" that comes from inside the cab behind the fuel filler cover on the passenger side, down underneath along the frame rail, and up to this canister I'm pointing at. Looks like it's been rusted through for awhile and nothing has traveled through it. What is it? What does it do? Is it important? And can I not drive it until it's replaced? Thanks
IMG_20170227_143835_zps7nkdswrt.jpg

IMG_20170227_143853_zps7mtoxa6f.jpg

IMG_20170227_143910_zpsjrsemahm.jpg

The 'filter' in the picture is a vacuum valve and the line is a vapor line to the charcoal canister. OEM lines come up in the classified once in a while:), fab one from brake line tubing;) or run fuel line hose the entire length:(.

The OEM vacuum valve may be available from some of the vendors on 'mud. Aftermarket ones are available but you'll need to check a FSM for the rating, because I don't remember off the top of my head.

Odds are pretty good the vacuum valve still works. You could run a temporary piece of fuel hose to reconnect the line until you get a replacement.

It's not fatal, but not being hooked up could cause some performance issues and a gas odor in the cab.

If you have a FSM there should be info to check the vacuum valve for proper operation.

Or a really nice 'mud member can chime in.

That rupture is unusual. I recommend spending a little time investigating WHY it happened, rather than just replacing the part. Could be treating a symptom rather than the root problem.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Shoot almost every 40 I've had that hardline is broke/rusted off where it runs through that section of the tub...but I'm in the Midwest...

It wasn't anything mechanical that caused it to break. Just years of rust and me pushing on it. It's right in front of the rear wheel and I'm sure accumulates a lot of mud, road salt, etc over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom