Help me decide which 100 series...Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here’s my dilemma...

My perfect LC/LX wasn’t made at the factory ;) or at least not available CONUS from what I’ve read.

Heres some things I’d like:
Apple CarPlay Head Unit
Rear AC
5 speed transmission?
ATRAC or locking rear diff

How big of an improvement is the 5 speed vs 4 speed?

How big of a deal is not having ATRAC/locking diff? How much would it cost to add either one? Is it even worth it. Probably won’t be off-roading a lot but want to be able to resell it and would like to not get stuck in the snow etc.

Last edited:
Best Advice, Drive both

Its easier to put a Locking Diff in a 5 speed than a 5 speed in a factory locked.....(Never been done per mud knowledge)
Its easier to swap out head units in the pre 2003 models

I am going to just assume that a 2000 or newer with ATRAC and VSC will be better on the road.

If you really want Apple carplay an older one would be best, if you are not offroading a front locker is not needed. Good tires in snow mean more than the vehicle itself

Here’s my dilemma...

My perfect LC/LX wasn’t made at the factory ;)

Heres some things I’d like:
Apple CarPlay Head Unit
Rear AC
5 speed transmission
ATRAC or locking rear diff

How big of a deal is not having ATRAC/locking diff? How much would it cost to add either one? Is it even worth it. Probably won’t be off-roading a lot but want to be able to resell it and would like to not get stuck in the snow etc.

How much would it cost to put in a 5 speed transmission? I’m guessing it’s cost prohibitive ;)

There’s a 99 LX470 with about 150K miles for around 11K nearby. I was thinking I’d add an Apple CarPlay Head Unit. And maybe a front and rear locking diff. Does this make sense/is this a good deal or should I just wait for a 2000-2002 or even a 2003+ and try to swap out the factory head unit (which seems like a crap ton of work).

(Why not throw in a 2UR/3UR engine swap, a Diesel conversion, or a SAS conversion while you're at it :) )

I have both in the driveway. I prefer the 5spd, but could live with the 4spd.

If you're not offroading a lot, I'd lean toward ATRAC/VSC. It's much easier to add a locker to a ATRAC vehicle than to add ATRAC to a factory locker vehicle.

How much would it cost to put in a 5 speed transmission? I’m guessing it’s cost prohibitive

I theory it could be done, but it would be cost prohibitive.

There’s a 99 LX470 with about 150K miles for around 11K nearby. I was thinking I’d add an Apple CarPlay Head Unit. And maybe a front and rear locking diff. Does this make sense/is this a good deal or should I just wait for a 2000-2002 or even a 2003+ and try to swap out the factory head unit (which seems like a crap ton of work).
For my son, a modern stereo was a must have, so he's got a 2000 TLC.

For myself, I do just fine with a 2006 LX and a "stereo addon box". While I'd love to have some additional stereo options, I can't justify the conversion costs to remove the nav system.

Most of these subjects have been covered numerous times on the forum:

4spd vs 5spd:
ATRAC vs Locker:
5spd retrofit:
Retrofit ATRAC:
Adding locker:
2003+ Nav removal
2003+ Stereo alternatives:

Last edited:
The 5 speed would be nice, but if you want Apple Car Play, that stereo change is going to be VERY difficult and expensive if you're not a fabricator/wiring guru.

I'd go older. The 4 speed kinda sucks, but so does the factory head unit in the later models...

The 5 speed would be nice, but

I'd go older. The 4 speed kinda sucks, b..

I wil refrain from driving a newer one and keep enjoying the 98! Ignorance is bliss haha

I love the simplisity of the 98, all analog controls ie the AC/ HVAC can all be controleld without having to look down because they are dials, no touch screen needed.

I love my '98. Sure, the 4 speed isn't exactly the cat's meow, the 2 pinion front differential is known for spontaneously exploding when exposed to sunlight (kidding), doesn't have the ATRAC and it doesn't have the extra air bags. But, it's simple and I like that. The LSD rear on my LX has been fantastic. Not as good as a locker obviously, but very effective nonetheless. I have never bought the "first model year" of any vehicle in the past. Always waited for the bugs to be worked out. The LandCruiser family is the exception. Built too well across the boards.

I've had both (two different '99s and an '03) and I prefer the driving experience on the older 100, so much so that I bought another '99 the second go-around. I think the newer 100s have a more civilized ride but I like the simplicity of the earlier, less integrated models. I don't think a conversion would be worth the effort, so if you prefer a 5-speed, I would focus on buying a newer one. I've had the rear locker on both '99s and no locker on the '03, and for 99% of your driving, it won't make a lick of difference. Resale will hinge heavily on the overall condition of the vehicle, not having the locking rear diff isn't going to be a deal breaker for most buyers as you can always add an Air Locker later. Take your time, the right one is out there!

If you're not going to use it offroad, or even just occasionally, why spend all the money to add lockers? You'd be surprised what it can do as it sits.

the 1999 was the last year for a factory rear locker. Try to find one if oyur looking for those years. The 4 speed drives fine, but I dont know how the 5 speed holds up. I think that all trucks with third rows had rear air. Dont quote me on that.

for me, 01-02 was the sweet spot. Non nav, ATRAC, childseat latches and half the price of a decent 05+

I can deal with the 4 speed vs saving $5-7k, I can get ARB lockers and other stuff w/ that loot!!

I had a 2000 for 7 years and now I've had an 03 for 2 years. I preferred the simplicity of the 2000 ever so slightly, although I like the exterior updates on the 03. The 00 did seem to have more problems though. If I ever come across a clean 02 without nav, I will probably buy it as my forever 100. The 03+ HVAC/nav integration is going to be a huge issue at some point down the line on these trucks.

I have a 2002 that I purchased with 140k for $9000. In terms of the 4 speed, it is a little slow in the pick up, but I have enjoyed the ride nonetheless. I have not driven one with the 5 speed, but I feel comfortable enough with what I have. Especially when off-road, I haven't felt the need for the 5 speed. I take it easy when I drive too, so keep your driving style in mind when choosing.

In terms of the stereo, get a nonNAV if you plan on upgrading the stereo, which limits your choice to 2002 or earlier. I bought one with NAV before reading on MUD how difficult it is to get rid of. I did the NAV delete, but I did it myself because the local stereo shop wanted $1000 for just the rewiring. It isn't easy, but I would plan better next time.

Best advice I can give you is to drive a few with the knowledge you now have about the NAV and the transmission and see which one you like better.

Good luck.

You can add bluetooth to the 2003+ for $150. You plug it into the back of the stereo in place of the cd changer and use the steering wheel controls and info will display on the info screen.

All 100s are best in class. I have an ‘04 and love it - drive it every day. My advice is like others, be patient and test drive both. I prefer the 5 speed and the updates that came on 03+ models. The 5 speed is really smooth and gets WAY better fuel economy (ha). Best of luck.

If you're not going to use it offroad, or even just occasionally, why spend all the money to add lockers? You'd be surprised what it can do as it sits.
Exactly what I was thinking. Until you need something like lockers regularly to do what you want to do, I'd hold off on purchasing. There is plenty to spend your money on with these rigs! I'd spend that on some KO2s.

Plus, you mentioned resale value. Any aftermarket lockers are not going to add much value to the truck. As someone else said, value will come from age, miles, and condition.

98 do not have rear air conditioning

99 rear air was an optoon and i think it became standard 2000+

I had an 05 and recently picked up an 06.

IMO the extra HP of the 06 is worth a couple grand. I really enjoy being able to climb hills with ease and accelerate quickly on demand.

I also really enjoy the AVS. Selecting sport for winding roads and soft for a bumpy terrain really makes it stand out as a performance vehicle and the ride is much nicer.

You really can't go wrong with the 98-02, 03-05, or 06-07. ;)

i have a 99 and I have carplay :)
493bc0c3-543e-4732-a33b-c7db305727f7-jpeg.1700650

I really wish I had the 5 speed... but I also like not having to deal with the factory nav that was a symptom of those models... I do really enjoy my factory locking rear, but ATRAC would be nice in snow and from a safety standpoint. If you don't plan to do anything offroad, don't worry about it. Even from a resale standpoint, most people can get by with just the ATRAC.

i have a 99 and I have carplay :)
493bc0c3-543e-4732-a33b-c7db305727f7-jpeg.1700650

I really wish I had the 5 speed... but I also like not having to deal with the factory nav that was a symptom of those models... I do really enjoy my factory locking rear, but ATRAC would be nice in snow and from a safety standpoint. If you don't plan to do anything offroad, don't worry about it. Even from a resale standpoint, most people can get by with just the ATRAC.
Hello, I’m having a hard time finding an upgrade to replace the OEM CD changer/ radio unit after replaced it twice. I really like your Apple CarPlay, would you advise the manufacturer and model? Is it easy to install, cost, and are you happy with the unit. Tgabks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom